How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To be honest, i'm scard.

Default To be honest, i'm scard.

Hi guys,
    (warning! It's long )
    i'm sure some of you have seen some posts of mine here on WB. This time it's not about another idea, another website or another project that i'm excited about. I have new and exciting ideas all the time and i get demotivated about them so fast that lately i started thinking "what's wrong with me?!"

But the truth is, i never took any of my projects seriously. I registered at least 5 domains which i thought had a HUGE potential and i never really focused ONLY at them. I have been working full time in the last 6.5 years, and it is taking its toll. I have some time to work on my personal websites while at work but it's not ideal - i get phone calls, i get mails and i get colleagues visiting, i'm just not totally devoted to my projects there.

Today (yeah, really, today!), i decided that this is it. After talking to my mom (as she's my number 1 fan for the last 30 years) and realizing she's giving me her 100% support and believing in my goals and abilities, we came up with a plan.
    But i'm scared.
    I know it's the best thing that could happen to me and it's finally a step towards my biggest dream - becoming "free" - free of bosses, free of fixed working hours, free of making money for others. I have an opportunity of (maybe) a lifetime, but it's really intimidating.

This is the plan:
    I am going to ask for a raise
    In June, i will ask to reduce my hours and work half-time
    In my free days i will work for 8 hours a day (or more) on my ONE big project, at home
    If all goes by plan - i will be able to quit my job after achieving a decent amout of passive income.

This plan is great for me, as i will be able to still keep my job aside if my business will not grow as i want it to.
    But if my boss won't let me work half time, i also have some savings which can give me total freedom to work on my stuff for at least 4 months if i'll have to quit my job.
    If my boss won't even give me my well desrved raise (it's been more than 3 years) - then i guess i'll have to say goodbye anyway, it's just not worth it to keep working there.

And now about my project - after trying different niches and ideas, i keep coming back to what i love to do the most - Wordpress. I was and still a little afraid to try and build an online business around it (like a tutorials website) because it's such a saturated niche, and there is HUGE competition, but lately i keep thinking that i should go for it because it really is my BIGGEST passion, and here in Israel there is still a LOT to do and teach about WP, and hopefully over time i can even make myself a name of an expert and get invited to talk in conferences and courses, which will be awesome (it's happening already actually...).

So it seems that i have a plan for the next few months, i have enough money to live without a job for a while, i have a website plan and i'm really, really happy that i am finally going to actually do this. But changes are so scary, you just keep thinking "what if i'll regret it?"... but then again, the time is right, and i want it so much for so long...!

That's it, i decided to share this huge decision with you guys first, before my friends even heard of it. I think you're objective and may relate to some of the things i've wrote and i'd love to hear from you

Thank you for your time,
    Maya.

Hi My name is Zach, I own two companies and I know exactly where you are coming from.

See, around a year ago, I was just a college graduate with a bachelors and no direction, I was given advise to work for a firm, though due to my erratic sleep patterns (not waking up before 9 and going to bed at 5am)

I was 100% not motivated to work for anyone else. I've been a great self started since I was a teenager, I've also had the luxury to learn the basics, and a few advanced things during my childhood, which now are a solid foundation for what I now do.

Fear, is a very rational thing, and I am very impressed with your plan to manage income risk; some (most) people just jump the gun, quit their job, risk and lose everything in the first few months. So if I could give one (first) piece of advise, may I say; relax, it's going to be fun, and if you don't make it, you will never ever say, "what would have happened if I had just tried".

Honestly, that's what motivated me. I kind of just woke up one day and asked myself, "I can make excuses now, but what if ten years down the road, and ask, what could have happened if I had just tried,"? Today, i know the answer, I'd probablly have a few less grey hairs, (I'm 20 right now btw) I'd probablly have a few more restful nights (there is (at least for me) a stress factor)
    But, I'd also never know.

Today like I had mentioned I own two companies, one pays my rent, and the other is a startup that I've started. lol

So, in point, relax, and know, you will know what will happen, the risk can be worth the reward if managed properly.

Sorry, I don't really know what else to say, except good luck! Also please keep us updated, or if there is anyway I could help, let me know!

There's one thing that I'm afraid of, and it's the fact that you're giving yourself a timeframe to reach your success. 4 months is not enough to time to make a full-time income online. I've yet to meet someone who hasn't spent at least a year online before reaching the $2000 a month point.

So don't choose quitting your job. I think the part-time position will work better for you.

Secondly, this niche is very, very saturated, so you have to be the absolute best. I'm talking about being thoroughly engaged with your audience and social media, creating very helpful and detailed Youtube videos, and providing content and value that no other competitor has. You have to go to a competitor website and say "Pfft. I can explain this so much better!"

Your audience has to know that if they want to figure out how to do A, B, or C on Wordpress, then MAYA is the Queen source for information. They need to know that you're a REAL PERSON who is an expert in this niche.

If you can do all that, then you're golden. But keep your passion for Wordpress as your drive, not desperation to quit your job.

I agree with the timeframe point Jay brought up. I looked at internet marketing for the first time in 2007 and back then I had no clue about website design - it's taken a long time for me to get where I am but I will never "arrive" at a point where I believe my income is totally secure.

First of all - thanks Zach, Jay and Darren for your answers and tips - i appreciate it.

@Zach, i think it's great that you are "only" 20 and own 2 companies, i mean - these days anyone can register a company - but to have something of your own that pays your rent - that's really something to be proud of when you're so young. And you're right - relax is a very important key, and the fact that i have enough money to live with for the next few months might help me be a little less stressed.

But, as Jay said - this time frame might be a little too short. I hope i can keep my job and work half time, but if not - i might look for something else, just to make sure i have something "solid" at the mean time. The thing is, i'm tired of waiting and thinking "one day i'll finally start my business and be serious about it". I'm not married yet, i don't have children, i don't have mortgage, i basically don't have too many obligations, and in the future i will definitely (and hopefully) have those - so why not start everything now, while i "can"?

I know it's gonna be hard and i'll have to be VERY creative, and very patient - but hey - it's worth it, no? Even if i'll start getting a passive income (a decent one) only in 5 years - it's worth my freedom, my hours, my dreams. That's how i see it... i might be wrong and sorry for this, but at this time, everything is still "fixable".

Thanks again guys!

First of all I am proud of your honesty and being brave enough to publicly state your fears, etc.

I also agree it's going to take longer than 4 months. It took me 4 years before I was comfortable quitting my 9 to 5 (but I am also on the ultra conservative side when it comes to spending and money). Give it time and never quit your job until you have at least double what you REALLY need to live comfortably. I'd say even more than that but that's a minimum.

With regards to the WordPress tutorials it is indeed saturated so start with a list. Jot down everything you think that is currently missing from this space. And not just content, but presentation, concept, etc. Really spend some time in this area because you don't want to get swallowed up.

Also be prepared to be consistent with whatever you put out. Don't get frustrated if you don't see much happen after a couple of months. It's a different time now and it takes a while to get some traction. So stay focused and good luck!

Also you should use this thread as your update thread to keep you on track/focused and for any motivation you need along the way. We'll be here for ya. I wish you the best!

Lisa - thanks for the support!

I think that now, almost 24 hours since my "big decision", i understand that besides the dream of becoming an online business owner, i really need a huge change of the routine i've had for the last 6+ years. So yes, i agree with everyone who's saying that 4 months are not enough, and that i should keep my job as long as i don't make enough money. But if my boss won't like the idea of reducing hours, i might still find something else as a half time job. So except for the need to start my own business, i feel like i can get something better than my current job anyway, and this is why i think those changes are necessary for me at this point of my life.

So yes, i'm ready to be consistent, to be creative, to be devoted, to "dive" into this saturated niche and "attack" it in my country. I'm really excited. And i'm ready for this journey, with some fear and a little bit of courage.

And as you suggested - i will take this thread as an update thread and keep updating about the proccess. This community is just awesome and i'm so glad i found it.

Hi Maya, since you like ideas, here is one. Since you are thinking of working part-time, I advise you to work a night shift. You may ask why, simply because you can have the mornings to work on your project, why morning, because you can put a lot of effort into your work instead of losing a lot of energy in your job and then return home half tired, which can effect your performance. I also would advise to put more time in learning and experimenting. I don't know about you but that would work great for me if I find a part time job that pays the necessities.
    Be the change you want to see in the world

Quote Originally Posted by mayabi View Post
    First of all - thanks Zach, Jay and Darren for your answers and tips - i appreciate it.

@Zach, i think it's great that you are "only" 20 and own 2 companies, i mean - these days anyone can register a company - but to have something of your own that pays your rent - that's really something to be proud of when you're so young. And you're right - relax is a very important key, and the fact that i have enough money to live with for the next few months might help me be a little less stressed.

But, as Jay said - this time frame might be a little too short. I hope i can keep my job and work half time, but if not - i might look for something else, just to make sure i have something "solid" at the mean time. The thing is, i'm tired of waiting and thinking "one day i'll finally start my business and be serious about it". I'm not married yet, i don't have children, i don't have mortgage, i basically don't have too many obligations, and in the future i will definitely (and hopefully) have those - so why not start everything now, while i "can"?

I know it's gonna be hard and i'll have to be VERY creative, and very patient - but hey - it's worth it, no? Even if i'll start getting a passive income (a decent one) only in 5 years - it's worth my freedom, my hours, my dreams. That's how i see it... i might be wrong and sorry for this, but at this time, everything is still "fixable".

Thanks again guys!

I would like to make a statement, I think there is a way, it can be done in four months.

The variable really is what the budget is, also what the learning curve is.

I would like to compliment Jay's post, by adding, you do have to be the best.

Here are some important questions you have to answer to have a profitable business or website.

Do you know enough, do you have a following, and also, for an online business what product are you pushing and how is it monetized, and what can you do, to encourage that. Also, is the product ready?

Do you have a business plan? Also, how many people are you thinking about including? Will this be a one man (or woman) show? Or a team effort? I'm not asking for any particular reason, I'm just curious.

I would like to make a statement, I think there is a way, it can be done in four months.

Due to the nature of websitebabble.com I feel, this statement may rub a few people the wrong way. So allow me to explain;

Have you ever noticed the biggest websites on the internet? Godaddy, CNN, Facebook, FOX, Forbes.

The internet is different road of media, but the fundamentals for rapid growth are the same.

To grow quickly it takes an intelligent advertising budget.

You can't just go and sign up for adwords set up a daily budget, and expect return on your investment.

It takes research, there are more networks than google and they are not a monopoly.

Which is great, because (with enough research) you can essentially level the playing field (presuming a great product/content with reasomable consumer demand).

But, this road, has a higher risk, because it's so easy to waste a ton of money. But it is also very fast.

There is also a free way to grow a website.
    This includes, SEO, SOCIAL MEDIA, YOUTUBE VIDEOS, so on. Jetpack, IN MY OPINION:This way does take over a year.

Of course the risk is a lot lower, if little or no money is being invested in these options (presuming this is a small operation)

But with this way you will never get to a million people a day. It's practically impossible.

In my experiance, I use a combination of SEO and paid targeted traffic, (of course you want real people with real eyes (or money) visiting your website)

But in SUM I wish there was an legitimate online shool that explained on what an internet business is, but it's so hard to find a good one, with out first going through an army of scam sites. lol

Lisa, if you accept recomendations to make a new site, I would absolutely promote a school, focused on online companies and models. I mean, your practially a professor with all of your experiance.

Hey Mayabi,

The fact that your company hasn't given you a raise in three years makes me think your request for an increase will not go well. I am not sure what line of work you are in but it seems the growing trend is that companies are reluctant to hand out annual raises. The exception being a union or large corporation. Of course it never hurts to ask in my opinion.

Rather than just ask for a raise, you really need to build an argument for yourself. What have you brought to the company? For example, were you in a non-sales role and you found a new client through your own initiatives and networking, or, did you improve a process that saved everyone time, increasing efficiency and productivity. These kind of arguments can help.

Secondly, rather than going in guns blazing, you might want to ask what you can do to earn a raise. I know this sounds odd. But sit down with your boss one-on-one, state your financial goals and ask them for advice on what you can do to make it happen. They may be willing to delegate more responsibilities to you. Remember your boss can be your biggest advocate and this is especially important if they are only an influencer in your salary and not the actual decision maker.

Another way to get an increase is for you to ask your boss if they are willing to mentor you. Most will find this flattering and it could be the delegation of additional management tasks to you. Either way, another strong case for getting that pay raise.

You also mentioned about cutting your hours. If you do get this pay raise, asking for reduced hours some time later probably won't sit well with your boss. You don't want to burn any bridges. Especially if this doesn't work out. The other concern is that if you tell them you want to go part time, so you can follow your dream, then they are no longer the priority in your career path. And that could bring into question the quality of your work.

However, there may be a solution to all of this.

One thing you may have not considered is doing this all at once. Asking for more money and reduced hours at the same time. I am not sure how employee benefits work in Israel, but in the USA a part time employee gets very few benefits, if any, compared to a full time employee. If that is the case in your country, maybe you can ask to become a contractor. In the USA this is a 1099. In the USA the average cost of employee benefits is an additional 20% on top of what they make, that a company has to pay. With that cost now gone, as a contractor you can ask for more. In addition you can generally negotiate your own hours. So you can kill two birds with one stone this way.

In the USA, some companies don't like the hassle of dealing with the 1099 paperwork. So another option is to form your new company, become an employee of your company, and invoice your time back to your original company. Some companies find it easier to receive and pay an invoice versus doing a 1099.

Of course, this could all backfire. So use your best judgment. You know the company you work for best. I also don't know how benefits and employee rights work in Israel either. So do your homework!
    Last edited by STB; 02-16-2014 at 10:37 PM.

Wow, look at all this excellent advice given by everyone. Warms my heart. lol

Yes, as Lisa observes, some good things to think about. And as usual, you have to anticipate that things may go differently at different times.

I thought I might just add this comment, not to suggest how to handle your boss, but how you might make the work pay. The trick, even with a crowded field like this is to find a special niche. Here is one to consider, and one that could give you two advantages. First, to provide quicker income, and second to use in personal writing as a source of content by experience that would influence people to see you as competent even though you would not have extensive publications to show.

This is it: while you work on your online work, put it into practice by helping people locally build WordPress sites. There are good ways to get referrals. If you have or build contacts with local educators, they often have people come to them for help that they do not prefer to follow through on themselves. Also, computer related services like those who build networks, etc., may give you referrals. Attending groups like the Jaycees can help. And as you go you will get referrals from customers (give them a free hour of service for a referral that buys).
    Good Success!

"If your content doesn’t drive activity or conversations, don’t expect it to drive links." —Tom Schmitz, Search Engine Land

Thank you everyone - as Lisa said - it warms my (and her) heart! You have no idea how much i appreciate your time and efforts.

I'll try to answer everyone

@FarrisFahad - cool idea! I used to work night shifts in the past, and i remember being VERY tired, sometimes those shifts ruined my whole day. It could work out, but maybe if i'd have only 1-2 night shifts per week.

@zachariahlogan - the answer is yes to most of the questions you brought up. The only thing i don't have yet is a deep and detailed business plan, and i have about 3.5 months to work on that. And maybe it's the most important thing to do, so i'll have to really work on it soon.
    About the investment - you're right, the more i invest, the quicker i see results (if i invest my money right). As for the beginning, i want to go with youtube videos. I noticed that there is a gap here in Israel with those, and maybe i can dive in and get some good amount of views with tutorial videos (there are many in Hebrew - but most of them are not professional, too long, too complicated or just not what i plan to do). So, i'll see how that goes first.

@STB - I didn't get a raise because i was stupid enough to not ASK for it till now. As simple as that. I work in a college, and the ministry of education in Israel is not the richest government body, so if you don't ask for a raise, no one will give it to you. At least that's how it works in my work. My boss knows that i deserve it, i built a huge Buddypress website and saved them lots of money, and that's just one project out of many (it's the biggest though). Other than that - i finished my Masters degree which also means i can now ask for more money, and my boss knows it too - so, i'm pretty sure i will get a raise, i just don't know how much
    You're right about reducing the hours right after asking for a raise, i thought about it too, and i need to figure out what and how to ask for it. And yeah, maybe i should check my rights as a part time worker. I definitely have to think about those things too. Thanks for pointing this out!

@James - That's a great idea and I actually started doing this already (helping people locally build WordPress sites). I just started working on a big project as a freelancer, and i already got 2 more requests following this project - 1 for creating another wordpress project, and the other for tutoring. So yes, i'm counting on those things too, to become "known" as a wordpress expert locally and generate some income by tutoring and speaking in courses and workshops. Actually, what has driven me to begin this whole WP niche idea was the comments i got from people, things like "you should take your WP knowledge and spread it around"...

Thanks again everyone! I'm so glad i shared my plans with you.

And btw - can anyone please tell me how to add quotes from multiple answers in one reply? Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by mayabi View Post

And btw - can anyone please tell me how to add quotes from multiple answers in one reply? Lol...
    Right next to the Reply to Quote button there is a button that looks like a quote with a PLUS sign. Click that for every post you want to quote and when you hit Reply it will quote the ones you want. Then you can type your reply after the end quote for each reply.

Hi Maya

You should start your business because it gives you freedom and time,someone said to me a line which always motivates me to take decision is that "if you take your first step than may be you will reach to your destination but if you don't take your first step than you will definitely not reach to the destination so taking a first step is must"

It will be better if you don't put your all eggs in one basket, vary your source of income and vary your source of traffic, try both SEM and SEO but don't invest much money on the SEM at the starting just observe how much CPA you are getting from SEM and if ROI is good than you can invest more on the SEM, however the best part of your decision is that you are going to follow your passion which is always a key part in a successful blog or business.

Good Luck and be a successful Entrepreneur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast