Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't Make The Email Mistake I Made

Default Don't Make The Email Mistake I Made

Thank you STB for recommending an email marketing forum. I think the fact that there has never been a sub forum here for email marketing shows how much I neglected this strategy in my early days.

Anyone who says email marketing is a waste or doesn't work, isn't using it effectively. I sent out one email last week that earned me enough to pay for my list for the entire year and a whole lot more (and I pay AWeber quite a bit because I have a large list).

Email marketing is not about selling, selling, selling, selling (unless you have an ecommerce site). It should be an extension of your website that provides exclusive information so people feel there is added value to being on your list.

For example when I launch my membership site later this year, I will probably give a coupon code out to only the people on my list. This is an example of using your list for getting sales and offering exclusivity.

It took me some time to really figure out the best way to use my list (and I'm still learning) but I beg of you. Please don't ignore this strategy like I did for many years. Sure, a lot of emails go unopened today because of spam filters, people get too many emails, etc. but with the right strategy, it can be a great asset to your business.

I talk more about how I use email here...
    http://www.websitebabble.com/showthread.php?t=32733

The difference is that many people check their email every day, if not, several times a day. How often do they check social media? I bet email wins 99% of the time. I can't remember who said it (maybe it was you Lisa) but they described social media as talking in a crowded room versus email which is talking one on one. Email has the personal element that social media does not. I always picture social media as shouting across a crowded bar at someone.

Thanks so much STB! I never thought about asking to add a forum here for email marketing but it's an excellent idea. I'm looking forward to learning for you guys and sharing some of my experiments too.

Thanks Lisa!
    I'm glad you are still using AWeber because there are so many other options out there. But the bottom line for most people is not to waste too much time deciding on which email service provider to use - just get started!

Most of them have similar features to offer anyone who is just getting started. As your list begins to grow and you start seeing some results with it, that's when you can become more "picky" about the feature set of the different providers.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    I always picture social media as shouting across a crowded bar at someone.
    That is exactly how I see it too. It is rude to stand in the middle of a room talking loudly about yourself. You must instead wait for a convenient time to nudge or tap someone on the shoulder and ask if you can have a few minutes of their time. That's how email is to me.

I'd like to get more clients using email because at the moment they're pretty much sold on the instant results of Facebook and Twitter. Email is a slow process I think but a worthwhile one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ileane View Post
    But the bottom line for most people is not to waste too much time deciding on which email service provider to use - just get started!
    MailChimp is a great way to start (which I believe STB is considering). As long as those subscribers can eventually be imported from MC to something like AWeber I think MC is a great way to get started. Because MailChimp is free I would bear in mind the phrase "Do not build a house on rented land". As a paid service I think AWeber is better value. MailChimp is a bit pricey by comparison

I also noticed a lot of marketers (especially the "big dogs") are moving to InfusionSoft and leaving AWeber. I've always been very happy with AWeber (not to mention I got some awesome grandfather pricing so it would be hard to move now.) My bill would literally be hundreds of dollars per month more if I signed up today so I can't see moving.

So I'd love to hear about someone's experiences with InfusionSoft.

MailChimp is free but only for the first 2,000 subs right?

First 2000, and on top of that the first 12000 emails. So if you have 2000 subs, you cant send them more than 6 emails a month. You can buy additional credits for the free plan, but I would think a proper paid plan would make more send at that point, as all paid plans are unlimited emails.
    Last edited by STB; 02-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.

I am in the process of writing another email marketing strategy. Although I do try to avoid using the words email marketing and newsletters. They are old, dusty and no one wants to read them. It is the difference of inviting someone to a meeting or attending a referral event.

I manage nearly twenty businesses email campaigns. Of course, I am also a reseller for the product I use, so really studied what it can all do from styles, to campaigns to reports and strategies. If done properly it adds the right touch and lets you know how people are responding not just to the email it self, but they are doing with it once they open it.

I also read many of the items I get just to see if there is a tweak I can add to my strategy.

The question you should be asking is how do I leverage the power of this tool to get the results I want. That is, if you understand all what the tool does.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    First 2000, and on top of that the first 12000 emails. So if you have 2000 subs, you cant send them more than 6 emails a month. You can buy additional credits for the free plan, but I would think a proper paid plan would make more send at that point, as all paid plans are unlimited emails.
    Absolutely it's worth paying. I didn't realize that they limited how many emails you could send.

Constant Contact I believe bills based upon the number of emails in the account,not how many have been sent out
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

"Build your list" has been constantly hammered into me since I started learning about IM in 2011. Yet I haven't done it to the extent that I should have.

I do have two small lists on free email list services, but I can't grow them too much because there's a limit to the number of free subscribers.

I don't have a credit card yet so I can't pay. (paypal for some reason does not like the paid email list services) Plus, I also would need to get a PO Box. So the amount of setting up required has always turned me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Builder View Post
    Constant Contact I believe bills based upon the number of emails in the account,not how many have been sent out
    Right. We use that for our non-profit. It's a nice system. And they give non-profits a discount.

Constant Contact also does not have confirmed opt-ins. That's great for their customers but horrible for the visitor. lol A friend of mine started using Constant Contact for her list and I suddenly started getting emails and I was like "How did I get on this list???" Then she told me that CC doesn't require confirmed opt-ins.

Doesn't that break some kind of email law? lol

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Constant Contact also does not have confirmed opt-ins. That's great for their customers but horrible for the visitor. lol A friend of mine started using Constant Contact for her list and I suddenly started getting emails and I was like "How did I get on this list???" Then she told me that CC doesn't require confirmed opt-ins.

Doesn't that break some kind of email law? lol
    MailChimp does the same thing - you can add people but you must only do so with expressed permission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast