How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Facebook Fraud Response: Are Facebook Ads a Waste of Money?

Default Facebook Fraud Response: Are Facebook Ads a Waste of Money?

http://www.jonloomer.com/2014/02/11/...raud-response/

Bumped into this article online... I'm disappointed but not surprised to see more illicit "social proof" activity linked to FB advertising.

I hope everyone who ever decides to use FB ads subscribes to Jon's blog. I've learned so much from him. And actually this article really relates to online advertising in general.

1) Shortcuts don't work. Whether you are using FB ads or any kind of paid advertising, if you buy cheap or untargeted traffic just to get a bunch of likes, you are wasting your money.

2) Have a master strategy. A lot of people assume that it's all about number of likes but it's really about quality traffic and having an ultimate goal. If you just use FB ads to promote a post, how will you know how effective if is if you aren't measuring the bottom line? (Sales? ROI?) And Jon even suggests not using Boost Your Post.

I think the bigger problem with paid advertising goes beyond Facebook. Most people don't really understand marketing so they end up spending too much money chasing likes, visits, etc. It's like people who end up spending thousands of dollars on PPC and say it doesn't work because they don't know how to track anything.

Paid advertising can be wonderful, but it's not for newbies.... that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing Darren.

"Boost post" is a deliberately un-targeted ad template. So many people do not understand this and have never been told to use something like the Power Editor, or at the very least the FB ad manager.

And yes, I dislike it when people say "I tried that, it didn't work", like with a prospect I once spoke to who ran an ad in the local paper for 12 months and didn't get one enquiry. I asked, "how many times did you change the ad?" She said "Never".

Yep, people do not do their research before hand. I always have to stop myself from saying, "It's not that advertising doesn't work, it's that YOU don't work." LOL

The part about low engagement on FB posts was interesting. I certainly do not want to get Likes from anyone and everyone because of the obvious Edgerank effect of low engagement. If you're a local business fo instance, you can arrange to do a boost post (properly) and have past clients comment on it to draw in their own FB network. Did that last night with the help of a few very happy clients and the content has attracted lots of website design inquiries

I subscribed to the his newsletter too! Good call!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post

Yep, people do not do their research before hand. I always have to stop myself from saying, "It's not that advertising doesn't work, it's that YOU don't work." LOL

The part about low engagement on FB posts was interesting. I certainly do not want to get Likes from anyone and everyone because of the obvious Edgerank effect of low engagement. If you're a local business fo instance, you can arrange to do a boost post (properly) and have past clients comment on it to draw in their own FB network. Did that last night with the help of a few very happy clients and the content has attracted lots of website design inquiries

I subscribed to the his newsletter too! Good call!
    Love that quote. Can I borrow it? LOL

As far as low engagement, this is exactly why buying likes from low quality places like Fiverr is even worse. It's always been a bad idea as far as I'm concerned but even worse now since the less engagement your posts receive, the fewer people actually see them in the long run.

So imaging buying 5,000 likes from Fiverr and then posting something that humans won't even really see. It will only hurt your overall engagement even MORE so the real fans will never see the updates.

I made a promise to myself that I will never buy Social media advertising. Since then my Micro Niche facebook page has gotten 111 likes and all my posts are seen by at least 20 people initially.

I know a lot of people have better stats than I do, BUT it's definitely better than the cat Facebook page that had over 300 likes and, only 1 or 2 views and virtually no engagement.
    Last edited by Jay; 02-11-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Good video and article. I decided tonight was a good time to use my $50 free ad credit from GoDaddy for Facebook. So I created a $50 lifetime Ad campaign. I guess you can focus a campaign on likes, clicks or engagement. I decided to go with engagement as an experiment. I assume this will serve ads to people who are more likely to comment or share.

My audience was very targeted. Males ages 25-45 in the USA who like Computer Servers and Software and speak English. I think Facebook said my reach "Specific" in the red (far left) of the gauge. lol.

My campaign was a post promotion (not a page promotion). Which was to promote my review on a product I have affiliate marketing links with (affiliate links are in the Facebook post I was promoting). It was also a YouTube video - so maybe this will promote my YouTube Channel as well.

This is my first shot at this. I just wanted to use the free Facebook credit. Not sure if I will do this again. But can't turn down free credits.
    Last edited by STB; 02-11-2014 at 06:39 PM.