Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I "Stole" Someone's Niche????

Default I "Stole" Someone's Niche????

Last week someone sent me a message because they were afraid to tackle a niche. They felt there were already many sites on that topic and were worried they'd get in trouble for building content on the same topic.

Well as most of us know it's perfectly fine to tackle an existing niche/topic, plagiarizing content is where the problem lies. It may sound elementary to you but you'll be amazed at how many people don't understand the difference so I posted this to clear that up for the newbies. I get that question quite a bit believe it or not.

Anyway, that email reminded me of a nasty message I received last summer on my hair site and I got another message last week (probably from the same person because the tone was similar) about "stealing a niche."

A lady sent me a message and accused me of "stealing her rankings" for her natural hair site and "taking her niche and running with it." She said that since I teach people about creating their own niche sites that I should find my own topics instead of taking someone else's.

WOW!

Now mind you. I don't even remember seeing this person's site but I thought it was interesting that she said "I took her topic and ran with it." Well, ladies and gents... that's exactly what you should be trying to do when you build a site, right? Take what others (competitors) are doing and expand upon it and offer information that they aren't.

And no, I'm not talking about copying content because that is obviously wrong. But I'm talking about taking ideas and topics, adding your own personal experience and info to make it unique, helpful, etc.

I started to be sarcastic and ask her if she had any other niche sites so I'd be sure to stay away from those topics. I mean heaven forbid if I created another site in "her niche" that she ummm.... "owns" and I run with that one too. </end sarcasm>

Anyway, just had to share. I swear I could write a book about the crazy emails I receive. It definitely keeps things from getting dull... that's for sure!

Social Media Examiner came along and did that - dominated a niche I mean. I think Social Media Explorer was the original go-to source of info for social topics but Examiner came along and drew a massive audience. Michael Stelzner of SM Examiner hired a customer WP developer and spent a lot on the design so almost immediately the site looked like it was a well established site with a large body of content. I don't know how the other sites in this niche reacted though.

I can understand why some people do not like competition in a niche - maybe they're completely dependent on whatever income it provides and cannot allow someone else to upstage them. What concerns me is those who understand negative SEO and deliberately sink their competitors or use other dirty tricks to get their own back. The whole "this town's not big enough" routine jealous bloggers experience must be their own lack of passion or willingness to raise the bar..

I don't know how you manage to control yourself with these difficult people sending ridiculous emails like that. If they spent as much time dwelling on solutions instead of dwelling on what to put in their nasty emails they might be a lot better off!

Thanks for sharing though... Although it is clearly frustrating to receive emails like that it gives you great material and makes excellent reading. I'd like to hear more anecdotes like that, it's quite comical LOL

You should do a video on the emails you get. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath at some of the videos James Rolfe of AVGN did regarding some of the hilarious emails he got.

Darren, I think I've sort of become immune to most of it. If I let them get to me I'd go nuts. lol But it is fun to tell the stories sometimes because quite honestly some are so ridiculous that they become laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    You should do a video on the emails you get. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath at some of the videos James Rolfe of AVGN did regarding some of the hilarious emails he got.
    I actually did a video on this last summer....

Haha! I'm seriously cracking up at this! Oh puhlease! There is nothing new under the sun; ideas are recycled over and over, it's just boils down to who can tweak and present ideas in a new way that people are more receptive to. Haha, that was a good laugh!

Hello Lisa,
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. And I also like your advice ..."about taking ideas and topics, adding your own personal experience and info to make it unique, helpful, etc."

Success a definition... the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.... The gaining of fame or prosperity.

Greetings,
    You should not be upset or even shocked, as we live in a world of "sheep" (easily to follow or be manipulated {for good and/or bad..the point marketing and advertising capitalizes on to sell the "best" product or service}). The fact that you receive such emails and/or request is a testament to your marketing/sales skills...i.e. leadership ability. Marketers have for years been using crazy ideals/request and the like to start new ventures and some have made a ton of cash. These crazy emails are showing that people follow you and respect your ideals (or ideas) even if unrelated to what you do ( they perhaps see you as an expert of sorts in anything remotely linked to a topic ). ---per the video.

As for a "stolen niche" that person does not understand competition and how it can make a better product, service, or company providing such....Or they are just "hating" because they see success and maybe they did not work hard enough on "the" niche .

I read this thread and I thought I had left a message on it. Guess not!

I think it was highly inappropriate for this individual to contact you and accuse you in such a way. That's how the world works. You have to stay on top of your game or you're going to lose. Just like how you get fired for someone more qualified, or your business goes down for the cheaper and more high-quality shop down the street.

At the same time, people can't seem to grasp that when you're trying to make money online, you're going to get your success at the expense of someone else. When you reach the front page for the keyword that you want, you're going to have to knock down someone to the 2nd page, and you're going to have to accept that.

Sometimes you got to be a little selfish to get ahead, and that's OK.

SHAME ON YOU, LISA!

And I know this isn't the only time you've done it either.

• How dare you take over that start a website niche with 2createawebsite.com. I know there was someone ahead of you.

• And what about that WordPress niche. Don't tell me you were the first there.

• And I know for sure there was someone ahead of you talking about flat stomachs.

That's right, Lisa. We've got your number. Stealing other people's niches. Shame, shame.

And we all thought you were just a nice sweet girl from Texas.

LOL
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I know, James. You found me out. The truth has finally been revealed.

Jay and zwebb, you nailed it. I just found it startling that she took it so personally... like I was going after HER niche. But instead of getting upset, she should use that as motivation. There's always going to be competition in any niche worth going after and no one "owns" anything.

There's always going to be competition in any niche worth going after and no one "owns" anything.
    There is a huge amount of truth in those few words for anyone paying attention.

• If there is NO competition, unless you have truly stumbled onto something everyone in the world has missed before (what chance is there of that!) then you are looking at a useless idea.

• No one owns any market. You succeed when you find a novel or unique approach that appeals to one aspect of the market and there are always many of these so no one can appeal to all (off-line we do foster care for senior adults—some people look for a small home like environment (like ours) and some people look for special services like those in a big facility).

• If she sees a newcomer, as she must have perceived you, gain success she should have been excited to see that the market was open for her rather than seeing you as competition. Every fast food joint looks for locations where the others are succeeding, only rarely starting on a new site. Each succeeds by having unique offerings.

• Much more...
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

I enjoyed the video. I almost did the customers from hell niche once.

Just this week, I was called and asked why a person's website went down. I found that their name expired last month. I told them the good news was that for $70 they could still redeem it before someone grabs it. They did not think this was such good news and thought it was my fault since I did not send a reminder. Apparently the reminder went to the business email a former employee monitored.

A second call was another person whose name expired and is now owned by a company in PA willing to sell it back for $700. A third call was someone trying to get control of their domain name in Australia.

A fourth call was of frustration of spending two weeks trying to get support to help them point an IP address at my hosting, but won't have me come in to do it with them. (This was just this week)

The fifth call though was someone who wanted to move about 50 domain names into my reseller account and my Godaddy girl helped walk them through it. SO, not all are crazy, but sometimes you just cannot make this stuff up.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

My advice: A low saturated niche will have no chance of starting at all, unless you reveal yourself in other related niches. So, I recommend just starting one up in a moderate or highly saturated niche. Just saying.
    Korean Translation // CASUAL video testimonials...

ALL FOR ONLY FIVE DOLLARS!
    www.fiverr.com/professordave

Good advice Young.. I am new to this blog/website family, but couldn't agree more with tackling the moderate to high niches. I am looking at tapping into the weight loss.
    Thanks for the good laugh there Lisa...! Crazy world eh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast