How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hate Mail

Default Hate Mail

Do you guys get like hate messages often? Like I joined a British gaming group to promote my blog, and they keep giving me contradictory feedback.

One day they'd say I have such stupid tips for people and not enough citations to work with or something
    and one day they'd say something like I have a bad writing style and I summarized a research done.
    One day they'd say I'm dumbing it down for them.

Am I supposed to use academic words on them? Nobody in America will stay on that page if they see something like visuospatial or ethnocentrism or kleptomania. One thing's sure, I will NOT target British people, not that I'm trying to be racist or anything...

Any feedback?
    Korean Translation // CASUAL video testimonials...

ALL FOR ONLY FIVE DOLLARS!
    www.fiverr.com/professordave

Well for one thing you joined a gaming blog to promote your gaming addiction blog. They might be angry because of that, haha.

It's like promoting a smoking addiction blog on a cigar fanatics forum. You're trying to promote with a crowd that will never like you.

And honestly gamers are notorious for being one of the worst people to deal with. I've been playing online games since I was 10, and it's not uncommon for people to cuss each other out and send each other death threats just because they lost a gaming match.

You could try joining an existing gaming addiction forum, or a general addiction forum to promote your website. I think you'll get better (and more accurate) feedback.

Agree with Jay. I think your audience has a lot to do with it. I've noticed that gaming and tech sites/channels often get a lot of critical comments and I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Isn't it funny how people can be so bold behind their computers? I bet they would never say that to your face.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Agree with Jay. I think your audience has a lot to do with it. I've noticed that gaming and tech sites/channels often get a lot of critical comments and I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Isn't it funny how people can be so bold behind their computers? I bet they would never say that to your face.
    I agree. It's so crazy what some people say online. That's why I would never start a gaming website based around competition or PvP.

There have been a couple famous comedians that talk about how hateful YouTube comments can be. So it happens to the best of us. If you want to laugh about the situation just YouTube those comics some time. I won't link anything here though because the content could violate guidelines.

I can see what you mean, but unless I get on top of Google, I have no traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Well for one thing you joined a gaming blog to promote your gaming addiction blog. They might be angry because of that, haha.

It's like promoting a smoking addiction blog on a cigar fanatics forum. You're trying to promote with a crowd that will never like you.

And honestly gamers are notorious for being one of the worst people to deal with. I've been playing online games since I was 10, and it's not uncommon for people to cuss each other out and send each other death threats just because they lost a gaming match.

You could try joining an existing gaming addiction forum, or a general addiction forum to promote your website. I think you'll get better (and more accurate) feedback.
    Yeah thanks for the advice Jay,

all I can find are some Google+ groups on addiction, nothing focused on gaming addiction. It's a pretty empty niche... I might even be the first one to make a blog in that area, and I thought I had an advantage. But that promotion stuff + There's like a hundred articles from psychological communities on top of Google, so..

That might very well be the case. Gaming Addiction is a "new era" sort of niche, but I imagine it getting very popular in the future when those 2 year olds with iPads grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    There have been a couple famous comedians that talk about how hateful YouTube comments can be. So it happens to the best of us. If you want to laugh about the situation just YouTube those comics some time. I won't link anything here though because the content could violate guidelines.
    I always tell people, "If you want to develop thick skin, start a YouTube channel!" LOL

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    I have studied this phenomenon a bit. These are mostly 11-16 year olds, both boys and girls, who spend most of their time tucked away in their rooms for some reason(they could be drop outs, or kids who've been told to stay at home and not go out by their parents etc.) who vent their frustration in forums and chat rooms.

Also, 95%(if not more) of the members in game forums are in that age group. Like Lisa said, "that's the nature of the beast", and you just have to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by emvy548 View Post
    I have studied this phenomenon a bit. These are mostly 11-16 year olds, both boys and girls, who spend most of their time tucked away in their rooms for some reason(they could be drop outs, or kids who've been told to stay at home and not go out by their parents etc.) who vent their frustration in forums and chat rooms.
    They need to do some intense aerobic exercise to tire themselves out, get a positive endorphin rush and beat the devil outta themselves LOL

Quote Originally Posted by emvy548 View Post

Also, 95%(if not more) of the members in game forums are in that age group. Like Lisa said, "that's the nature of the beast", and you just have to live with it.
    I would agree with this but those people in that particular gaming group were above that age... Like 25~35 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I would agree with this but those people in that particular gaming group were above that age... Like 25~35 or something.
    Young, stay away from those people. If they are being rude and insulting it just sounds like a gang of bullies who have found each other and love to punish others in order to bond, because they lack self worth and communication skills. They are broken toys, sick puppies.

On forums you often what I would call the "territory markers" who love to undermine newer members of any given social group. The animal instinct of human beings has not changed in hundreds of thousands of years but interestingly the technology has adapted to pander to those instincts. The safety in numbers component of the human psyche will never go away and cyber bullying is a symptom of that. Social media fits the animal instinct like hand in glove and forums are no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    all I can find are some Google+ groups on addiction, nothing focused on gaming addiction. It's a pretty empty niche... I might even be the first one to make a blog in that area, and I thought I had an advantage. But that promotion stuff + There's like a hundred articles from psychological communities on top of Google, so..
    I don't think society is really taking gaming addiction seriously yet. Its certainly earned some recognition on WebMD and other medical sites. It even has made the news plenty of times. I keep thinking of new stories where parents have neglected their kids because of World of Warcraft. And they find the kids suffering from malnutrition and diaper rash.

I think there was just some massive battle on Eve Online(?) and people were taking days off work to participate. They predicted that the conversion rates of in game currency to dollars that the battle had cost $600,000 in real money.

I had friends playing WarTune, that had spent thousands of dollars on in game currency to be the best.

The next time they say you are dumbing them down, just tell them to exercise macrography on that situs they will eventually tenant if they should propel themselves into the troposphere.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast