Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Has This Ever Happened To You?

Default Has This Ever Happened To You?

I wrote a powerful article on massages. I didn't realize when I wrote the article, a newbie mistake I guess, that the keyword focused on a popular website. I anticipated a lot more traffic from the keyword but even though it does send a consistent amount of traffic, I expected more. I get a fraction of what Google's Keyword tool reports that the keyword gets. Could it really be that almost 50 percent of all search requests are only clicking on the actual website and not my article? I have maintained the first page for a while now but traffic doesn't seem to increase. Could Google's Keyword Tool be wrong about the search requests?
    Fashion People Plus Size Women

Stopping a Foreclosure
    You Are Capable, Competent, Creative, Careful. Prove IT!!!

Ever since Google started using more personalized results, that has definitely impacted the traffic potential for being on page one for certain keywords.

So a page 1, position #5 spot would send you more traffic in 2005 for example than it would today. You may be #5 on your computer but someone else who has done other searches prior to finding your site may see that same website in position #9 because of personalized results. So that's going to impact traffic potential.

If you're ranked lower than position #1 you're always going to get a much smaller fraction of the traffic than the keyword tool represents. Even the #1 spot is never going to get 100% of that traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Ever since Google started using more personalized results, that has definitely impacted the traffic potential for being on page one for certain keywords.

So a page 1, position #5 spot would send you more traffic in 2005 for example than it would today. You may be #5 on your computer but someone else who has done other searches prior to finding your site may see that same website in position #9 because of personalized results. So that's going to impact traffic potential.

If you're ranked lower than position #1 you're always going to get a much smaller fraction of the traffic than the keyword tool represents. Even the #1 spot is never going to get 100% of that traffic.
    Yea that does suck. I have asked people from other places to check keywords too and they usually can find the search requests in similar positions. I guess I mistakenly thought that the Google personalization was only if you were logged in. I guess on the downside of that though, is who is not logged into Google or YouTube?

But I have noticed that when I am not logged into Google, the search term seems to rank pretty much the same on Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Net Cash Me View Post
    But I have noticed that when I am not logged into Google, the search term seems to rank pretty much the same on Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer.
    Or so it seems... the keyword is massage anywhere. Maybe people in other locations get totally different results... lol

Stopping a Foreclosure

I think that's exactly what is happening. I will see a keyword that I'm getting a lot of traffic for and I never see myself ranked better than page 3 no matter what browser/computer I check. Or I'll see that I'm ranking very well and not getting hardly any traffic at all from that keyword. Location definitely matters.

That's not cool. It makes you wonder why Google even gives you a global option.
    Last edited by Net Cash Me; 02-08-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Stopping a Foreclosure

So how accurate is the "Average Rank" on keywords in Google Webmaster Tools? I always assumed that took into account personalized search results, seeing as it used the term Average and not just Rank.
    Last edited by STB; 02-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    So how accurate is the "Average Rank" on keywords in Google Webmaster Tools? I always assumed that took into account personalized search results, seeing as it used the term Average and not just Rank.
    Correct me if I am wrong BUT I think they are referring to across the board on that one. Regardless of personalization.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Correct. Average rank includes personalization so that's a better stat to look at.

So does an average rank of 1.0 mean you are the first link on the first page? 2.0 the second link, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    So does an average rank of 1.0 mean you are the first link on the first page? 2.0 the second link, etc.
    Yep! You got it.