Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Contact Form 7 paid alternatives

Default Contact Form 7 paid alternatives

I listen to this WordPress podcast on Your WebSite Engineer and a recent show was about Contact Form 7 alternatives and I'm looking for your thoughts on Gravity Forms.

What I don't like about Contact Form 7 is the fact that they do not allow spoofing, even with a top level domain email address. Spoofing is where someone goes to a website's contact form, enters their name and email address and hits send - the problem is, is that is not a secure way of knowing for sure if the message you receive in your inbox from this person is genuinely from that email address.

"Spoofing" is the term to describe this questionable way of receiving emails, and certain webhosts, together with Contact Form 7, have implemented measures to stop those emails being sent at all.

The workaround is to add something like contactform@yourwebsite.com, in the Contact Form 7 From field, so the recipient knows the email came from the website.

Problem: Building websites for small business clients and having to explain all this will confuse them. They will just want to hit the "reply" button when the email arrives.

Solution: I've decided that I need a premium unlimited contact form builder which has none of these issues. As I mentioned, I'm considering Gravity Forms, since Dustin (host of Your Website Engineer) talks about it in the podcast episode. Before I buy I wanted to run it past some of you reading this.

Do any of you Babblers have any ideas, tips, recommendations etc regarding premium, paid WordPress plugins?

Darren you bring up a great point most of us probably don't even consider on our email forms. Geez...definitely something to look into with all the craziness going on with email, spam, etc. I've only used Contact 7 since day one and haven't even considered anything else. Now you make me think.....

You always have so much great info to share here. Appreciate that.

I'm curious to know how you have your contact form set up Lisa. This may depend on your host but I think it's wise to consider that many people new to WordPress are going to have a lot to think about without having to think about whether they are receiving emails..

For what is costs, I think Gravity is probably a wise investment, especially if you go for the unlimited forms option. You can build as many WP sites as you want for clients (if that is something you do) and include the premium form. Also, Gravity is drag and drop, so it's an easier learning curve for newbies

What do you mean how I have it setup? I use Contact Form 7 along with CAPTCHA but I'm just using the defaults.

how is the CF7 "From" field set up? Is it set up to display the person's email who has emailed you, so that when reading their message in your email account, the reply-to section has their email in it? I have it set up so that the reply-to field is set as contactform@mywebsite.com...

If I hit reply it does not reply to their email address. I have to manually copy their email from the message body and reply that way. This may only be specific to dreamhost..

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself clearly... a screenshot might be a good idea to illustrate what I mean

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    You always have so much great info to share here. Appreciate that.
    Didn't see that the first time, lol, thanks, it's only possible because of your hard work and fantastic community. If wasn't for this forum I wouldn't have a clue about any of this. Hard to believe that last year I was genuinely fearful about having to learn to code. Not my thing at all. Forced myself to do it and now I like it!

I think I got ya now. Yeah I have it setup the default way which is their email is in the reply-to section.

Thanks! And glad you've found a home here! I've learned a lot from you as well.