Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Background music on Youtube videos?

Default Background music on Youtube videos?

Hey guys. I recently created a Youtube video for my site and I decided to try out background music.

I watched it but I'm not sure if the music is distracting.

What is your opinion about background music in videos?

You can see my video here. Is the music there distracting?

Thanks!

Hey Jay. I found it very distracting. Maybe you can fade the music down to a lower volume and see how that works. Just not make the intro the same volume as when you are talking.

One example would be how a radio presenter will drop the volume on a track when they are talking, but the audio is barely there. Jo Whiley used to be famous for this. And he style was copied A LOT.

Oddly, when you posted this it made me think of the movie Bullitt. I am not sure if you have ever seen Bullitt, but it has one of the most memorable car chase scenes of all times. It starred Steve McQueen in his Mustang. And what made it so infamous was the pure roar of the car engines. Originally they had planned on putting a music track on it! EEK! It would have ruined the scene.

The first two minutes they have music, then when the car chase really begins at the two minute mark they killed the music. This whole scene was originally supposed to have background music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lbs_nYW3-o

I'm sure there is a point here somewhere. But sometimes I think it is even more fun to keep it raw.
    Last edited by STB; 02-03-2014 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STB View Post
    Hey Jay. I found it very distracting. Maybe you can fade the music down to a lower volume and see how that works. Just not make the into the same volume as when you are talking.

One example would be how a radio presenter will drop the volume on a track when they are talking, but the audio is barely there. Jo Whiley used to be famous for this. And he style was copied A LOT.

Oddly, when you posted this it made me think of the movie Bullitt. I am not sure if you have ever seen Bullitt, but it has one of the most memorable car chase scenes of all times. It starred Steve McQueen in his Mustang. And what made it so infamous was the pure roar of the car engines. Originally they had planned on putting a music track on it! EEK! It would have ruined the scene.

The first two minutes they have music, then when the car chase really begins at the two minute mark they killed the music. This whole scene was originally supposed to have background music.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lbs_nYW3-o

I'm sure there is a point here somewhere. But sometimes I think it is even more fun to keep it raw.
    Thanks! I was thinking the same thing but I wasn't sure if it was just me being paranoid. Thanks for the input.

I was thinking of making the intro have music, and then cutting it off when I appear on screen. Would this be better?

Hey Jay. I watched it again and its not that bad. Maybe just drop the volume lower after the title screen fades out to you.

Radio presenters use side chains and compressors to drop the volume while talking. I honestly see no reason for music in screencasts apart from an intro or outro jingle

I am usually against it altogether, but I watched a screen recording video the other day and the guy had the music really, really low. And it was also very calming so it actually worked. I think most people who use background music have it up too loud and maybe that's why I don't typically like it. But if it is the right style of music and it's low enough then it can work.

It's actually pretty good.

I have been using music from Jewelbeat. It has been working well. Volume control is important along with softening for voice overs and fadeouts at the end in order to not have a hard cutoff.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.