How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Looking For Some Insight

Default Looking For Some Insight

I searched for a place to post this question so I hope I am in the correct place. I am a newbie and still in the early learning stages. I just read an post from a young man that was brimming with pride over reaching 500 plus unique visitors. I was so happy for him because I know just how he feels. He was proud (as he should be) but did not think that it was a big deal compared to his peers here in the forum. I had a like experience but was embarrassed to share because I felt the same way.
    I have a site that I have built through SBI and it builds a blog with every page that I build. My passion is Baseball and have built a site on the history of the baseball field. I love writing about the game and expectantly the circumstances surrounding why and how the parks were built. This month I will end up with close to 700 unique visits and close to 1800 pages read but I am getting no comments and now one is interacting with any of my pages. I am starting to question my choice site concepts. My site does not really help anyone solve a problem in their daily lives so I am wondering if that that might be my problem (you can say it, it won't make me cry).
    I only have 29 pages so far so does anyone feel that the problem is my lack of pages? How about the site concept idea?
    How do I add value to my site without trying to sell something? I dream is to develop enough traffic to start making money and envelop this information site into a business. Am I chasing the dream with the Wrong Horse?

Just try to be creative. If your site is about baseball fields, you can definitely have baseball-related ads. You can also write articles about the best baseball equipment if you wanted. Just think about your audience.

What type of people are arriving to my site?
    What is their overall "mood" when they arrive to my site?
    What would a baseball-lover be attracted to, and how can I implement that on my site?

Get into that viewer mindset.

For example

RANDOM BASEBALL VIEWER JOHNNY:

"Wow, baseball is so weird. Why is the field set up like that? Hmm... I think I'll Google it."

-stumbles across your site and reads your article-

"Wow, so that's why baseball fields are made like that! That's pretty cool. Okay, now I'm bored."

-sees an advertisement on the side-

"Hmm... oh, what is this? 400 Amazing Baseball Facts You Never Knew For Only 99 Cents? (see on Amazon here). That sounds like an awesome book!"

Cha-ching. You made an Amazon sale.

Jay,
    Thanks much for your timely advice and words of encouragement. I see where you are going and now have to figure out When and How best to implement.

I have also visited your website, it uncovered a tool that I have already used but did not think it really worked (Thanks for that also).

I don't think your site necessarily has to solve a problem, it just needs to connect. Or as like Jay said... be creative. Do you ever get inspiration from other related sites? Maybe take what their doing and improve or expand on it?

Jay, I loved, loved your example.

And see, just for being helpful you just got a new visitor... maybe even a long-term one. I wish forum spammers would take note. This is how you get real traffic from being active in a forum. Way to go!

I like what he said about "mood." A lot of sites don't draw in people in a buying mood. For example recently someone told me they wanted to build a site on quotes. OK.... so how do you go from quotes to sales? Now, maybe you could do a niche site on a certain kind of quotes like "funny baseball quotes" and then sell Zazzle shirts with the funny sayings. But to just do a generic site on quotes..... how does that convert people into buying? The mood they are in when they arrive is huge.

People are coming to your site to check up on history and quick facts, so they aren't in a buying mood. That's OK..... so how can you get them to return? Maybe dig up some amazing facts and drip feed them out weekly over an autoresponder (be sure to cite appropriately of course). On occasion you can monetize the tips. Any affiliate programs in your niche that offer historic baseball items?

I do think some kinds of sites are harder to monetize but that doesn't mean it's impossible. I say keep trying and get creative. You may be surprised.

Thank you both and I will work harder on a more creative approach.

You can ask your self, if I visited my website what would I do, and would I like it?
    Because simply put, if you like baseball there are people out there that do. The content and the idea is good as long as it is something that you want to see online. And believe me when I say, there are a lot of people just like you, so if you think that you are writing something that you will be searching for, there are other people who do the same thing. So try and reach your people, your audience
    Be the change you want to see in the world

Thanks you so much. That is very encouraging at a time when I was questioning my direction. The feedback from everyone is great and I really appreciate. I have been doing a lot of reviewing and trying to get my arms around how I am presenting my information. I do not want to come off like an encyclopedia but am struggling with how to put some flair into my content.
    Thanks again for taking the time to provide me with your feedback.