Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: 18 Hours in a Car?

Default 18 Hours in a Car?

These stories about the weather have been crazy. A friend of mine told me her friend ended up spending 18 hours in her car because of the ice storm in Atlanta!! I can't even imagine. Normally a 40 minute commute ended up being 18 hours!!

Hope everyone is safe and out of this crazy winter vortex we're having. Yikes!

LOL.... You guys have no idea what winter is really like

In most other states drivers panic when there's the slightest bit of snow. In NY when we hit bad roads, we say to our passengers "hold my coffee and watch this"...

Scott, K2ZS
    My Amateur Radio Page about antenna restrictions and indoor amateur radio antennas
    TGCDesign Web Solutions - specializing in CodeIgniter and ExpressionEngine development
    Home automation ideas for todays smart home

Quote Originally Posted by k2zs View Post
    LOL.... You guys have no idea what winter is really like

In most other states drivers panic when there's the slightest bit of snow. In NY when we hit bad roads, we say to our passengers "hold my coffee and watch this"...

LOL!!

Hey I'm from Missouri remember so I have more of an idea than most people from here in Texas but you're right.... can't compete with you NYers! lol

Its been bitterly cold in Ohio these past few weeks. The wind-chill made it feel like -7 F today.

The weather gets worse every year in the UK.. our geography is what makes us slightly pessimistic compared to someone from somewhere hot, or more to the point, "stable". Californian's surely have the best of it, knowing what to expect each day.

You never know what is going to happen here in Britain (well, England for me) and it is that sense of disappointment/weariness that defines most Brits. We don't mind it being cold if it is cold when it supposed to be cold. It's nice for it to be warm when nice weather ought to occur. When the conditions become so erratic it gets tedious. I'm reading a book right now called "The English" and in it the author waxes on the weather and the role it plays in Brit history.

Right now it's pretty cold, but then again NY has its famous bad winters too, so I shouldn't really complain. the funny thing is that however bad the weather gets in Britain, people still seemed surprised, as though thousands of years of the stuff hasn't become the norm! LOL

I can't imagine living somewhere like Finland or Norway. Can you seriously imagine putting up with that much snow and ice? Geez..

No I can't imagine Darren. I think I'd be seriously depressed with that much cold weather. I guess you could say I'm cold-blooded. he he heh

Then again I'm sure people who live there get used to it. People could probably say the same thing about our 100+ degree weather for 4 months straight.

LOL Darren. English weather doesn't even compare.

In Ohio, we are -7 Fahrenheit right now. Which is -21 Celsius.

England doesn't get much below 30 Fahrenheit at winter.

On the same merit, Ohio has 30 continuous days of <100 F weather last summer (I bet Lisa can easily beat that stat).

And a heat wave in England is 80 Fahrenheit.

I am a Former Limey
    Last edited by STB; 01-29-2014 at 06:19 PM.

We had our second polar vortex with -19F and -40 wind chills. They even canceled school this time. It is above 0F again and we should be enjoying the teens by the weekend. Another4" of snow will come tomorrow, but at least we do not get the lake effect snow.

WI< MN and MO are having LP (liquid propane) shortages and prices have gone from $1.60 per gallon to $6 per gallon and you are limited to a 100-200 gallon fill up right now since a state of emergency has been issued. Luckily I have a duo fuel system and burn less than 500 gallons a year, so will make it to summer again.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

I was from all over England. We moved a lot.

I lived in Cheshire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Sussex and Kent at one time or another. Really butchered my accent. But I consider myself a northerner as that is where I was born and raised most of my life.
    Last edited by STB; 01-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.

Bill the Builder in Wisconsin

LP (liquid propane) shortages and prices have gone from $1.60 per gallon to $6 per gallon
    That's right, so last month (here in Minnesota) my propane shot up to over $1500.00 and the price has doubled since. I hope they fix that quickly. It is supposed to be due to transportation problems.

Back to the ice storm. The real problem is that the people have no experience driving on ice. They seem to think it is the absence of sand or whatever, but we don't always have that either at first but we know to slow down and how to steer when you do slide a bit.

We still get some accidents but not so many as to clog the roads. We also try to keep our tanks above half full for unfortunate circumstances (even if you slide in the ditch you need to be able to heat your car if it is really cold). A lot of the clogged roads were due to people running out of gas.
    Last edited by James; 01-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou