Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: So what exactly is AdSense Direct?

Default So what exactly is AdSense Direct?

I just noticed this when logging into my AdSense today. Its called AdSense direct.

I guess it lets you sell Ad Space directly using the Google framework. Looks like Google takes a 15% commission though.

But you get Google's reporting and analytics. Then the ad automatically reverts back to AdSense when the campaign is over. So you don't have to worry about swapping code out on your blog.
    Last edited by STB; 01-28-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Me too. It seems like a new thing. Maybe it's a way for Advertisers to advertise directly on our website? Though, I thought that they could already do that.

Yep saw it too. Think about how convenient this can be. Some people want to sell ads but aren't sure what plugin/service to use and now they can manage everything in one place.

Here's one thing I didn't like though. It doesn't work with responsive units and that's what I use mostly now because of my responsive themes.

Here's the other thing to test/consider. Would you earn more by just adding a completely separate non-AdSense sponsor unit instead of pausing your AdSense earnings for this direct ad? Of course, you'd have to setup the ad service yourself but you could still make more by not interrupting your AdSense earnings and running the sponsor ad somewhere else on the site. Then you keep the total commissions and not give away 15% to Google.

So much to consider here....

Lots of help on it here.
    https://support.google.com/adsense/a..._topic=3063573

Looks like the advertisers pay through Google Wallet and then you receive the earnings through your regular AdSense payment.

They also say the contract to advertise is between your advertiser and Google. That might help with some legalities. Might even help with potential liability issues. This might help people that don't know how to draw up/maintain/manage contracts.

The 15% is purely a "convenience fee". Maybe just think of it like buying tickets to that music venue through Ticketmaster.

Or, just mark up your ads 15% and show all the benefits of both of you using Google as a trusted platform.

You may even draw in more potential advertisers when they see Google is the framework behind it.

Lisa, I sense a topic for your next video....
    Last edited by STB; 01-28-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Yep! I just hate that it doesn't work on responsive units -- which I get 'cause that would mean people would have to have multiple size ads created for their campaign.

heh.... I kept editting that post. Should have started a new one.

LOL, no you did right. We were all just posting at the same time.

Just uploaded a video today about how it all works. I probably won't be using it for a couple of reasons (why share the 15%? and I have responsive units) but maybe others will find it useful...

Nice video!

I am very interested in this for my blog. Where can I find potential advertisers? There was a guy who wanted me to place his ad on my blog and I turned him down because I wasn't comfortable signing his contract. After all, I never met him in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Franklin View Post
    I am very interested in this for my blog. Where can I find potential advertisers? There was a guy who wanted me to place his ad on my blog and I turned him down because I wasn't comfortable signing his contract. After all, I never met him in person.
    Well the good news is he is bound by Google's terms that they've already setup and his ad won't run until he pays/agrees to the terms.

You could place an "Advertise Here" link somewhere on your site and people can contact you about the price.

Or you could go through the steps I mentioned in the video and when the person clicks the link that is generated, they are prompted to setup their ad and then you approve/deny.