Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depending On The Big Dogs

Default Depending On The Big Dogs

It's crazy. I just got a message last night from Zimbio.com warning me that any content I have on their website is about to be deleted. Myspace.com revamped and already deleted all of my blogs and pictures. Funny thing about using other blogging services is that the juice they supply you can disappear with hesitation. Not sure how all of this will affect us in the long run but recently I haven't noticed any significant jumps in website traffic and this could be a good reason.

People, and I say this about all website administrators. No one is exempt. If you are one person administrating a website with no backing whatsoever, be prepared for less success. I have learned that nowadays you need a team. Not just "friends" on other social networks, but a team of people with the same aspirations as yourself who plan and put into action. It's the only way. That knowledge is why I created a club of bloggers, just for bloggers and not fans, to create our own network in which we can apply our own plans of action that can significantly and dramatically help assist anyone who is apart of this team. Not sure if it will work because for some reason exists the idea that everyone can create their own Facebook by themselves. Bad idea.

I'm curious though. I'd like to know what bloggers and website administrators are doing these days. Do most of you guys have your own team of at least more than 10 people (not fans or users but a team)? Or do you feel it's not necessary for what you are trying to achieve?
    Fashion Online Plus Size Women

Stopping a Foreclosure
    You Are Capable, Competent, Creative, Careful. Prove IT!!!

I am curious. Did they specify a reason as to why your content was going to be removed?

I think it totally depends on your goal. If you are trying to grow into a big, reputable site then yes it can be helpful (especially today) but I've also seen teams go horribly wrong if people aren't on the same page.

Also, not everyone wants to be huge. Some people just want to earn part-time income. So it definitely depends on what you're trying to achieve with your site. Having said that, a team can be helpful as long as everyone is productive and doing their part.

Hmm... I'm not too sure what you mean in this post. Why would you need a team to make a Facebook page? I know there are many others who work by themselves and are successful online.

I'm currently working by myself on my sites. I do have friends and people who help me out on occasion, but nothing formal.

The reasoning I have for this is because I like doing things by myself, and I like being in control of all my work. I also don't want to have to split any revenues with people. I also like working alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTekBoy View Post
    I am curious. Did they specify a reason as to why your content was going to be removed?
    Yes. They are removing all guest blogging from the site. It's not directed at me personally, but to all users of their site.

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Hmm... I'm not too sure what you mean in this post. Why would you need a team to make a Facebook page? I know there are many others who work by themselves and are successful online.

I'm currently working by myself on my sites. I do have friends and people who help me out on occasion, but nothing formal.

The reasoning I have for this is because I like doing things by myself, and I like being in control of all my work. I also don't want to have to split any revenues with people. I also like working alone.
    Sorry buddy. I think you misunderstood or perhaps I wasn't clear enough for you. What I'm saying is that I am not going to be spending a lot of time on other websites just because they are big. Rather than spending time building up Facebook, I would rather we build up our own websites. So I'm looking for people who want to work with me, not for me. Only serious bloggers and website administrators. Never did anything like this online, so maybe most people aren't interested networking to reach success. It's funny because the internet is all about networking. So I want to see if I can get a few serious bloggers together and we run our own network and then see what type of results we get. I think with the right minds, positive things can happen.

But it all depends on your goals. If you want a website that is capable of getting a few hundred or thousand people a day then it's quite possible to do it yourself. But if you want to grow into an actual successful business, you are probably going to need a team... or a corporation. One or the other... lol

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    I think it totally depends on your goal. If you are trying to grow into a big, reputable site then yes it can be helpful (especially today) but I've also seen teams go horribly wrong if people aren't on the same page.

Also, not everyone wants to be huge. Some people just want to earn part-time income. So it definitely depends on what you're trying to achieve with your site. Having said that, a team can be helpful as long as everyone is productive and doing their part.
    Yes, teams can go horribly wrong. You have to deal with jealousy, selfishness, people who only want to promote their own projects and could care less about team effort... I have come across those types of people but I have also come across loyal people who actually care about chipping in and being part of a team. And getting results. I'm hoping to contact some of these people, God-willingly, and see what we can make happen. Not trying to replace Facebook or Google at the moment, but I just feel that if people work together and cooperate together, then a whole new avenue of success opens up for them. So I want to kind of test the waters and see if there are webmasters these days open to such a bold idea.

Stopping a Foreclosure

It sounds like something that would be successful if you pull it off correctly. When I think of bloggers working together, I think of them building up a website together, but it won't work unless there is some sort of benefit for everyone.

Would this be like a forum-type thing where bloggers come around and share tips and tricks? Is it a social media-type site where bloggers can like each other's blog posts?

Just some thoughts.

I agree. With the right people it can. But there's some things to consider here...

Copyblogger is a great example of how a team developed into a successful corporation. It started with Brian Clark blogging about copywriting tips and then he began featuring other established and credible writers on his site. These people became well known as guests over time. Later they joined together and created their own products.

Here's the key to their success. Everyone on that team had a proven track record prior to the launch. So their names alone got people interested. So not only did they have their existing fan base to help grow the brand, but their existing online credibility helped even more. If you put together people who are already successful in their own rights, combine their skills and knowledge and you can create one amazing brand.

Am I suggesting everyone in the partnership has to be well known? Absolutely not. That was just the first example that came to mind. But the point is everyone brought quality to the table and they were all on the same page. So it was more than just an idea. It was a group of people that knew each other's work ethic, same goals and relevant skills that married up perfectly. So I would imagine it was very easy for that partnership to develop.

The reason a lot of teams or partnerships fail is everyone has the desire to be big and successful but the execution is poor or the people were too focused on the end goal (money) instead of the journey. Partnerships are no joke and should be taken seriously. I'm talking about contracts, interviews, etc. You really need to know WHO you're working with and they can't just be in it to get rich.

NetCash, I think the internet is STILL about networking but people also want to make sure they can trust the people they partner with. The key is you also have to find someone who shares the same time commitment, goal, vision and work ethic. THAT's the hard part, I think.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong places. How do you approach people with your idea? Do you have a business plan drawn up with how you plan to execute this?

I think it's harder to form partnerships cold turkey and with people you don't really know.

Here's the other mistake. A lot of people approach people who are already successful and want them to form a partnership. Nothing wrong with that but you have to specifically present how you can bring value to that person's business or it won't make sense for them to partner if they are already successful in their own right. I'm not saying that's what you are doing 'cause I have no idea what you've tried. But I've spoken with other bloggers about this and we talk about how this is always a big mistake people make. It's too big of a risk for the other person -- especially if they don't know the partner in question.

You sound as if you're surprised it's hard to find bloggers to work with. I think it depends on the relationship you have with the people you are trying to connect with. The internet is about networking but it's also about relationships and trust. That takes time to develop and needs to be considered with partnerships.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    It sounds like something that would be successful if you pull it off correctly. When I think of bloggers working together, I think of them building up a website together, but it won't work unless there is some sort of benefit for everyone.

Would this be like a forum-type thing where bloggers come around and share tips and tricks? Is it a social media-type site where bloggers can like each other's blog posts?

Just some thoughts.
    No. Actually, I have launched a club where bloggers come together to discuss ideas, form plans of action, network, update each other, help each other out, on more of a personal level, not just a system, but an actual club organization like the boy scouts. A club where people come together and help build each other up. Most bloggers can't start their own corporation by themselves. Most bloggers are not millionaires, yet anyway. It's actually done all the time by the elite. I'm not looking for the elite.. just people motivated enough to get ahead, work with each other and build up their businesses with team effort. Like the Jedi's of blogging... lol

Stopping a Foreclosure

Quote Originally Posted by Net Cash Me View Post
    No. Actually, I have launched a club where bloggers come together to discuss ideas, form plans of action, network, update each other, help each other out, on more of a personal level, not just a system, but an actual club organization like the boy scouts. A club where people come together and help build each other up. Most bloggers can't start their own corporation by themselves. Most bloggers are not millionaires, yet anyway. It's actually done all the time by the elite. I'm not looking for the elite.. just people motivated enough to get ahead, work with each other and build up their businesses with team effort. Like the Jedi's of blogging... lol
    Gotcha!!

Gotcha!!
    I agree with everything that you stated, Lisa. I would never ask someone I don't know to go into business with me. That would be crazy to me. I haven't had any problems getting people to join. I just want to offer a free service that might help some people get ahead and get a little bit more popular online. Heck! That's why I built my website and I must say, when I hear about people posting gigs or events that others are interested in, it makes me feel good about why I built my site in the first place. I would never try to use someone else success to boost my own. Not my character.

Definitely not aiming my club to recruit successful people online, though they are welcome and if they want to be mentors I don't object to that. It's more for people that are looking for other options and ways to promote themselves. Regardless of any success they have witnessed. It's not so much a business system as it is a friendship system. I just really think it's something that could be useful and used to help others get ahead. Maybe if they were part of a team, they could achieve more.

I haven't written up a business plan for the club because it's not to make money. It's just to help people. And I won't ever charge anyone to be apart of it. I think it's great to make money online and don't knock it at all, but frankly, I am just doing this because I like helping people and seeing others get ahead. Seriously. And I like making new friends. I think sometimes that friends are more valuable than business partners or associates. So I am envisioning more like a family where people can come together and discuss ideas, plans and give each other a boost.

So I envision my club as a place where friends network, promote and share ideas with each other. Do you think this is a bad idea for a website to have? Do you think that unknowledgeable people will be able to benefit from such a system? Do you think it would only be valuable to newbies or perhaps people that are a little bit more seasoned could also benefit? I know one thing, as the administrator of the club and website, I would fight to not see any loyal members fail. I love seeing other people become successful. And it's motivational too.

Stopping a Foreclosure

OK it's helpful to know more about what you were doing with your club or how you were approaching it. I wasn't really sure. And I wasn't implying "YOU" were doing those things. I was just rambling and using examples of what not to do. I still think Copyblogger is a great example of how to build up something big if you want to follow that lead.

But if you want it to gain some steam, it would be have members of all levels in the club. That way some of the more seasoned people can help those getting started. I think having a mix would be good. And it sounds like you have the right attitude about loving to help people. I too enjoy that as well so that is going to take you far!!

I too enjoy that as well so that is going to take you far!!
    Thanks so much and I understand and appreciate all of your advice and tips. I get good solid advice when I visit this forum. It's a great place to come to, especially for advice about seo. I Think the problem with including others in any type of project or club online is that you run in to all types of people from all walks of life online. Some are only interested in what they can learn from you and not what they can do to help themselves. Others see you as the competition just because you exist. And most like the idea of success, just not putting forth any type of effort. I tell people all the time, it could take years before you get what you want, and there is no guarantee after that either. Especially if you are doing it by yourself.

So at best, for those interested in another way and a little bit of guidance, if they need it, it's just another stepping stone. I won't promote the club that much because it won't really be beneficial for me financially anyway. i wont' make a dime from it. But if I can help someone, and maybe make a new friend, then it's a success

Stopping a Foreclosure

I think it's harder to form partnerships cold turkey and with people you don't really know.
    You are right, Lisa. Although it is sometimes almost as dangerous to form them with people you DO know, especially if you are related in some fashion. LOL

Perhaps its just my "old" age, but I would rather make a few less bucks and work alone. Or, just hire someone instead of forming a partnership.
    Good Success!

Douglas County Master Gardeners
    "People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
    Maya Angelou

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast