How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Need Help With LifeStyle Pro

Smile Need Help With LifeStyle Pro

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have been reading Lisa Irby's blog and I purchased Genesis and the Lifestyle Pro child theme.

I love it - and it is working well on all of my blogs except for one.

This is my most important site and I am stressed because I can't get it to work properly.

When I install Genesis - everything works fine. As soon as I install the LifeStyle Pro child theme...my posts disappear from the home page.

Can anyone help me with this? I want the site to look like a blog with my most recent posts showing at the top.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by James; 01-23-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Remove references to domain. Sorry by this is not permitted.

Welcome to the Babble!

For a better experience here, check out our Guidelines and Forum Help in the top horizontal menu and at least listen to the video (better to read as well). You will find some interesting tips and information that you will want to know, such as signature requirements, etc.

You might try this. With Genesis you will find when you go to your dashboard a "Genesis" button in the left column. Click on that and then go to the bottom of the themes page. You will find a "Reset Settings" button there. I would try starting there. It is possible that you have inadvertently chosen to use a page instead of your blogs for the first page (you could check that first if you want) or some other setting that is messing you up. I have often found myself searching for hours trying to find some simple issue as it turns out. One of the frustrating aspects of this work.

Glad to have you join the forum, a great place to learn and share.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Hi Ava,

Also check your widgets. A lot of times when you install a new child theme, new widgets get added that can throw off everything. I had this issue once. My homepage had all this strange stuff and I had to go to Appearance >> Widgets to make sure everything was cleared out then my homepage went back to normal.

To get your logo up to you can go to Appearance >> Header and add a new logo.

Yes you can use Genesis as a standalone theme.

Thanks Lisa. I did clear my widgets and it still won't work.

At this point I would be happy to simply use Genesis as a stand alone theme.

I went to Appearance and there is no header option on Genesis.

Does anyone know how to upload a logo to a Genesis theme?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    Thanks Lisa. I did clear my widgets and it still won't work.

At this point I would be happy to simply use Genesis as a stand alone theme.

I went to Appearance and there is no header option on Genesis.

Does anyone know how to upload a logo to a Genesis theme?

Thanks in advance!
    Then you'd have to tweak the header.php code. I guess it's not an option because they expect you to use a Child Theme. The benefit of using a child theme over Genesis is a lot of times StudioPress updates the Genesis Framework. And if you are using that as your main theme, your customizations may be overwritten. So that's why it's recommended you use a child theme. Although I'm not getting why Lifestyle is displaying like that.

Have you contacted support? They are awesome.

No I haven't contacted support - do I contact StudioPress or someone else?

Again, thanks for all your help.

Another step I would certainly take would be to uninstall and delete the child theme, then download a fresh copy and install it. There is always a possibility of a corrupted file. Since you have it working on other sites and Genesis itself is working, I think this should work well. This is a popular theme so you know it works.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

That was a good idea - I tried it - but sadly, it didn't work.

I am going to try support at StudioPress...I can't figure this out

Thanks anyways James.

First, I wanted to thank James and Lisa for helping me. I fixed it with the help of support at StudioPress.

This is what they said:

"Thanks for asking! I'm happy to help.

For the posts to show on the homepage as a regular blog, you'll need to remove all widgets from the home widget areas. If a widget is added in any of those sections, it will remove the post loop.

Right now, there appears to be a widget in the home bottom widget area."

I took out the widget and it works now

Thanks SO much and I will be back on the forum soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ava View Post
    First, I wanted to thank James and Lisa for helping me. I fixed it with the help of support at StudioPress.

This is what they said:

"Thanks for asking! I'm happy to help.

For the posts to show on the homepage as a regular blog, you'll need to remove all widgets from the home widget areas. If a widget is added in any of those sections, it will remove the post loop.

Right now, there appears to be a widget in the home bottom widget area."

I took out the widget and it works now

Thanks SO much and I will be back on the forum soon.
    Yay!

Double Yay

Just one quick question. You mentioned you cleared your widgets earlier so what happened? Did you forget to clear them from the homepage section?

I had my "join newsletter" widget in the homepage section - when it should have been in the bottom footer instead.

I didn't clear it because I thought it was in the correct place.