Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Backup and Salvation

Default Backup and Salvation

If you are just starting out using WP, I will restate the obvious. Back your site(s) up.

The Story

I have had some health issues and my site had not seen any work since late September '13.

Lots of plugins and WordPress and my theme needed updating, Went about this changing one item at a time and checking that the site still worked - a good idea, I think. All seemed well but when I went back on time I was confronted with a white screen both on the site and the WP admin pages. (I have a suspicion of what caused this but that is not the topic.)

I went to the my BlueHost C-panel and to Pro Backup and restored my entire site. I used a copy that was on BlueHost, but had copies on my computer and my backup drive for that.

My site is small. Hpwever, it also represents hundreds of hours of my time both writing and learning. Without doubt I would have been sick to have lost the work. Going an auto restore routine to restore also saved me time with futzing around with in my files.
    WeighyChoice: Sustainable Weight Loss

AndroidEveryday: Android Tablet Accessories and Apps

Very great reminder!! Glad you got everything back.

I have around 40 Wordpress sites. 2-3 times a year the easiest way to back them up is to right into your hosting account and just go right down the list and back them all up.

I am not anti plug-in, but feel less is more. Even if you only have one, this may be an easy solution.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Builder View Post
    I have around 40 Wordpress sites. 2-3 times a year the easiest way to back them up is to right into your hosting account and just go right down the list and back them all up.

I am not anti plug-in, but feel less is more. Even if you only have one, this may be an easy solution.
    Plus plugins can fail and there's no greater comfort than knowing it was done correctly. That's why I sometimes like doing this manually myself.

I use UpdraftPlus for WordPress. You can back up either manually or via a schedule. I have mine set to weekly. And I send it over to a Cloud Storage Provider. It emails me a log to let me know it backed up and then I periodically log into my Cloud Storage Provider and make sure I can access all the backed up files. You can also set an encryption key so it encrypts your content.

Good to hear an advice from someone who actually had a backup. Usually it is just the opposite. SuperTekBoy seems to have the best plan, something we all would like to do, but postpone!
    Hosting Coupons: Imotion Hosting Coupon and MediaTemple Coupon
    Wordpress Themes: get 20% off on awesome classified, coupon themes from AppThemes with our Appthemes Coupons