Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying Again

Default Trying Again

Okay, so several years ago I bought SBI and even when I felt overwhelmed I went ahead and created pages. Not really understanding what I was doing, of course my site was not successful.

Let's call that a learning experience.

And I did learn important things. Mostly not to forge ahead when you don't understand what you are doing and most important, why you are doing it. I just knew what I wanted to say and that is how I created my content.

Lisa's article "Brainstorming Advice that Most People Never Read" pretty much fit me to a T. I was definitely an Abe the Musician.

This time I'm working on creating a blog with wordpress. I have my domain name after taking quite some time to settle on one and I know who I'm hosting with.

So now what? What is the very next step? Do I
    have content/articles ready once I get my site up and running?

I know I have to do some keyword research and I did download Market Samarai but then read that its not used as much anymore. Long Tail Pro is better. Please steer me in the right direction.
    Weight Loss that Works!

Simple solutions for Natural Weight Loss.

The keyword research phase is useful for knowing if your website's niche is worth diving into. Pat Flynn recommends that you NEVER go into a certain niche if you're not getting at least 3000 local searches for your main long-tail keyword. Do you know what your niche is about? When you go to Google Adwords, are there enough searches to make this site worthwhile?

Once that's done, you can honestly settle down on doing intense keyword research. So long as you write for your audience and you KNOW that the content that you are writing is helpful for them, you should have good long-term success. For example, if your site is about losing weight for the elderly, just focus your content around helping that specific audience. Maybe what exercise equipment elderly people could use, what foods they should eat, maybe create a community of elderly people who want to lose weight, etc.

Don't worry about looking for specific keywords that match your article. Based on my experience, you'll start getting a ton of searches from random long-tail keywords that have zero presence on any keyword tool.

You should also determine if you want a static site or a blog before you go any further. The format you choose can make a big difference in your performance.
    Last edited by Jay; 01-22-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks, Jay. This is the kind of information I need to learn and understand right now. I know I have to find the keywords that will attract people interested in my niche. So I go to google adwords and see if different phrases for my niche get at least 3000 local searches? I thought the google keyword tool no longer existed.. or got upgraded to a pay site or something. Anyway, Lisa talks about Long Tail Pro. Does this do the same thing?

So you mean as long as the main topic, your example Losing Weight for the Elderly, gets over 3000 local hits I don't need to worry so much about specific KW's placed inside my articles. Sorry, I was SBI trained so this goes against what I learned, even though I know so much as changed in SEO since I first went with SBI.

I thought I was going to do another static website, but I think I've changed my mind after reading a lot of Lisa's related advice. I'll put some static info on the site, like on Lisa's hair site, but I will blog a few times a week keeping things all fresh. My niche is a subject that lends itself more to blogging I think.
    Weight Loss that Works!

I am curious about Google Adwords Jay. How do you sign up without putting in Credit Card information?

First, I would just use the free Google tool for keyword planning and not get so hung up on SEO stuff (read up on Lisa's current take on keywords-check out her videos on YouTube). No use to waste a lot of money there.

Second, yes use WordPress. If you can afford it get Genesis framework and be careful to choose a responsive theme for it like Prose (which is very flexible) You want to be responsive because as much as half of all readers now read on smaller devices.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Janna View Post
    Thanks, Jay. This is the kind of information I need to learn and understand right now. I know I have to find the keywords that will attract people interested in my niche. So I go to google adwords and see if different phrases for my niche get at least 3000 local searches? I thought the google keyword tool no longer existed.. or got upgraded to a pay site or something. Anyway, Lisa talks about Long Tail Pro. Does this do the same thing?
    The Google Keyword Tool is now called the Keyword Planner. It's essentially the same thing but with a few changes. It's still helpful for keyword research, and it's free.

I also have Long Tail Pro. It's a great program if you really want to see who your competition is, and the likelihood of you kicking them off of the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place positions on the Google search for that certain keyword. It also has both global and local search numbers, but I tend to focus only on the local search.

When type in a niche, such as "exercising", you will be given a HUGE HUGE HUGE list of keywords that relate to the keyword "exercising". I find that in order to make the most out of the program, you have to input certain requirements. When I'm brainstorming, I put the local search requirement at 3000, and the # of words in the keyword at 3. This tends to shorten the list fairly easily.

This is where LTP really shines: if you click on a keyword, you will be given a list of the top 10 websites that are ranking on Google for the keyword that you're examining. The information is a little overwhelming, but you'll want to look primarily at the page rank. If the page rank of the top 5 searches average at about 40-50 ish, then it's a good sign that the competition is low. There are a few more things to know but I think Lisa's video about LTP covers them all.

So you mean as long as the main topic, your example Losing Weight for the Elderly, gets over 3000 local hits I don't need to worry so much about specific KW's placed inside my articles. Sorry, I was SBI trained so this goes against what I learned, even though I know so much as changed in SEO since I first went with SBI.

I thought I was going to do another static website, but I think I've changed my mind after reading a lot of Lisa's related advice. I'll put some static info on the site, like on Lisa's hair site, but I will blog a few times a week keeping things all fresh. My niche is a subject that lends itself more to blogging I think.
    How long has it been since you joined SBI? It's possible that a lot of the SEO you learned back then can be out-of-date. I know people like to say that most of the SEO techniques back in 2011 and earlier no longer work for ranking in 2014.

And yes, I wouldn't worry about KW in your article at all. Today it's all about appealing to your audience, social media, and videos.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTekBoy View Post
    I am curious about Google Adwords Jay. How do you sign up without putting in Credit Card information?
    You shouldn't have to need to input any information apart from your timezone (and one other thing I can't remember). When you register at the top click on "Tools and Analysis", and then "Keyword Planner". You will then want to use the "Search for new keyword and ad group ideas".
    Last edited by Jay; 01-22-2014 at 10:12 PM.

Yea I am not getting that. I signed up and its asking for payment options. Won't let me get any farther. They must have changed it for new accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperTekBoy View Post
    Yea I am not getting that. I signed up and its asking for payment options. Won't let me get any farther. They must have changed it for new accounts.
    Ah dang :/. I didn't know that.

Hi Janna,

Make sure you sign up for my email list http://www.2createawebsite.com/subscribe. I will give you a free ebook on starting a niche site TODAY that will help you make sense of how SEO works today with some working, relevant examples.

I show screenshots of LongTail Pro and how I use it and I think that will help you make sense of all this.

Everyone has given great advice here and yes, I don't stress over the little details of keyword research but it is very, very important to scope out the Top 10 to see how competitive they are and to also research related, less competitive keywords to make sure there is enough demand.

The biggest mistake people make today is going way too broad with their topics.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Hi Janna,

Make sure you sign up for my email list http://www.2createawebsite.com/subscribe. I will give you a free ebook on starting a niche site TODAY that will help you make sense of how SEO works today with some working, relevant examples.

I show screenshots of LongTail Pro and how I use it and I think that will help you make sense of all this.

Everyone has given great advice here and yes, I don't stress over the little details of keyword research but it is very, very important to scope out the Top 10 to see how competitive they are and to also research related, less competitive keywords to make sure there is enough demand.

The biggest mistake people make today is going way too broad with their topics.
    Thanks Lisa, thanks to everyone who has responded.

I have signed up for your email list and downloaded the free ebook.

I am working hard and going slow to get it right this time.
    Weight Loss that Works!

Each time I go to dig deep into keyword research, I read something that makes me stop and check it out. For example, I thought I had chosen a good domain name but then read the benefits of keeping it to no more than 16 letters. Keeping it under makes it easier for the social networking part of building traffic.

Mine has 20 and there are no words I can leave out. So now I'm trying to find one I like as well. One that describes my site in three or four words. If I understand correctly, it doesn't have to be word for word what my niche is.

This technical keyword stuff is going to be the death of me. Not understanding it was the problem with my first website. I sure don't want to start of on the wrong foot.
    Weight Loss that Works!

Yes I will never forget a friend registering a domain that was 16 characters and it was one character too long for Twitter so her Twitter name looked odd. So yes, these are things you have to think about.

Don't let the technicalities get you down too much. You don't have to have every word in your domain. That doesn't have the advantage that it used to have. So relax, you'll be fine.

We're here for ya!

Thank you, Lisa. You are an angel. I signed up for your 2create newsletter and have been scouring over the ebook you sent for free. I've read it twice already. The reason I keep coming back (and will never go away again!) is that you put it out there for people like me to understand. Those of us who have a hard time getting the technicality of it all. I'm truly the right brain personality. Creative, intuitive, and a dreamer. The nuts and bolts of it all just isn't fun for me.

I still have to take it slow to digest what you are saying sometimes, but I'm learning that is part of the process for some of us.

I AM worrying too much because I don't want to fail again. Making this work is important to me. I think I can rock a niche that really needs to be rocked. I've narrowed my niche and am really excited about it.

BTW have you disclosed your secret website? I can't find anywhere that you have. My thoughts are why change something that you can't change back. I think its cool that its not connected to your brand in any way and that it is still doing well.

Thanks, Janna
    Weight Loss that Works!

Thank you, Lisa. You are an angel. I signed up for your 2create newsletter and have been scouring over the ebook you sent for free. I've read it twice already. The reason I keep coming back (and will never go away again!) is that you put it out there for people like me to understand. Those of us who have a hard time getting the technicality of it all. I'm truly the right brain personality. Creative, intuitive, and a dreamer. The nuts and bolts of it all just isn't fun for me.

I still have to take it slow to digest what you are saying sometimes, but I'm learning that is part of the process for some of us.

I AM worrying too much because I don't want to fail again. Making this work is important to me. I think I can rock a niche that really needs to be rocked. I've narrowed my niche and am really excited about it.

BTW have you disclosed your secret website? I can't find anywhere that you have. My thoughts are why change something that you can't change back. I think its cool that its not connected to your brand in any way and that it is still doing well.

Thanks, Janna
    Nope not now. It's too new. I may reveal later but haven't decided yet. Yeah I wanted to do something totally separate to see how difficult it would be to rank today without having any of my existing "authority" affect the site. I definitely learned it's all in the niche.... for sure. Going narrow is key.

Don't let the fear of failure get you. The cool thing about online is you can always adjust and recover. It's just part of the process. Goodness, I could write a book on my failures. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Yes I will never forget a friend registering a domain that was 16 characters and it was one character too long for Twitter so her Twitter name looked odd. So yes, these are things you have to think about.
    This this this. My old domain (Willtakesurveysforfood.com) was 22 characters long. I would often stumble saying the name when I'm recording my Youtube videos, and people were searching on GOOGLE to find me because they forgot what my domain name was!

I was getting weird things like "will take referrals for food" and "jay samson survey food" and "taking surveys for lunch jay samson" as keywords coming to my site.

That's not to mention Social media was just a mess. I had to do some weird acronyms like WTSFF or sign up as willtakesurveys4food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast