Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Uh Ohhh... It seems I've "gone viral"

Default Uh Ohhh... It seems I've "gone viral"

Holy Traffic Batman!

It seems someone posted something about one of my sites on Face Book and I've gone viral (for the day at least).

Just got home from dinner at my brothers house and found my traffic for today nearing 2000 visits! I went to the "Real Time" section on GA and there has been 10-12 visitors on there at any given time for the past hour!

This is really out of the ordinary for my site. I usually maintain a traffic flow of about 60 visits a day, and it's been steadily rising for the past year or two. I did receive a contact form submission from someone wanting to include one of my articles on their site (with credit pointing to my site), wonder if I should do it? I sure would like to see more of this traffic
    Scott, K2ZS
    My Amateur Radio Page about antenna restrictions and indoor amateur radio antennas
    TGCDesign Web Solutions - specializing in CodeIgniter and ExpressionEngine development
    Home automation ideas for todays smart home

LOL @ HOly Traffic Batman!

Scott, Congrats!

As far as the request, I would suggest to them that it's not a good practice to post duplicate content on their site so it would actually be better to either link or just post a snippet (first sentence or two) and then link back to your site.

Either that or offer to write a unique post for them (incorporating a link or two of course pointing back to something on your site).
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Congrats on receiving 2k visitors in a day. Hope you were able to get them to subscribe, for if you haven't you could have lost many of them(not necessary if you have excellent content though but even then).

If you did you should be having at least 500-1000 more subscribers in your list and if you take the general average of $1 per subscriber per month(that's low really), that is a cool $500-$1000 more per month just because of one day!

Actually, I've exchanged several emails with the person and he wanted to use it for their clubs printed (pdf) news letter. He's since sent me a copy...

This all came at a time when I was working at trying to make my site "mobile responsive". I was surprised to find that more than 36% of the visitors during this traffic spike were using some sort of mobile device. This prompted me to finish my work and yesterday afternoon I finally launched my new design.

The traffic spike seems to be dying down now. I'm down to about 20 visits an hour. I'm sure that in a few days I'll be back to the 60 or so visits a day. I have the new theme in place and I was able to incorporate it into the site with no visual change from the old theme. I have learned a great deal about mobile responsiveness in the process and am looking forward to sharing what I've learned with the WB community....
    Last edited by k2zs; 01-20-2014 at 04:20 AM.
    Scott, K2ZS
    My Amateur Radio Page about antenna restrictions and indoor amateur radio antennas
    TGCDesign Web Solutions - specializing in CodeIgniter and ExpressionEngine development
    Home automation ideas for todays smart home

Good work, Scott. It is ever more important to get responsive. Many people have an even higher rate of people using mobile devices so you may get more visitors to your site now that it is easier for them. I have seen some reports that over half of users in total are on the small screen.

My largest site, my primary one really, has close to 200 pages (I haven't counted recently) and I keep thinking about it but am having a hard time getting motivated to do all the work.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Yep my hair site is made up of 50% mobile viewers so a responsive theme was a must. Looking forward to hearing what you've learned!

I have sites where over 50% of the users are on a mobile device and I still haven't gotten around to making them responsive. I'm hoping I'll get better traffic and return visitors once I upgrade some of these sites

Congratulations Scott! That's awesome.

It could be the big break your site needs. I hope it accelerates from this point forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I have sites where over 50% of the users are on a mobile device and I still haven't gotten around to making them responsive. I'm hoping I'll get better traffic and return visitors once I upgrade some of these sites
    Yeah get on it Darren.