Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: My click rate is low. Is this normal?

Default My click rate is low. Is this normal?

I checked my adsense to see my click rate per visitor. My click rate is extremely low. Is this normal? The rate is so low which explains my low monthly earnings. The rate is much worse this month.
    Last edited by Franklin; 01-17-2014 at 05:28 PM.

I'd say that's only the low side, especially the 0.07% CTR. I'm afraid the average click rates for sites will only drop as people get more accustomed to ignoring ads, and with Adblock browser extensions getting more and more popular.

Have you optimized your site for Adsense ads? Where have you placed them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I'd say that's only the low side, especially the 0.07% CTR. I'm afraid the average click rates for sites will only drop as people get more accustomed to ignoring ads, and with Adblock browser extensions getting more and more popular.

Have you optimized your site for Adsense ads? Where have you placed them?
    I have a Google ad at the side bar, below the blog page's first post, and at the very bottom of the page. I have two Amazon ads on the side bar and I don't know my Amazon click rate.

I know that ads at the bottom of the page have extremely poor CTR. I guess I'd have to see your site to make any judgments. Mind posting the link or do you want to keep it hidden for now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I know that ads at the bottom of the page have extremely poor CTR. I guess I'd have to see your site to make any judgments. Mind posting the link or do you want to keep it hidden for now?
    I don't think that I'm allowed to post link. I don't have enough posts on the forums!

I had two Ad locations. My sidebar location did poorly. In fact I ditched that spot from AdSense tonight in favor of Affiliate Marketing as an experiment. The only remaining AdSense block is right after the post and before the comments. This one Ad block does get the majority of my conversions.

My issue is that my niche is I.T. Professionals and they are highly programmed to ignore ads, or, know how to keep all their ad blockers turned on.

My affiliate marketing is all geeky stuff (a lot of ThinkGeek spots) so we will see how my conversion is over the next 30 days.

The AdSense relevancy was okay for me. I was see a lot of I.T. Professional type ads.

Will see how this experiment turns out in the sidebar.

I know the best conversion happens at the top of the article, but I have felt that putting ads up there takes away from the reading experience. Same for ads that are mid post. I find that ads after the content and before the comment discussion are non-intrusive. But that means low CTR.
    Last edited by STB; 01-17-2014 at 05:58 PM.

My CTR is not that high either (won't reveal since it's against the terms so be careful about revealing that.) But the earnings are high due to the price of the ads. So that also makes a difference.

I agree with Jay, larger ads near the top usually perform better but you have to decide if it's worth losing a visitor for the income. It's that ongoing decision.

Also if there are not a lot of relevant ads, that will also harm the click thru.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    My CTR is not that high either (won't reveal since it's against the terms so be careful about revealing that.) But the earnings are high due to the price of the ads. So that also makes a difference.

I agree with Jay, larger ads near the top usually perform better but you have to decide if it's worth losing a visitor for the income. It's that ongoing decision.

Also if there are not a lot of relevant ads, that will also harm the click thru.
    I didn't know revealing the CPR is against terms. May you please remove it from the thread's title? Thanks

Yes, less than 1% is low. Me I look at the overall page CTR, I aim it at about 5% for an average cpc of $0.1. Or less if the average cpc is higher.. What I want is that adsense (all ad blocs included) reach a minimum of $5 CPM then I stop optimization since I feel this is correct payment, and it is adsense only, after you can add infolinks, affiliate programs, etc.
    Please don't click and register right now because the thing is broken.

Want traffic? Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 250,000+ UV / Month

Should be about 2%, what you're getting is low. Change the ad locations.