Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Using An RSS FEED

Cool Using An RSS FEED

I've found that if I put a 'Current' RSS feed item at the top of my post it tends to make the post subject seem up-to-date. You must include an 'Attribution' for the feed in order to be able to use it. This is actually called Content Curation

It would look something like this:

1: An introduction
    Twelve years ago I suffered a ruptured brain aneurysm. It was a very scary time for me. (BLAH BLAH BLAH)
    2: A current subject related content from an RSS feed.
    Knowing who your are after a cerebral hemorrhage. Article Title.
    Friday, January 10, 2014 10:14 AM (NOTE THE DATE)
    Knowing who your are after a cerebral hemorrhage. The key to surviving after you suffered a major head injury; a ruptured cerebral hemorrhage also falls into this class, is to find out what you can actually remember. The "Knowing who you are after a cerebral hemorrhage" title above, specifically a brain aneurysm that burst, sounds a bit vague. But it's not if you've experienced one of these brain traumas. I did not have a clue who I was when I came back to reality.
    READ THE COMPLETE STORY HERE... **This would be the link back to the feed; a must have!**

Now, you can either fill the rest of your article with some very good writing or continue on with 'Curating' more content for your article. there is a bit of a trick to curating stuff but it's not really that hard once you get the hang of it.

The idea behind the 'current' rss feed is give your article a 'New' appearance. And, this fits in with the new Google "Humming Bird" idea to rate a blog.

RT...

I use a site called Scoop.it to curate content which then auto populates a Tumblr blog. However the difference in what I do and what you described is that the content is hand curated and choose some of the top content after I have read the article and in most cases I add additional commentary.

I wouldn't suggest that someone "curate" another authors RSS feed for their own (main) blog. One thing you should consider when you are trying to build an online presence or establish yourself as an authority in your niche, is that you want to create original content.

Please don't confuse using RSS feeds this way with content curation. To be honest some might even consider this "scraping" content and it's not a good way to set yourself apart online.

Here's another suggestion for a way to use RSS feeds - you can use a site like Dlvr.it or Twitterfeed to add a blog's RSS feed to your Twitter stream. Be sure to @ mention the original author and I'm sure they will appreciate it more than what you just described.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Ileane View Post
    I use a site called Scoop.it to curate content which then auto populates a Tumblr blog. However the difference in what I do and what you described is that the content is hand curated and choose some of the top content after I have read the article and in most cases I add additional commentary.

I wouldn't suggest that someone "curate" another authors RSS feed for their own (main) blog. One thing you should consider when you are trying to build an online presence or establish yourself as an authority in your niche, is that you want to create original content.

Please don't confuse using RSS feeds this way with content curation. To be honest some might even consider this "scraping" content and it's not a good way to set yourself apart online.

Here's another suggestion for a way to use RSS feeds - you can use a site like Dlvr.it or Twitterfeed to add a blog's RSS feed to your Twitter stream. Be sure to @ mention the original author and I'm sure they will appreciate it more than what you just described.
    Ileane there are as many ways to Curate as there are subjects; more or less. What I've noticed since I started doing the curating thing is that a post can be loaded with random content. That is not good.

Some of the Curating software programs will list a dozen or so resources to select from; And, that's ok to a point. However, what seems to happen is that a post will look like a Google Search page.

Scoop.it is a good one for curating because it is site specific; sort of like curation is supposed to be. And, like everything else on the net, there is a bucket full of other "Scoop.it" type content gatherers (I don't think that's really a word but it will have to do . ie: there is one in WordPress in 'Tools' called 'Press This' that does sort of the same thing.

Anyhow, the important thing about Curating Content is getting Laser Targeted Content. That's when you add some personal views to the content; a must do. It's not good form to just scrape content, rewrite it, and then take credit for it.

I've tried out 4 different 'Curator' programs and, while each has sort of good features. However, they all have a lot of room for improvement. I am using one similar to Scoop.it with a couple of extra bells and whistles.

My whole point is that "Curation" is actually an acceptable way to get quality content to a blog; some really big names have been using it for some time.

Anyhow, nice to meet ya I Ileane.

Sean...

Hi again Ileane. I just remember this morning that I forgot to cover how I use RSS as a Curation tool.
    NOTE: I do not use the RSS feed excerpts.

Say, for example, that you are covering 'Blue Widgets'. You then find someone that is a recognized authority on Blue Widgets. that updates their site every day or so and has an RSS feed published and you subscribe to it. The RSS feed says "Hey, I got some new stuff you might want to look at" this will
    • A.. Say that the author would like you to take a look
    • B.. The Author is in effect, saying that it's ok to use my stuff
    • C.. Wants the coveted link-back

What you then have is current, updated "Blue Widget" content for your readers. You, of course, do not swipe the entire new post but only a small portion of it, a paragraph or so. Add your thoughts to the Top, maybe the Middle, and at the bottom. And it goes without saying, you "MUST" include attributions to the material.

For your efforts, and the author's efforts, you are perceived as a "Blue widget" expert also.

Curation is the use of someone else's material with proper credit given to the actual author and your own thoughts added.

RSS Feeds are nothing more than a source for quality, and current, material.

I can go on forever about this but that's kind of the short form of my thoughts of Curation.

Wish you well
    Sean...
    Last edited by 2bealive; 03-13-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Forgot about RSS