Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Viral posts a double edge sword?

Default Viral posts a double edge sword?

I love viral posts. Especially the traffic they bring. But boy, it makes you feel like you are only as good as your last viral post. The big question becomes, "How do I repeat that?".

I have a viral post right now.... and it's two thirds of my traffic. But it scares me as to when it is no longer relevant.

Running a blog about Information Technology can have a short lifecycle as technologies are replaced with newer, faster and better successors. Products fade away and so do the posts you wrote about them. Issues becomes resolved. That security hole you were the first to find gets plugged by a hotfix.

So....anyone have any tips on finding the next viral post in your niche? Or is it simply trending search words?

This is particularly why I dislike the term "passive income". Articles fade and lose power, so you have to continually refine them and add fresh content to your website.

I say to just not focus on being viral, but on being helpful. Being viral comes from people finding your content unique and valuable, so add value to future content and let your audience do the work.

Thanks Jay. I've only had one viral post. Maybe one and a half. Others get numbers but nothing compared to the viral ones.

I definitely write for value add and for my own enjoyment. But when they go viral it is an awesome surprise. The post I wrote that was 2/3rd of my traffic I had no idea it would be so popular. It continues to be a nice surprise every day.

Sometimes I write posts and expect them to be hot and they don't get much traffic. I write others that I don't expect to see a ton of traffic and they do REALLY well. Its a weird online world.

I recently just wrote a guide that I don't expect to get much traffic at all. I couldn't find a single guide online on how to do it. But I know others will need it at some point need it because I needed this process twice in the last 12 months myself. So I filled the gap with my guide.

Needless to say, if no one else is writing about it, there is either no demand, or, I will become the authority on it.

TekBoy, so the key is to analyze that post. What made it different than any of the others? There are a lot of great articles out there about "what makes content go viral." Sometimes it's just very in-depth information but maybe there's something else too?

1. Did you write on a trending topic in your niche?
    2. Did you provide extra information
    3. Was there an infographic?
    4. Did you evoke emotion?

What was different?

I've found that my posts that tend to do best are the ones that really "keep it real" or trigger some kind of emotion with people. For example my recent post about calling someone a sellout went over well on G+ and I rarely get that many shares there. But that one struck a cord with people because they can relate and it can be frustrating.

I believe I hit something right before it began to trend. Right place and right time. I believe I was one of the first to post on it before the rest of the noise hit the interwebs. And I think that significantly helped my SEO ratings on those keywords very early on. I actually have received quite a few pingbacks on it as well. If I check Google Analytics it shows me ranking average #1 for almost ten of the different keywords associated with that tutorial.

So I believe I hit a topic right before it trended.
    Last edited by STB; 01-14-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Bingo! When I tend to write about any new Google changes RIGHT after they happen, the shares are always higher.

So the lesson here is try to write on something that is trending as often as you can. And if you can be more detailed than most posts, it will help even more.

Nice job, TekBoy!

I use a method that works for any niche, not just internet marketing.

Topsy, a tool recently acquired by Apple, shows you the number of tweets per day for a keyword and the top tweets on each day. It also gives details of those tweets, recent tweets and much more. If you base your new post on the topics that the top tweets are using, your post has a high chance of going viral.

Google trends can be used too, along with Twitter trends and the combination of both will give you an amazing viral traffic flow.

Yea I've used the Google and Bing Trends before. They are pretty broad though.

Topsy looks promising. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by emvy548 View Post
    I use a method that works for any niche, not just internet marketing.

Topsy, a tool recently acquired by Apple, shows you the number of tweets per day for a keyword and the top tweets on each day. It also gives details of those tweets, recent tweets and much more. If you base your new post on the topics that the top tweets are using, your post has a high chance of going viral.

Google trends can be used too, along with Twitter trends and the combination of both will give you an amazing viral traffic flow.

I'm slightly Off topic, but a couple of years ago I came across a tech company that were using Twitter to determine the "mood" of the economy and world markets. They had a tool that analysed the emotional pendulum of Twitter by combing the language used. Hundreds of millions of tweets get analysed and this info is used to make predictions which turn out to be remarkably accurate.

I'll certainly be using the tool you mentioned for research topics. That is something I would like to blog about. It puts a new slant on the idea of keyword research since social media IS playing a larger role

I haven't had anything go completely viral but I use social media to revive old post traffic. I use a plugin "tweet old post" to constant share older but still relevant content. And I reshare on sites like Pinterest and stumble upon that seem to boost my performance.