Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: What's your speed?

Default What's your speed?

So, is Internet speed ever fast enough? Probably not. I live in the country and remember when we had dial up. My sister lived another 15 miles on the other side of us and I remember how we would call forward our phone to the Internet number so she could call us to get dial up without long distance. 14k at its finest.

Now I am sitting at 5 mps download and 1 mps up which is about 357 times faster. Of course, what we do on the Internet has increased as well. On Friday, I will be moving to 15 mps download and 6 mps upload. I am pretty excited. (Thus the reason for writing this post) For those unaware, I build websites, do social media and Internet marketing and spend most my day at the computer.

The USA is 9th when it comes to speed compared worldwide even though it is 27% faster than last year. Analyst figure this mostly caused by the cost for the top end speeds. In Hong Kong you can get 500 mps for $25/month.

My question is, “what is your speed”? If you are not sure you can use http://www.speedtest.net/. My provider even uses this to see what your real speed is compared to what you think you may be getting.

broadband.jpg
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

I currently have a 20 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload with my current package. For me, that works well as I really don't have anything that requires much faster download speeds - I mostly do streaming and 20 Mbps is more than fast enough for that.

The trouble with living in countries with large areas is that it takes time to upgrade the lines to account for faster speeds. Hong Kong is small compares to the US or Canada, so upgrading is probably not as expensive and can be done fairly quickly.

Cool tool! My download speed is 30.78 Mbps and upload speed is 26 Mbps.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Cool tool! My download speed is 30.78 Mbps and upload speed is 26 Mbps.
    And here I am pumped at getting half that. I wonder what level of production gets lost from lack of speed.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill the Builder View Post
    And here I am pumped at getting half that. I wonder what level of production gets lost from lack of speed.
    Probably not too much. Even half of that is pretty darn fast these days. Unless you are downloading large media files all the time or working with bloated apps, I'm sure you're not losing much production.

Wow! I'm at 15/1 and (until now) have been very happy at that. I can't imagine what more would be like....

I can say though, at my office, the companies internet connection is very poor. I think they got me the bare minimum to just send email and fax my paperwork in. I spend very little time there because I'm always in the field but when I am there, I tether off my cell phone because it's faster
    Scott, K2ZS
    My Amateur Radio Page about antenna restrictions and indoor amateur radio antennas
    TGCDesign Web Solutions - specializing in CodeIgniter and ExpressionEngine development
    Home automation ideas for todays smart home

I was not able to load the specified site hence I have checked out my broadband speed test at Scanmyspeed.com
    My speed test results: Upload speed : 3.8 Mbps Download speed : 15.8 Mbps