Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Instant WordPress 4.3.1 update to WordPress 3.8 fails

Default Instant WordPress 4.3.1 update to WordPress 3.8 fails

Hi all

I'm wondering which of you are running Instant WordPress and if you've experienced any issues with the WordPress 3.8 update? On a live server, updating automatically is easy. Within the IWP environment it fails repeatedly, even after I made adjustments such as increasing max execution time in the lserver config files.

In the end I managed to do it manually by downloading the WP 3.8 package and deleting the WordPress directory from Instant WordPress and pasting in the new files. It is a pain having to set up the wp-config files since these details must be set to the IWP defaults. I imitated what was already in a previous IWP configuration but my concern was the existance of a ht access file which is not present in the default WordPress 3.8 directory I downloaded.

I hope this isn't too confusing but anyone who uses a virtual server with WP will understand.

To clarify my question: has your WP 3.8 upgrade in your chosen virtual server been easy?

Just upgraded with no problems. Well at least you were able to get it going with the manual installation. I can't live without my InstantWP!

What browser are you using? I changed IWP to use Firefox. It's really odd that it fails. The failure message I receive is to do with the Twenty Fourteen theme. It says it cannot create the css folder for TwentyFourteen. Very strange. I might have to email Seamus and see what's going on. Reallym he should be releasing IWP 4.3.2 in light of WordPress 3.8.

BTW, has your TwentyTen theme folder disappeared?

I'm using the default IE. UGH! I wish they'd change that to Firefox or Chrome. I mean IE, really???? I just usually paste my login URL into Firefox after I launch the software. How did you change it from the program?

Yep, Twenty Ten and all the other defaults are still there.

Lisa, it's easy to change your default browser for IWP:

You can do this by adjusting the setting in the IWP server config file – pms_config.ini.

You can find this file in the IWP folder at iwpserver/pms_config.ini

You will find the line below setting the BrowserPath variable in the Browser section of the config file:

BrowserPath= ../system/InstantWP_GUI.exe

Change this to something like below, to the path of your favourite browser:

BrowserPath= “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe”

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Lisa, it's easy to change your default browser for IWP:

You can do this by adjusting the setting in the IWP server config file – pms_config.ini.

You can find this file in the IWP folder at iwpserver/pms_config.ini

You will find the line below setting the BrowserPath variable in the Browser section of the config file:

BrowserPath= ../system/InstantWP_GUI.exe

Change this to something like below, to the path of your favourite browser:

BrowserPath= “C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe”
    Cool, thanks!

I take it you know how to increase the max execution time in php.ini? That's useful for me because when I try to update WP inside Instant WordPress, Internet Explorer takes too long and cause WordPress to time out. Therefore in php.ini I set the max time to something like 3600

max_execution_time = 3600 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
    memory_limit = 128M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (8MB)

I changed the path to firefox as you suggested. I also copied the url into firefox. I can access the navigation menu in instant wordpress. I cannot log into my dash board on instant wordpress. It says it's invalid. I can log in to my live wordpress. What is going on??? I checked my enable cookies. They are fine.

Well i had the same problem, nothing what so ever wanted to update in Instant wordpress no matter what i tried it was can't do this, can't install that and nothing but errors...
    Untill i started looking at file permissions in the Instant wordpress installation folder...
    Here is what i did..

Rightclick on the instalation folder and choose properties..
    Go to security tab..
    In there choose your User profile...
    Now click on Advanced tab, in there select User, and change permission..
    Again select User, click edit and give full control..
    Inportant: when you come back to the window where you clicked edit, there is a box called replace all child object permissions, enable that and select user and apply it so all files in the folder has full permission..

Then i tried updating everything in Instant wordpress again and there was not one single error, not even a tiny hickup..
    100% up to date, just click on update.. :-)

That solved my problem. I don't know if it causes new problems of any kind but it worked for me.. ;-)

So you have downloaded the the latest version of IWP and you got these errors? Never had that myself, but good to know in case it happens to me.