Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Creating consumer reviews with SBI- tips needed

Default Creating consumer reviews with SBI- tips needed

Hello,

I have an SBI site that has been up for about 2 years now. I am interested in setting up a portion of the site where readers can submit product reviews. I'm trying to figure out if this is possible using SBI. I would like users to be able to submit a narrative along with a rating on a 5 star scale. I was considering using content 2.0 for this but I'm not sure if this will work. I want readers to be able to come to my page to search for the product and read all relevant reviews similar to yelp or amazon reviews but on a much smaller scale that would only focus on hair products. If anyone has a review section on their site I would love to see it or if you have tips on getting started I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

MsLala

Hey MsLaLa,

I don't think you can. I've never used Content 2.0 but I doubt that functionality in the tool is that robust.

Quote Originally Posted by MsLala View Post
    Hello,
    I was considering using content 2.0 for this but I'm not sure if this will work.
    It depends what you mean by 'work'.

C2.0 will certainly allow you to accept reviews, however the system is far too limited in functionality and clunky in design to form the basis of a serious review site.

For one thing, there will be a heck of a lot of manual work on your part. For another, there will be essential things you just can't do. For example, although someone can rate a review, the review itself cannot assign a star-rating (i.e. it is designed so that other visitors can rate C2 submissions, rather than the C2 submissions themselves giving a rating. Also, there is no search functionality, so people would have to browse products by a category, and you would have to set up all these categories and product lines yourself manually (which, trust me, is a nightmare).

Also, if you've used C2.0 before, you'll know that the clumsy design makes it very unattractive to users and response rates are far lower than with more slick frameworks available in WP.

Finally, maintenance tasks in C2.0 (e.g. approvals, deletions, re-categorizations, etc.) are a nightmare in my experience. Especially when if/when you get a large number of submissions. That's the main reason one of their flagship sites (Elad) had to migrate to a WP framework.

If reviews are going to form an important part of your business, I strongly recommend you do yourself a favor and spend the time up front finding an alternative WordPress solution. You will only be forced to migrate eventually anyway.

Hope that helps,

Britney

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Hey MsLaLa,

I don't think you can. I've never used Content 2.0 but I doubt that functionality in the tool is that robust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Britney View Post
    It depends what you mean by 'work'.

C2.0 will certainly allow you to accept reviews, however the system is far too limited in functionality and clunky in design to form the basis of a serious review site.

For one thing, there will be a heck of a lot of manual work on your part. For another, there will be essential things you just can't do. For example, although someone can rate a review, the review itself cannot assign a star-rating (i.e. it is designed so that other visitors can rate C2 submissions, rather than the C2 submissions themselves giving a rating. Also, there is no search functionality, so people would have to browse products by a category, and you would have to set up all these categories and product lines yourself manually (which, trust me, is a nightmare).

Also, if you've used C2.0 before, you'll know that the clumsy design makes it very unattractive to users and response rates are far lower than with more slick frameworks available in WP.

Finally, maintenance tasks in C2.0 (e.g. approvals, deletions, re-categorizations, etc.) are a nightmare in my experience. Especially when if/when you get a large number of submissions. That's the main reason one of their flagship sites (Elad) had to migrate to a WP framework.

If reviews are going to form an important part of your business, I strongly recommend you do yourself a favor and spend the time up front finding an alternative WordPress solution. You will only be forced to migrate eventually anyway.

Hope that helps,

Britney
    Thanks you all. I've been playing around with the content 2.0 and I agree it's not going to work. I hate to move my site but am considering it. I really like the information that SBI has to offer and it has really helped me build my site. However I want to expand and am considering the review portion as well as a forum and it seems like adding these things will be a hassle with SBI. I am considering setting up a subdomain and using Infin It as an option. Are there any cons that anyone has experienced with using Infin It?