Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scam warning: John Robinson Xfactor / Larry the Craigslist guy stole $661 from me

Default Scam warning: John Robinson Xfactor / Larry the Craigslist guy stole $661 from me

Hi All-
    I'm posting in here in hopes I can save just ONE person from being defrauded by this crook. John Robinson/Xfactor has been around for years and apparently has been stealing people's money for years, and I was one of the latest victims.

I (my mother!) paid him a total of $661 for his newest "course" and private coaching/site building. $66 was for the course and the rest for the site building service. I've literally gotten nothing but empty promises and dozens and DOZENS of emails saying "I'll get to you in a couple days" or "have you up and running soon."
    He's been giving me the same excuses since early July. JULY 9!
    I emailed him one "last" time on Dec 28:

Hiya John-
    Yes I've definitely waited long enough! I'll be looking for my money page to be completed THIS week, as I can't handle any more delays. I was really hoping to be making money by last week, at the absolute very latest even after all the other delays. I paid you the additional $198 (to total $595 for the site bldg service, which is an extraordinary amount of money for someone in my position) Dec 5, and I just keep getting pushed back. This has been the theme for months now. I'm at the point where I need to pull the plug on this, get a FULL refund and move forward with the site on my own. I'll just give up sleeping for the next few weeks to get it done
    I've gotta put a date on this and stick to it. If my money page and all supporting pages (basically everything promised in phases 1-3 here http://adsensemasterscourse.com/Custom-Sites.html, also note on that same page you say you can/will have the entire site up and running in 7-10 days) aren't completely up and done by next Monday, Jan 6th, I will need a full refund of $661 ($595 for site building plus $66 for the actual adsense course) processed by Monday evening Jan 6th. If the site isn't up and running and a refund is in order, I really expect (and hope) I won't have to chase you down for it to be processed. It's a process on paypal that takes less than 5 minutes. I would hope I will at least be extended the courtesy of a prompt refund if the site isn't completed by Jan 6th.
    I am sorry it's come to this, I feel I've been more than patient and understanding given that I've paid for a service and can't get anything delivered. So either way, I can either look forward to a completed site or full refund by Monday Jan 6.
    Thanks for your cooperation on this!

Of course his reply was:

Hi Liz,
    Sounds great and thanks for the reply. You'll be up and running soon.

So I went to his forum and posted the question "who has purchased John's site building services, and what are your experiences?"
    Within minutes my post was gone and I was locked out of the forum and I got an email from him saying:

Hi Liz,
    I think it would be best for me to give you a refund. I'll take care of it for you by the end of the week.
    I'll even give you an extra $50 for your time waiting.
    You deserve it. I just don't think I'm the teacher for you.

I then asked him to refund me that day (Sunday Dec 29) since he locked me out of the forum. He replied back saying I wasn't locked out and that it was a glitch others were experiencing as well and he would fix it in a few minutes. Well, a week later no refund and I was still locked out of the forum.
    What's worse is, he took advantage of someone in a very difficult financial situation. He has known since day 1 the financial hardships I was/am dealing with and still decided to take advantage of me.
    I would think even the lowest of low scumbag scammers wouldn't take advantage of someone facing foreclosure who borrowed the $661 from her parents (one of which has a debilitating brain tumor and can't work anymore and they are drowning in medical bills) in order to purchase his course and services.... right? Ugh.
    I also decided to go into paypal to look at the details of the transactions, and he has changed his name from John Robinson/ Xfactor Publishing to LPR industries with an email address with the name Larry Powell larrypowell1970@gmail. This sent me into high alert and I contacted paypal to see what could be done about these charges, and there is nothing they can do. Not because some of the charges are over 6 months old, but because they don't offer buyer protection on services, AT ALL. So unless you are buying tangible goods, you are not protected. I had NO idea!
    THANKFULLY, visa is/was able to do a chargeback for $595 even though the charges are well out of the 120 day dispute window, because of the dozens of emails from him saying "I'll get to you by this date" and then again later "I'll get to you by this date..." and so on.

And it turns out, he's now posting under a new name in Warrior Forum to start his scams all over again, http://www.warriorforum.com/offline-...ess-story.html
    The guy wasn't even smart enough to realize that when you change your info in Paypal, it's retroactive and affects all transactions, not just the ones going forward. So he was easy to find with the new info he put into paypal. I posted my story in warrior forum in the thread started in June 2012 about him, and I had several people PM me with their stories. One guy for $500, another for $100, someone else for $300, and most horribly, he took one guy for $3,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily that guy got his money back after he got the police involved.

ANYWAY long story long - don't be the idiot I was. Happy to answer any questions and I really hope I saved someone from losing even $1 to this guy...

Happy Friday (LOL)
    Liz

That's just the lowest of lows. I'm really happy that you got most of your money back, though. I'd be completely devastated if I was scammed out of $500+.

I don't recommend buying courses, by the way, unless you read unbiased reviews on it online. No course should be more than $200 in my opinion. $661 seems pretty steep. You can buy SBI (Site Build It!) for half that cost AND get a hosted website complete with a .com domain, along with tons of helpful guides and the Brainstorm tool.
    Last edited by Jay; 01-10-2014 at 11:36 AM.

Hey Liz. Sorry you went through that chaos. This will be a great warning to others looking at his course.

I don't buy any courses myself. Look long and hard enough and you can find all the information you want for free. Lisa always talks about how things like SEO are rapidly changing. So a book or course from even 6 months ago can be quickly outdated today.

Good luck and hope you can move forward quickly with your goals!

Hey guys - Totally agree! ALthough only $66 was for the "video course" and the rest was one on one coaching with site building service. Either way, shouldn't have spent money that way. Previous to this experience, I purchased maybe one or two ebooks back in 2008, and then not again until last year when I bought one of Lisa's ebooks, which was well worth the $27. $661 however, is insane. And I really hope my experience is a lesson to others

Liz, you are a terrific person and do excellent work. You deserve to be flourishing by now and would be if life was fair! Sadly, a lot of life isn't fair, but I will tell you this: as frustrating as your life may have been this past year, I would much rather be living in your skin than his! In spite of everything, I bet you sleep a lot better at night than he does.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Liz, this is horrible! I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can definitely say this.... what goes around comes around and this guy will eventually get what's coming to him. Glad you got most of your money back.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Liz, you are a terrific person and do excellent work. You deserve to be flourishing by now and would be if life was fair! Sadly, a lot of life isn't fair, but I will tell you this: as frustrating as your life may have been this past year, I would much rather be living in your skin than his! In spite of everything, I bet you sleep a lot better at night than he does.
    James you are too kind!
    I know, life totally isn't fair but there is reason I'm on this journey and a reason for everything I think!

And yes Lisa, I totally believe in Karma and if I can help it find John Robinson a little bit sooner, I'm more than willing Lol.
    Happy Friday everyone - felt good just to be able to tell my WB family about all this mess, and I know y'all are too smart to fall for something like this anyway...

Sorry to hear about your troubles and thanks for warning us!

If he has started operating under another name at the Warrior Forum you may inform Paul(PaulMyers) by messaging him on the forum. He is always quick to respond and will appreciate the heads up about any scammer posting in that forum. If you want to do some more, you can also report him to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, or IC3, which has the FBI as a part of it. I bet they will surely be able to stop him from what he does and hopefully put him behind bars too!

You can submit a complaint at their site at ic3(dot)gov.

By the way you don't really need paid courses when you have excellent resources on the internet like Lisa's blog, videos and ebooks. You can even clear your doubts over anything pertaining to internet marketing right here on this Forum, like so many are doing. It's not too difficult to earn well online if you have the right information and take the right approach.

Quote Originally Posted by emvy548 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your troubles and thanks for warning us!

If he has started operating under another name at the Warrior Forum you may inform Paul(PaulMyers) by messaging him on the forum. He is always quick to respond and will appreciate the heads up about any scammer posting in that forum. If you want to do some more, you can also report him to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, or IC3, which has the FBI as a part of it. I bet they will surely be able to stop him from what he does and hopefully put him behind bars too!

You can submit a complaint at their site at ic3(dot)gov.

By the way you don't really need paid courses when you have excellent resources on the internet like Lisa's blog, videos and ebooks. You can even clear your doubts over anything pertaining to internet marketing right here on this Forum, like so many are doing. It's not too difficult to earn well online if you have the right information and take the right approach.
    Hi Emvy!
    Yes Paul had actually msg'd me, because "Larry" had complained to him about the thread and how I was getting him mixed up with someone else. After providing certain details, including the email address in paypal which is apparently the email address he used to register as Larry on WF, Paul most definitely has his eye on him now.
    Oh wow I had no idea about that website! I will go check it out, and tell others about it too - I am just one of MANY over the years that John has stolen money from!
    Thanks everyone for your support and kind words - I know I don't need to pay for information or look much further than website babble for everything I need. For years, it's been a wonderful resource of great info for me, and it will continue to be a great place for knowledge and helpful, friendly folks
    Many thanks!
    Liz

Robert Guest

Thanks for the informative posts Liz!

Unfortunately, I was another person scammed by Mr. Robinson, to the tune of $590. Fortunately that's a loss I can handle, but it doesn't make me any less pissed.

I remember your situation from the forum and I thought at the time what a jerk he was for leading you on.

That's some very good detective work regarding the 'Larry the Craigslist Guy'. That's kind of how he started with his xfactor persona. He wrote some posts people liked and the next thing you know he's releasing products, starting a paid forum, offering coaching and basically promising folks internet marketing success. A promise, he obviously doesn't deliver on.

I suppose now that he's played out the xfactor scam, he's hoping people will start clamoring for him to come out with a product for selling on Craigslist. And then he can begin the process all over again...

Anyway, best of luck of to you and thanks again.

Robert

Hi Robert!
    Sorry you were scammed as well. Such a shame he continues to get away with it, apparently he's been doing this for quite some time!
    Yes that was my (and others) theory as well, that he would write some "bait" posts to get people interested and basically have THEM begging for him to write an ebook, then the snowball starts from there.
    He had edited his original post in Warrior Forum saying people have him mixed up with a scammer so he removed information, but I see as of right now he has put back his original post. Or actually now that I'm reading it closer, it's not the original post. He's jazzed it up a lot. Hmmm will be interesting to see where he tries to take it...

Thanks for sharing!
    Liz

Oh my, people like that are disgusting. They make me sick, I am so sorry to hear that happened.

Awww, I am so sorry to read what happened to you, LizK. I am also sorry you had to put yourself in a position where you have to place your trust on someone, just to see the trust violated. It makes me feel very sad, and I hope you can move on from this, dust off the bitter memories, and continue on your own path to make your site successful again.

I have never had to pay anybody to do something for me on the web, particularly someone whom I have not met face to face, and after reading your story, I am even more wary of it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by tim-the-traveler View Post
    Awww, I am so sorry to read what happened to you, LizK. I am also sorry you had to put yourself in a position where you have to place your trust on someone, just to see the trust violated. It makes me feel very sad, and I hope you can move on from this, dust off the bitter memories, and continue on your own path to make your site successful again.

I have never had to pay anybody to do something for me on the web, particularly someone whom I have not met face to face, and after reading your story, I am even more wary of it in the future.
    Thanks Tim. Yep it's been pretty awful I'm just grateful I got most of my money back. And I've had several people see my post and contact me. The latest email being from Steve Simard who asked me to post on his behalf:

"Hi guys. I got stolen too by john xfactor. I paid 795$ for his custom site service. I bought his service last dec 10, 2013. He never delivered the product and always postponed to the following week due to personal problems. The thing here is that heís having personal problems for years. He ripped off several other people.

I suggest you all go to http://www.ic3.gov and file a complaint. Thatís what i did. If we all do the same, the FBI will probably track him down and who knows maybe we all get a refund. You can also call the San Diego Police Department and make a complain.

Letís get together and stop him from stealing honest people like us.

I have made some research and found some personal infos regarding him (adress, tel, etc). I can PM them to you if you want to add those to your file complain. Just PM me and I'll be glad to provide and do all i can to have him arrested and pay us back"

LizK I tried to pm you but can't since I just joined here, but I did email you from this forum's contact feature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast