Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for overcoming Video shyness???

Default Tips for overcoming Video shyness???

Hey there!

I've been making youtube videos for the past few months to help people get to know me better and to vlog about my business. I've not made a lot of videos so far (about 7) and I have 16 subscribers. I am having a very difficult time overcoming my shyness. I am a very introverted and reserved person, but I really want to get more comfortable being on camera. I am not trying to be a huge youtuber. I make the videos for those who follow my work and of course to gain a bigger following. I feel like it helps people see who I really am and to better connect with me and my work.

I always get so tongue-tied when making a video. I create an outline, so I can stay organized. This helps, but I just get so nervous. I really could enjoy making videos if I could learn how to relax and be natural.

Does anyone have any tips for how I can overcome my video shyness?

Thanks in advance!

I had video shyness before and it's just something that goes away as you make more and more videos. I recommend just talking casually as if with a friend - no stopping the video and starting over; you can just edit it later - and it should appear more natural.

double posted

Practice, practice, practice! Don't be afraid to do multiple takes, use the power of editing (you can use Windows Movie Maker for this) and rehearse what you are going to say off camera. Talk to the camera as if you were Skyping with your friend. Make it personable. And don't forget to smile. Smiling is contagious.

....or have a cocktail before you do it.

It's a bit similar to stage fright and here's how to get rid of it. Think that you are telling your audience something extremely useful, something that is going to make them a difference, and you cannot let shyness come in the way for it will dilute the effect of what you are trying to tell them.

Imagine that you are speaking to people you know, a group of friends or even family, whoever you are really comfortable with. Put a photograph near the camera of the person to whom you can speak freely to, without any shyness and you will find that the shyness will disappear.

By the way you look very pretty with such a disarming smile, and a lot of ladies would do anything to look like you. No need to feel shy!

Yes, I have stopped and started over many times (accompanied with a lot of cursing haha). I always forget I can just edit the video later. I think the part of the reason I get so nervous is that I try making it all perfect in one frame....but there is nothing wrong with editing the video later. Thanks for the tips!

Yes, I always try rehearsing it a little beforehand, but I also try not talking as if I am reading a script or sounding to rehearsed and unnatural ...which is hard for me to do sometimes. But I will keep practicing. Thanks! *remembers to smile*

Trust me....the thought has been considered haha

Wow, such great advice everyone!

I think just knowing I can always edit later is what makes me more comfortable. When I first started doing videos I didn't really know how to edit so I would sit and try to do it all in one take. Man, I would start over like 7 or 8 times!

Before you record, have you ever tried doing a rehearsal? Just sit in your chair or stand wherever you are going to record and pretend as if the camera is on?

Sometimes before I do a video I will also go over my talking points in the shower the night before. LOL Sounds kind of crazy but it's how I brainstorm and organize my thoughts. I don't know why the shower always works best for that.

But like Jay said, it's really all about doing them over and over again. The more you do them, the easier it will be. I remember I felt tense in my first videos, but it gets easier.

LOL @ the cocktail.

I also like emvy's suggestion of pretending you are talking to your friends or family. Just remember, people just want you to be natural and conversational. Don't try to be extra professional (unless your niche calls for it.) Just sit and pretend you are having a casual conversation.

Good point! I guess I should focus on talking to my audience and connecting with them instead of focusing on my shy nature. I think I need to come up with some better video topics too...that will help motivate me haha. I think sometimes I make a video for the sake of making a video and not really have solid topic to talk about. I will work on that too.

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes I agree Lisa...great advice everyone!

I use moviemaker, so I can cut and edit. There is really no need to start over and over again...but I have done that needlessly. I also tend to put to much pressure on myself to get everything right the first time. I just need to relax. I do try rehearsing, but I guess when that camera comes on I feel like a huge stadium of people is watching me :O

I suppose practice makes perfect (or a good cocktail might do it....haha jk...kinda)

My niche isn't overly professional, so that helps. It's just about me talking to my fans about my work...which is creative and fun.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Just remember, we are our own worst critics. Also remember, the majority of your audience probably admire you for being brave enough to put yourself out there so relax. They don't want or expect you to be perfect -- just conversational.

I remember when Amy Porterfield started podcasting, she used to edit out every single mistake. So she challenged herself and did one without editing all the mistakes --- only the major ones. She asked for feedback and people said the one with the small mistakes actually were the most enjoyable because they sounded more natural.

I don't edit out all my mistakes anymore. If they are small like an extra "uh" or if I have to start a word over I'll leave some of those in. Now if it's a long awkward pause or I say something incorrect then I'll edit that but I think you'll find that the imperfections are what make it seem more genuine. Just relax. You got this!! A cocktail may work too. lol

Yes, I suppose the little mistakes make you seem more human...and not an actor of some sort. People have told me my shyness is a bit cute, so I guess I am too hard on myself. New mantra "I got this!!" Thanks

I also try watching other youtubers (including you Lisa) so I can studying how they carry themselves. That helps me learn how to compose myself on camera. Well, I am looking more forward to making videos now instead of dreading it. Yay!

*feeling confident*

I relate fully with your situation. I think it is just a matter of time until you master it. I started my camtasia the other day and closed it..... hahaha I know exactly of what you speak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast