How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Traffic and Monetization Aside.....

Default Traffic and Monetization Aside.....

For those that don't know I write a blog for I.T. Professionals. The idea behind the blog is to post about some crazy bizarre fixes that I haven't seen blogged about 100 times already (hopefully). It is even more focused than that, only specializing on technologies I work with personally in my regular 9-5.

Traffic and monetization aside, I think the ultimate success is when you see other experts in the I.T field referencing your blog posts as the intended fixes for a problem. Or, it being the actual fix.

I give away a lot of free expert help on Experts-Exchange. I am a designated expert. They keep it competitive by awarding points for correct and assisted answers. Sometimes its a bit of a race to see who can help first. It gets interesting when someone beats you to the punch with your own blog post and gets the points for posting it. LOL.

Anyway.....head swelling is now returning to normal. I can fit through all doors in my house once again.

I get a lot of viewership from India as well. So I can only assume some tech support call center is viewing my stuff too.

I had a coworker that is a Microsoft MVP and an MCM. He had a blog on a single Microsoft technology. He mentioned to me once he called Microsoft technical support for a problem on that technology and they started referencing his own blog posts back to him over the phone.

Now I haven't had that happen to me yet, but that would be pretty cool.
    Last edited by STB; 01-08-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Indeed, that would be super cool......

I am sure your site is going to be like a huge reference manual as you continue to add articles...

Perhaps your monetization will consist of ebooks filled with your content.

Naa, if I know my audience, they will keep looking until they find the same content for free. So I don't see the EBook route working for me.

I am hoping affiliated marketing will be the way to go. Although after careful review of 3 or 4 affiliate marketing networks, like ClickShare, ClickBank or Commission Junction I have determined it is not right for my audience.

Instead I am going directly to a few different companies and using their own internal affiliated marketing programs. Its all products I use in my regular 9-5. So its stuff I can easily review and stand behind. I.T Professional Approved.

If my numbers get high enough up there I may even look into selling my own Ad spaces. But I need to learn to walk before I run.... actually crawl might be better yet.

Tutorials aside there are editorial pieces as well. And I try and find the balance of geek humor versus serious tutorial time. Strangely, I have a few screenshots that seem to reference Doctor Who and have made claims that Hewlett Packard has an army of genetically altered monkey soldiers with bazookas (Gosh I hope HP never sues me for that one).
    Last edited by STB; 01-08-2014 at 08:55 PM.

Hey SuperTekBoy, that is very cool. That also gives you some nice, natural "Link juice" that may help your rankings down the line so it's a win-win. A lot of people here come searching for manual links, this is an example of how good content can earn natural links too! Way to go.

Just a question...

What about the big networks turned you off? Did you mean you couldn't find any merchants that sold products related to your niche or was there something else?

Start your own thread. Since this was your first post, you should post in the introduction area.

As for the OP, I like the IT professional approved But, this is a space where i have no idea what type of product you would recommend. Perhaps run AdSense for a bit and see what companies and products are being advertised through that network to give you a better idea of what might be relevant for your website? J
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.