Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Some useful Wordpress plugins I use...

Default Some useful Wordpress plugins I use...

These are some of the plugins I use, have done for sometime now, they are all free and should do no harm. Feel free to stick yours below - free, no promotion of your paid ones You can see all these plugins being used on my sites, as an example: Health Lottery

Akismet - very useful to prevent spam, uses a large network to cypher out spam comments, really accurate and very rarely slips up.

AdRotate - great if you use different banners on your website, free version works amazing.

jQuery lazy load - this will save bandwidth, it basically only loads images above the fold then if a user scrolls down it will bring the other images up.

NextScripts - posts all your latest posts to social media platforms, good for tasks like Delicious, LinkedIn and Tumblr, does FB, Twitter and G+ but I've found it far better to do these manually

Open external links in a new window - self explanatory

Revision Control - this declutters Wordpress revisions, some posts have 10-15 stored revisions and this will allow a limit.

W3 Total Cache - improves loading speed by enabling GZIP and other caching services, it's best to only activate sections you know and understand as this can break your website.

Wordpress SEO - YOAST - really powerful SEO plugin allows all the features you would expect from an SEO perspective.

WP No Category Base - Removes the category URL e.g. it will change www.example.com/category/seo to www.example.com/seo/

WP Smush.it - a plugin designed by Yahoo! it will compress all your images to make it load faster and save bandwidth, will do existing images and all future ones automatically. Runs in background and does not impact image quality as far as I can tell

All the other plugins I use tend to come from a as and when needed basis.

Whats your essential plug ins?

Good list. I think I've used almost all of these at some point except the jQuery lazy load. That's a new one to me.

I have really narrowed my plugin list a lot lately but some faves for me are...

Contact Form 7 (gotta be the best contact form for WordPress)

Foobar (great for promoting discounts, special offers, etc.)

Premise (a great landing page/membership plugin that has been discontinued)

Subscribe to Comments (does what it says and let's others subscribe to your comments)

Easy Social Icons (a super simple sharing plugin)

MaxBlogPress Ninja Affiliate (automatically adds affiliate links to certain keywords)

Websimon Tables (great plugin to create a product review chart)

I use a handful more but these are some of my faves.

Most helpful posts, I am about to begin with Word Press and will want to refer to both of your lists. Thanks

I don't use more than 4-5 plugins as the more plugins you have the more time your website pages will take to load. Google does not favor sites which take an undue amount of time to load. Here is my list of useful plugins:

WordPress SEO by Yoast
    Contact Form 7
    Google XML Sitemaps
    Really simple Facebook Twitter share buttons
    Akismet
    WordPress Database Backup
    Broken Link Checker
    Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
    SEO Friendly Images
    What Would Seth Godin Do
    Tweet Old Post
    Author hReviews (for reviews)
    All in One Favicon

Default Which is the best SEO plugin?

This is easy...Yoast wordpress plugin. It is a powerful SEO plugin, easy to use and setup. You can now add google+ authorship.

It shows you how to

Focus your keywords was found in:
    Article Heading
    Page title
    Page URL
    Content
    Meta description

Depending on your niche and keyword phrases it will help you rank on the first page of google. Of course there are other factors involved such as keyword research, authority backlinks, online date and a few others.

BTW...it's a free plugin. In my opinion it's better than "all in one seo". One more thing do not have both plugins installed as it will make your site go bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by sbglobal123 View Post
    can some one tell me best seo plug in for wordpress.
    If you must use one I agree that Yoast is best, but I don't use an SEO plugin anymore. I just use my theme's SEO settings and the Google XML sitemap plugin.

Lisa, what social media plugin do you use for the FB Like, Google+, and Tweet buttons at the bottom of your blog posts on blog.2createawebsite.com? I was using Jamie Social Icons plugin but for some reason Google+ doesn't ever show no matter what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Lisa, what social media plugin do you use for the FB Like, Google+, and Tweet buttons at the bottom of your blog posts on blog.2createawebsite.com? I was using Jamie Social Icons plugin but for some reason Google+ doesn't ever show no matter what I do.
    It's called Twitter Facebook Social Share.
    http://www.searchtechword.com/2011/0...lus-one-share/

I really intended to go back to Sharebar after they fixed their bug but I really like the simplicity of that plugin.

Would there be a plugin that can guide you as to what blogs you may comment on......

LOL Needless to day I am researching how to comment and, importantly, where to comment...

Quote Originally Posted by daveM View Post
    Would there be a plugin that can guide you as to what blogs you may comment on......

LOL Needless to day I am researching how to comment and, importantly, where to comment...
    I would personally just google keywords in your niche and perhaps add "blog" to it. That's one way. Another way is to search http://www.alltop.com

I'm sure its already been mentioned but this JetPack Plugin is fantastic. Seems like it is about 12 plugins in 1.