Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: I bought a penalized spammy domain name - Testimonial

Default I bought a penalized spammy domain name - Testimonial

I bought a domain name at name cheap. I moved one of my website to this domain name and the new domain name never appeared in google.

Then, later on, in webmaster tools, i had hundreds of 404 pages in crawl error section. I submitted my domain to the reconsideration request team from Google. They told me that i "had to delete pages" that were spammy.

I understood that this particular domain name was owned by a spammer. I moved my website to another domain name and it appeared again in the google results.

Later on, Matt Cutts talked about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lGUw9oS5csI

Talking about the matt Cutts speech. I d like to say i had no way to know i was buying a penalized domain name at namecheap. Furthermore, Google did not flush the spammy pages in its index when the domain name was on sale at name cheap. (with a purchasing page). It took 4 months for the spammy pages to be flushed in the "google crawl errors" from Google webmaster tools.

I know now it is good to check it a archive.orgfirst to know how the previous website looked like under this domain name.

Take care!

By default Google will automatically remove a domain penalty in certain period. But if the algorithm mechanics, redetect the spammy links, it is possible to penalty again.

Possible solution:

1. In Google webmaster, there is a tool Disavow links to remove spam links, however if the volume is huge you may not able to report one by one.

2. Contact site owner to remove those backlink

3. If those link is point to subpage, you may use robots txt to no index the page, so that the robots stop index on the particular page and stop extend damage to root domain.

wow, I had no idea something like that could happen. Thanks for all the information. I am now watching Matt's video.

take care

Interesting. I'm surprised google didn't remove the pages when it was up for sale. I've always heard they did.

Do you know how long the domain had been for sale after the previous owner's pages were no longer there?

I bought an old domain with 1500 backlinks. The site was not spammy but it is resulting significant 404 error in the webmaster tools. What should I do about it?
    Last edited by reza; 06-06-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reza View Post
    I bought an old domain with 1500 backlinks. The site was not a spammy but it is resulting significant 404 error in the webmaster tools. What should I do about it?
    GWT shows you where the bad links are coming from. Some of them may be scraper sites. If they are real sites, you can contact the owner or create a 301 redirect to another page you create.

Yes, it is really very difficult to correct a spammy/penalized domain name, rather you should start with new domain name I would say.
    Is your website Hacked? Try -> www.sitebeak.com
    Is Google Analytics installed Properly? Test -> www.GAtective.com
    Impersonal Google search? Check -> www.impersonal.me

that sucks
    it will take time to be removed from google's backlist
    if you can't wait then move on with a new one

Yeah that's a good idea to check if that particular domain was used by spammers or not. Thank you for sharing your experience, we will be careful from now.
    HostUG - Domains & Web Hosting Provider
    Domains From $8.95 | Reliable Web Hosting from $1 Per Month | Order Now

Accepted Payment Methods: PayPal, Skrill and Payza
    WebMasterJet.Com - WebMasters Discussion Forum

This is why I've always been hesitant in buying older domains and stick with new domains that I know haven't been used for spam.

Chad