Thread: Freelancing problems

Default Freelancing problems

I know that this post is a bit off topic for website creation, but I just feel I have to vent somewhere.

I have posted a couple of previous posts about my experiences freelancing.

Anyways, a client said she would hire me for her next project at an agreed upon rate. I submitted a proposal at the agreed upon rate and she hired someone else at a lesser rate.

I know that this is life, but I don't really know if I have what it takes to be in business for myself. She seemed like a nice person and I took her to her word. I spent quite a lot of time communicating with her about what her preferences are, etc. I was looking forward to working for her.

Anyways, I really don't think I have what it takes to be in business for myself. I really take these things personally. At least with a job you go to work, get paid and you are done for the day.

Just a few random thoughts of mine. Feel a bit discouraged with this whole freelancing thing.

PS - She agreed to go halfway. I accepted a job offer with her for half way for the freelancer offering to do the job for less and what I wanted for the job. Sometimes you have to compromise! It is a weekly job so this might just work out perfect for me. The job is on the weekend too which is a bonus as I am a full-time student. This might just work as a good way to make a little extra money, which I desperately need. She funded the Escrow right away and accepted the terms of the proposal so I know I will get paid, unlike a previous experience. Thanks for allowing me to post slightly off topic posts. There are some good work at home forums but I just don't feel like posting on another forum right now.

Hey, glad you made some progress. Yes, working for yourself can be a challenge whether it's freelancing, affiliate marketing, etc. Good luck on the job! Who knows, this particular project could lead to more work down the road.

Thanks Lisa! Yeah, she is a freelance journalist and says if she is happy with my work than it will be transcribing about an hours worth of dictation every week or so for her, which would be awesome! That is actually just what I am looking for and meeting half way between the lower bid that she was going to take and mine seems reasonable enough. Anyways, I would anyways, but I am definitely going to make sure that I do a good job for her. Actually, from what I have been reading online I am lucky to have broken through with a couple of payed jobs so quickly on Elance, as apparently a lot of people have trouble "getting their foot in the door" so to speak.

I too would say that atleast you have something in hand. And I would agree that finding the first step is always difficult, so be happy that you have got it, slowly and gradually things will shape up.

Yeah, you are right. The people that are making money at it have a lot of experience and have established a good reputation for themselves. Everyone has to start somewhere. I am thankful for this opportunity that I have now. I think if I stick at it, I might even be able to make a full living from freelancing eventually.

That's just all part of business you are always going to run into clients that will back out at the last minute. Don't let it get to you, one thing you just learned form this is NEVER start work on any clients project unless you have received your down payment!! Also remember your pen is your friend when making your proposal, instead of lowering your price just show your potential client how much more you are giving them for your price. Your proposal is you sales man.

I agree with Jeff, there are ups and downs in everything, what matters is that you must move on. And yes Jeff is right that you should not try to give in to the client's request for bargain, rather you can show them the benefits they get on hiring you, this is the way you make your image in front of clients.

Unfortunately people are flakes and sometimes things like this happen. You can start requiring a half down deposit if your portfolio is good. This (or them paying all up front) will keep them from going to another freelancer.

Jeff and Kemcar,

That is good advice to show the potential client the benefits of hiring me, rather than giving in to the clients request for a bargain. I was actually looking the profile of a freelancer in the same niche that I am in, who I has gotten a lot of work on Elance plus has a high rating. In her profile she lists some of the benefits of paying a little more to hire her. She has build a good reputation and has a lot of really good feedback, which definitely helps too.

The client that talked me into lowering my price ended up being really happy with my work and she actually payed me what I had asked for in the beginning. Plus, she wants me to do transcription work for her on a weekly basis, so I am really pleased.

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I have given you all positive reputation points for your posts.