How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Is there a charge for subdomains?

Default Is there a charge for subdomains?

Here is why I ask. Bluehost and Hostgator seem to be very popular hosting sites; that's what folks have been telling me, so I go to Bluehost to ask a few questions. I say... this is what I would like (and these are only examples). I would like a website...(example, let's say) Autos.com and then I would like a few subdomains (again only examples) Ford.autos.com and Chevy.autos.com? They say no problem we can host as many sites with subdomains for one monthly fee, but if you want to register with us there will be a fee for each subdomain. I thought I had seen out there some companies that you can register a domain with and have as many subdomains all for only one fee? Is this correct and if so who have you all used that are good? And is my assumption correct regarding the one fee for hosting as well with subdomains?

Note: I only plan on working on one site first, but since I am looking at aggregation sites I would like to register my subdomains and work on them later.

Thanks... geez so many questions for a newbie.

Elliot

There are a lot of questions. This forum will get you there, though.

Here's my take on subdomains...

It's cool to buy the package with unlimited subdomains. It's great to have the ability to play with lots of sites that hang off your primary domain name.

'Unlimited Subdomains' are based on your primary site's URL. You got that one already, so good for you. It took me a while to get that one.

When you create a new site (a site with a completely different URL otherwise known as a domain name), this site is still technically considered sub domain according to your host. However, they are totally different sites being they have a entirely separate domain names. A little confusing, I know.

All in all, it's good to have the free unlimited subdomain feature because (and this is just a couple examples as to why) you can create a bunch of sites and have the ability to create additional landing pages for products. You can create a landing page within your primary domain, but sometimes people like to keep the sales page separate. Different strokes for different folks.

But try not to get it twisted...when you buy a new domain name, it's really a subdomain registered under your primary account...which is typically tagged as your first website's domain name.

And if you're curious, each time you register a new domain name, you pay for that domain name. It ain't free.

Examples:

• You buy a hosting package and title your site's name: mysite.com
    • You decide to create a landing page separate from your site but tied to your site's domain. You title it : widgetsforsale.mysite.com
    • This is a free subdomain you tack onto your primary website's address.

Now, if you want to register a totally different site such as beachbody.com, you now have a completely different site because you're purchasing a new domain name. However, and I'm sure someone will correct me if my wording isn't exact, this site is a still subdomain in the eyes of your host because it's registered under your primary account which is in this example: mysite.com

Since I store my site's files in my publichtml directory, I can see all of my sites listed in my primary site's publichtml directory along with my free subdomains.

In other words, within my publichtml files my sites are either labeled with different URL's or id'd as my primary domain name prefixed with whatever I choose as the prefix.

Hope this helped you a little. I just felt like trying to tackle this question since you have't received a response yet.
    Last edited by clay; 02-28-2013 at 01:17 PM.
    I do what I do because I like to do it.

Clay:

Thanks, that helps. Only question... for you or anyone: in your opinion are there any companies that are better than others regarding registering a domain and in my case with multiple subdomains?

Thanks.

Elliot

...ehh, I really don't think it matters. I'll probably get dogpiled for that comment, but I don't think it's worth getting too involved with this one.

Hosting is pretty much Hosting unless you get a dedicated server.

Unless there is an absolute expert in here that knows the best hosting company ever, your general replies include: Hostgator, Bluehost and GoDaddy to name a few. There are a lot more, but I'm sure you can find a thread in here on Hosting. It's a popular topic.

The hangup here is, as a newb we have no other choice but to go ahead and buy and ask questions later. That's the learning process we all go through and I don't think anyone would argue against that.

Personally, I use the Baby Croc plan at Hostgator, but Tom next door might use Bluehost x-account because he saw a good review on it.

I think at the end of the day it makes sense to choose your hosting by the light of how much room do you have to grow. That's just the business side of me that believes you get what you pay for.

On top of that, if you go with an unlimited domain package such as the croc plan I use, it's really not that much more.

Maybe something in there helped. Who knows. Good luck and remember to have fun with it.
    I do what I do because I like to do it.

As far as I know, hostgator offers unlimited subdomains.

Say your domain name is vehicles.com. In the hostgator control panel you can add subdomains for this domain. This is free. You could, for example add blog.vehicles.com.

You can demo hostgators control panel on their website.
    Well hello there...

Some of your questions relate to both "registering a domain name" and "hosting". They are two distinctly different actions and don't relate to each other so don't confuse yourself.

Many people advise you should not use the same business for both domain registration and hosting but use separate entities.

Using sub-domains depend on the allowance by the hosting company and nothing to do with domain name registration.
    Fast PLR :Quality PLR : Turn It Around In No Time
    Graphics Choice :Templates, Graphics, Minisites & More
    MRR Store :A Turnkey Online Business With Every Product
    GottaHaveSoftware :You Need It? We've Got It.

For unlimited sub-domains simply by a hosting package that offers that. Some hosts offer unlimited sub-domains at all hosting package levels, others charge a fee when you purchase a cheaper package. Host Gator comes to mind for unlimited sub domains.
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.