Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: HTACCESS permissions

Question HTACCESS permissions

I am creating an E-Commerce website as my 3rd project which is going to be hosted with JustHost.com and their subdomain file paths don't allow me to create folders outside of the public_html folder (e.g. default is /home/<username>/public_html/<folder> when I want /home/<username>/<folder>) which, theoretically, puts all of the subdomain folders inside the main domain folder and that puts me in a bit of a pickle. What i need is:

• exampledomain.com to be accessible by users
    • mobile.exampledomain.com to be accessible for mobile users
    • shared.exampledomain.com to be blocked for visitors and allowed for localhost only as it will contain shared code (e.g. login scripts, mail processes) for both the desktop version and mobile version

The only way i can think of achieving this is through the htaccess file which is where I hit a bollard as I don't have a lot of knowledge about htaccess files and only know the basics such as DocumentIndex, ErrorDocument and Redirect.

If I need to expand on this, don't hesitate to ask for more information as I really do need some serious help with htaccess permissions.

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome! Are you sure about that? For example my subdomain folders are located inside the domain folder but they are still acting as sub domains because I set it up that way on my host. For example "blog" is a folder inside my main domain but it's still setup blog.2createawebsite.com.

As far as blocking, I don't think you need to use htaccess. What you would do is use a robots.txt to tell the engines not to spider that entire subdomain and then host all your content in a folder no one would find. So your scripts would be on shared.exampledomain.com/unknownfolder Then no one would find it unless they knew the name.

One of the websites I built recently has the following folder setup:

• /home/<username>/pubilc_html for all the "desktop" website files
    • /home/<username>/mobile for all the "mobile" website files which is located outside the public_html folder

Using this type of folder structure makes it easier for me to organize the different type of sites (mobile/desktop) into their correct areas. However the web hosting company have their setup different to what I would prefer which I will have to accept but it comes with a problem.

I will be having files which contain login scripts and other shared scripts such as CSS & JS scripts in a shared folder within the public_html folder which is fine, but i want to be able to block all access to the shared from the outside world, plus I only want the mobile website only accessible from mobile.exampledomain.com and not exampledomain.com/mobile this might make it easier to explain.

Shared scripts folder:
    I only want the web server (i.e localhost) to access shared.exampledomain.com block access to every incoming connection (i.e visitor). for example (the only way I know how)

IF localhost THEN
    allow access to shared.exampledomain.com
    ELSE
    deny access to shared.exampledomain.com
    END IF

Mobile Website
    Slightly different from the shared scripts. I only want the mobile version of the website accessible from mobile.exampledomain.com and not exampledomain.com/mobile because of URL lengths. For example

BLOCK ACCESS to exampledomain.com/mobile
    ALLOW ACCESS to mobile.exampledomain.com

I am hoping this is easier explanation