Thread: GOOD webhosts similar to SBI

Default GOOD webhosts similar to SBI

Hi

I have one website with SBI but as I am on disability with money budgeted I cannot justify or afford a further $300 per year investment (at least today).
    I like the building block system of SBI and so I would like to start another smaller website with another company that is similar to SBI in most ways & especially as far as building and general & simplicity of using/editing a website is concerned.

If any of you out there know of any other web host that is similar to SBI but a lot cheaper (preferably $40-$60 per year) I would love to know.

Thanks a lot Craig

I am not familar with SBI, or why it is so expensive, but I presume it enables you to build your site on-lne. My web hosting cost less than $5 month. Why not just use that and build the site with WordPress?

If you want a drag and drop interface, I would go for Yola. From what I can gather, it is very similar to SBI and has many features. Some of the server side/webmaster features are a little thin (you cannot control the robots.txt files) but it is otherwise very good. Yola Silver is packed with parent templates which I hack to pieces to really customise them.

I've been using Yola for experimental sites where I want to test ad positioning and moving all the elements around is so quick and easy. You can buy your domains from GoDaddy or 123 and map them to Yola painlessly.

I will be upgrading to Yola Gold at some point in the future and I believe that is still cheaper than SBI and I am guessing superior value.

Site Build It is not a web host, though they do host your site and there is no cheaper priced competitor.

You can keep your website as is with SBI as far as I know and simply move it to a more affordable host (but you will lose access to all the SBI tools).

If you're wanting something as cheap as $40 per year that's pretty much impossible. The lowest costing shared hosting plans are usually around 5-7 dollars a month ($70 a year or so).

The building features of SBI can be found in numerous WordPress themes.

-----------

Your real problem is moving your website.

Here's a link to help guide you:

http://www.susanhuckle.com/8-steps-t...site-from-sbi/
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.

You don't need SBI, you just need to learn a lot. Start with reading up on marketing a website, then learn wordpress, or, if you are in for some more learning, start with joomla. It takes a while, but anyone can do it.
    I use joomla and 1.50 a month hosting. That is a lot less than 300

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    You don't need SBI, you just need to learn a lot. Start with reading up on marketing a website, then learn wordpress, or, if you are in for some more learning, start with joomla. It takes a while, but anyone can do it.
    I use joomla and 1.50 a month hosting. That is a lot less than 300
    Is that more usefull than SBI forums?

Sorry I'm blond, But what is (more useful)?
    The point I was trying to make is, that with SBI you are stuck with their system. Joomla and wordpress are free. Once you learn how to use them, you can make a gazzilion sites, all for free, With cheap hosting of course, never start a site on a free server. They can delete it at anytime they want.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOBAHCAN View Post
    Hi

I have one website with SBI but as I am on disability with money budgeted I cannot justify or afford a further $300 per year investment (at least today).
    I like the building block system of SBI and so I would like to start another smaller website with another company that is similar to SBI in most ways & especially as far as building and general & simplicity of using/editing a website is concerned.

If any of you out there know of any other web host that is similar to SBI but a lot cheaper (preferably $40-$60 per year) I would love to know.

Thanks a lot Craig
    SBI is out of date anyway. I'd recommend SquareSpace, and it starts from about $8/mo. Also, I can help you set up your website if you would like to use a regular host (which is a lot cheaper!).

Hi, Just this week I transferred my domain from sbi due to the same price issue. I still think sbi is a great product though. However I think your site is great. You are not monetizing well because you seem to be relying a lot on Google adsense. I believe that even if if you were able to move your site you would still have the same issues.

You probably need to do more offline promoting. For example restaurants and hotels in British columbia etc.

Hello Darren and everybody,
    Thanks for the information. I am also short in budget as Scobahcan, so I look for a system that can help me with my web page management and design.

If you really need a web builder, go for Yola. But if your site gets really popular you may be reluctant to move it in the future in case your SEO efforts take a dive as a result of forfeiting site architecture. I advise learning WordPress and making it your long term goal. I hate to sound like a broken record and it's really in your best interest to OWN everything when it comes to having a popular site. You really want to keep your eggs out of other people's baskets, and online CMS builders are exactly that.

Get your own domain from a registrar, get your own host, get your own templates. themes, software etc.

If you really must use a site builder, by all means do it but for future websites you build and monetise consider building them yourself.

Good evening Lisa and others,

I am having a hard time to understand the new world online. There are a lot of thing to learn and sometimes, I feel overloaded.

I already created my webpage and I used the HTML kit to program it. I am not a programmer but due to my financial situation, I decided to learn by myself. I already pay $12 every year to godaddy.com to have my web page in internet and my concern is that my traffic is very very slow and also I am not sure about my html codes.

When I said that I want to use YOLA, it is because I want to improve my web page, in other words, I don't really know what is better for me now. what I know is that I don't want a free website.

Lisa, I already saw some of your videos and bought your book, so I am learning a lot of. What I said before, I am new in this and I want to understand how can I have success in my business online.

I have many questions but first could you please help me with my web page that I already have it?
    You know when I programmed my web page, sometimes I didn't know what I did but it worked.

Thanks,
    rosmargari

Quote Originally Posted by rosmargari View Post
    Good evening Lisa and others,

I am having a hard time to understand the new world online. There are a lot of thing to learn and sometimes, I feel overloaded.

I already created my webpage and I used the HTML kit to program it. I am not a programmer but due to my financial situation, I decided to learn by myself. I already pay $12 every year to godaddy.com to have my web page in internet and my concern is that my traffic is very very slow and also I am not sure about my html codes.

When I said that I want to use YOLA, it is because I want to improve my web page, in other words, I don't really know what is better for me now. what I know is that I don't want a free website.

Lisa, I already saw some of your videos and bought your book, so I am learning a lot of. What I said before, I am new in this and I want to understand how can I have success in my business online.

I have many questions but first could you please help me with my web page that I already have it?
    You know when I programmed my web page, sometimes I didn't know what I did but it worked.

Thanks,
    rosmargari
    Success is more about getting people to your site than the host that you use. You could use SBI! or WordPress but if you don't learn to market it, then you won't have success.

If you want to have complete flexibility with your site then go with WordPress. There are tons of tutorials online that will help you learn the program. You'll be amazed at what you can learn on YouTube. SBI! will give you more of the training in one place but their templates are not as good.

So it's really up to you. What are you most comfortable with now that you know the pros and cons?

Start with finding blogs related to the same niche and make useful comments on them. Do the same with Forums in your niche. When people see useful infomation they will click through to your site, the link to which you would have placed in the comments and in your signature in Forums. Check Forum rules pertaining to signatures and don't insert your link as soon as soon as you join.

Make videos where you are speaking about your topic or put up a presentation and upload them to Youtube. Use Facebook and Twitter to interact and draw people to your site.

Whether it is SBI, Yola or your own hosted website, if you do some of the action steps above you will get a boatload of traffic. It does take time though and the harder you work on it the faster will be the results.

Hope this helps.