Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: A question: What exactly is Search Engine Optimization and how does it work?

Default A question: What exactly is Search Engine Optimization and how does it work?

Hello. I know there are posts in a later section on SEO, but for a newbie it wasn't making much sense? Let's say I have just finished my website (haven't started yet, gathering information) and I want to obviously have people find and view the site. I know this is basic, but what would i do next... how do I get the search engines to find me? Is there a tutorial on this that I might view somewhere or can some of the really smart people on here explain this in simple terms?

As always, thanks for the information in advance.

Elliot

I think the best seo is to keep on adding content to your site. So in fact you won't be at a stage where you have finished your site. This is the best seo you can do. If you're new, then please don't fall for all the terms and stuff to know. Just keep on publishing content on your site regularly.
    One thing you can do is install google analytics (google it) on your site so you'll be able to see what people typed in search engines to find your site, then simply use this information to write even more about those topics while continuing to add other content on your site's topic.
    Think about what you'd like to find on a website about your topic if you were a visitor and not knowing as much as you do about the topic.
    Please don't click and register right now because the thing is broken.

Want traffic? Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 250,000+ UV / Month

Hey Elliot,

Make sure you also create an account with Google Webmaster Tools and verify your site according to the instructions. The spiders will eventually crawl and index your site once you begin building, getting links, etc. You should also create a sitemap, which is an XML file that includes a list of pages on your site. But having a Google Webmaster Tools account will also alert you of any site issues along the way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    But having a Google Webmaster Tools account will also alert you of any site issues along the way as well.
    Is this how you were alerted when your blog was hacked? I need to familiarise myself with their alerts system for such issues.

Hi Elliot, along with all the other replies, I would say that for a newbie, focus on the basics first: Title and Content (for blog and page posts). What I mean by that is choose a descriptive title (one that others would probably search for), and write great content with relative keywords.

Example:
    Let's say you were going to write about Google Glasses.
    Bad title example: "Discovering a new way to use glasses"
    Good / Okay title example: "Google Glasses and Discovering the Future"

Use keywords in your content! If you want people to find your article on Google Glasses, your keywords may be "Google Glasses, project glass, first video of Google Glasses, image recognition, future design"

I just made those up on the spot, but my main point is write for a target audience and use keywords (as opposed to random talk).

Thank you... all information is very useful and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
    Hello. I know there are posts in a later section on SEO, but for a newbie it wasn't making much sense? Let's say I have just finished my website (haven't started yet, gathering information) and I want to obviously have people find and view the site. I know this is basic, but what would i do next... how do I get the search engines to find me? Is there a tutorial on this that I might view somewhere or can some of the really smart people on here explain this in simple terms?

As always, thanks for the information in advance.

Elliot
    No one seemed to really answer your question. OK Elliot, what is a search engine exactly? Let's start there.

A search engine is simply a website that indexes other websites based on content. When someone uses a search engine to find information, the search engine tries to provide the best most relevant results to that end user.

So if I search for "granny smith apples", a BAD result would be apple computers. A good result would be a wikipeida page about granny smith apples.

People use search engines like Google because they work, really well.

SEO is simply optimizing your website so a search engine spider (yes spider, it's just a term for when a search engine robot visits your website) knows what your website is about and can index it correctly.

That's it. Thats all SEO really is.

Now people who have websites want to be found in the search engines for relevant phrases. To rank for relevant phrases requires having keywords and phrases people actually type in a search engine found in your content header, the website itself. Having links from other websites etc.

SEO is a huge industry, and I could write a book on it, but one of the best sites to start learning in more detail about SEO is quicksprout.com.

Hope that helps clarify what SEO is.
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.