Thread: Security Website + Regular Newsletter

Default Security Website + Regular Newsletter

Hello Website Babble Members,

Just decided to earlier in the day to join the WebsiteBabble forums, and I have a question which I hope you can provide feedback on!

In the past, I have ran websites related to topics from gaming to technology, however, I want to start on a new project which I have an ambition for.

I am thinking of setting up a website related to computer security, aimed specifically at typical computer users. It would be simple to understand, going over the basics of computer security etc, along with showing the myths which are often spread around regarding malware.

To coincide with this, I'd like to create some sort of email newsletter, possibly weekly or monthly, which would contain content featured on the site, along with some other random pieces of information.

So, just wondering, what do you think of my proposal? Feel free to provide your feedback, I'd love to hear it!
    Last edited by Olly; 02-06-2013 at 01:51 PM.

I think that's a great idea. Make sure there is demand for the subject but not too much competition, and of course make sure you can monetize it.

Are you thinking of making it a content site, or a blog?

If you found this helpful, I would appreciate it if you could please take the time to give some feedback on my WordPress plugin idea: http://www.websitebabble.com/ideas-t...ss-plugin.html
    Last edited by carlo; 02-04-2013 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I think that's a great idea. Make sure there is demand for the subject but not too much competition, and of course make sure you can monetize it.

Are you thinking of making it a content site, or a blog?
    I am thinking of making it more of a static website, but using a content style-esque WordPress theme.

Thank you for your feedback, and I've just taken a look at your WordPress plugin idea. Looks great!

I like your idea.

A couple of things, for most average users computer security is not something they understand or care to understand. They just want things to work. Virus, malware, trojans...whatever, just make my computer work!

It's one of those things that people only worry about after something goes wrong. Not before.

So I would try and go at it from that angle. Also, making it into an email newsletter, is a fantastic idea. I personally would love to get that kind of information, on a monthly basis sent directly to my email. Just don't dumb it down too much.
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidIsMyName View Post
    I like your idea.

A couple of things, for most average users computer security is not something they understand or care to understand. They just want things to work. Virus, malware, trojans...whatever, just make my computer work!

It's one of those things that people only worry about after something goes wrong. Not before.

So I would try and go at it from that angle. Also, making it into an email newsletter, is a fantastic idea. I personally would love to get that kind of information, on a monthly basis sent directly to my email. Just don't dumb it down too much.
    Thank you for your feedback!

I'm thinking of splitting it into difficulties, such as beginner, intermediate and advanced, and have pages dedicated towards each difficulty.

I am also going to recommend good and affordable internet security software (some of the most effective solutions are free!), for all the major operating systems, which I believe average computer users want to know before purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    I'm thinking of splitting it into difficulties, such as beginner, intermediate and advanced, and have pages dedicated towards each difficulty.
    Here's an idea I just thought of quickly. You could write a 'security for dummies' guide for those who don't want to know the details, and sell it as an e-book. That way, all the content will be freely available, so your customers will feel like they're getting good value, but they can always choose to buy the 'quick step-by-step practical guide' if they would rather do that.

Don't know if it would work, but it's just an idea I thought of.
    Last edited by carlo; 02-04-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Here's an idea I just thought of quickly. You could write a 'security for dummies' guide for those who don't want to know the details, and sell it as an e-book. That way, all the content will be freely available, so your customers will feel like they're getting good value, but they can always choose to buy the 'quick step-by-step practical guide' if they would rather do that.

Don't know if it would work, but it's just an idea I thought of.
    Sounds like a great idea to me!

I've always considered writing an eBook, but have never found a time appropriate to do os. But with my security website, an eBook would go "hand-in-hand"!

Thank you for your suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Hello Website Babble Members,

Just decided to earlier in the day to join the WebsiteBabble forums, and I have a question which I hope you can provide feedback on!

In the past, I have ran websites related to topics from gaming to technology, however, I want to start on a new project which I have an ambition for.

I am thinking of setting up a website related to computer security, aimed specifically at typical computer users. It would be simple to understand, going over the basics of computer security etc, along with showing the myths which are often spread around regarding malware.

To co-inside with this, I'd like to create some sort of email newsletter, possibly weekly or monthly, which would contain content featured on the site, along with some other random pieces of information.

So, just wondering, what do you think of my proposal? Feel free to provide your feedback, I'd love to hear it!
    I think you have a great idea. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by graphicblueprint View Post
    I think you have a great idea. Go for it!
    Thank you for your feedback!