Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Web Design Courses

Question Web Design Courses

Hello,

Has anyone participated in an online web courses such Learn Web Development? It's run by Conrad Feagin. Supposedly, it is a platform that helps people develop an web design business online. I am just curious to see if anyone has participated in this program

What about Lynda or Treehouse?

I would love to hear of any successes you have had in the programs.

Thanks!

Brandon

I have never taken any courses but I am also curious if anyone else here has taken them and did they like it? or get anything out of it?

I subscribed to Lynda for a short while to learn Dreamweaver. It was great! Love the video tutorials.

Lynda is very good. They teach a wide variety of courses like all the Office stuff, Adobe programs, etc.

If you want Web Design directly an excellent place to go is KillerSites.com by Stefan Mischook. He charges a little less than $10 a month now and has hundreds of video tutorials. He teaches coding and programming from the ground up. This training is designed for serious professionals who want thorough training in the real skills of the trade. It is not entertainment and does not try to sell anything other than provide practical website building programs so it is a little different than most other sites. It is more like taking college classes. If you do want serious training this is the place to go.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by graphicblueprint View Post
    Hello,
    What about Lynda or Treehouse?
    I have no experience with Lynda but Treehouse is great. I won a free subscription and the videos are really engaging and informative. I'm also an affiliate for them.

There are courses on:

* HTML and CSS
    * WordPress
    * Web development (PHP, JavaScript and Ruby on Rails)
    * Photoshop
    * Responsive web design
    * Aesthetics
    * Web design accessibility
    * How to start and market your business

And I'm sure there's a lot more I forgot to mention.

You learn through practical projects, where you can build a website like this.

There's also a forum, and you can submit your project to be publicly critiqued by the expert teachers. Very good quality content there, highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    I subscribed to Lynda for a short while to learn Dreamweaver. It was great! Love the video tutorials.
    Thanks Lisa. I have heard good things about Lynda. They are definitely on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Lynda is very good. They teach a wide variety of courses like all the Office stuff, Adobe programs, etc.

If you want Web Design directly an excellent place to go is KillerSites.com by Stefan Mischook. He charges a little less than $10 a month now and has hundreds of video tutorials. He teaches coding and programming from the ground up. This training is designed for serious professionals who want thorough training in the real skills of the trade. It is not entertainment and does not try to sell anything other than provide practical website building programs so it is a little different than most other sites. It is more like taking college classes. If you do want serious training this is the place to go.
    Wow! Thank you James. Killer Sites appears to be the real deal. I would like to consider myself a serious professional. I think web design is the service that most people want nowadays. I didn't see anything for WordPress though. Do you know if they offer training on WordPress?

*EDIT* James, I was able to see that they have a KillerPHP site. Please disregard my previous question.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I have no experience with Lynda but Treehouse is great. I won a free subscription and the videos are really engaging and informative. I'm also an affiliate for them.

There are courses on:

* HTML and CSS
    * WordPress
    * Web development (PHP, JavaScript and Ruby on Rails)
    * Photoshop
    * Responsive web design
    * Aesthetics
    * Web design accessibility
    * How to start and market your business

And I'm sure there's a lot more I forgot to mention.

You learn through practical projects, where you can build a website like this.

There's also a forum, and you can submit your project to be publicly critiqued by the expert teachers. Very good quality content there, highly recommended.
    Thanks Charles! This is very encouraging. I really want to dig into WordPress development. The program that I am apart of now gives the basics as far as installing WordPress (setting up pages/posts, installing plugins, back-up, blocking SPAM etc.). I am looking for more courses/programs that show me how to customize themes. If I could, I think I would like to learn how to build WordPress sites from the ground up.

Treehouse's videos seem to be very engaging. I can read books and follow steps, but its something about actually seeing the process that helps me out.
    Last edited by graphicblueprint; 02-07-2013 at 09:22 AM.

I would recommend Lynda.com I've learned lots from them, they have courses on just about anything the instructors are excellent and easy to follow. Also they have a good list of courses on WordPress.

If your looking for free I would recommend http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php they have a great list of tutorials for beginner programming but don't think there's anything on WordPress

You was talking about wanting to start building custom themes ..... Chris Coyier did a course with lynda.com think it was called building custom themes with WordPress or something like that also Chris Coyier and Jeff Starr have a great site http://digwp.com/ which has lots of tips and tricks for WordPress development I also think they have a blank theme for building custom themes. I use the H5 theme to start off any custom theme I build.

What I'm interested in is learning how to customize the admin area, creating custom meta boxes and how to use them. Any one have some sites to share?

Any how Good Luck in your theme building
    Last edited by Jeff H; 02-08-2013 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    I would recommend Lynda.com I've learned lots from them, they have courses on just about anything the instructors are excellent and easy to follow. Also they have a good list of courses on WordPress.

If your looking for free I would recommend http://thenewboston.org/tutorials.php they have a great list of tutorials for beginner programming but don't think there's anything on WordPress

You was talking about wanting to start building custom themes ..... Chris Coyier did a course with lynda.com think it was called building custom themes with WordPress or something like that also Chris Coyier and Jeff Starr have a great site http://digwp.com/ which has lots of tips and tricks for WordPress development I also think they have a blank theme for building custom themes. I use the H5 theme to start off any custom theme I build.

What I'm interested in is learning how to customize the admin area, creating custom meta boxes and how to use them. Any one have some sites to share?

Any how Good Luck in your theme building
    Thank you Jeff! Lynda.com seems to have a great reputation.

All the Lynda and Treehouse followers are right. they are very good and their tutorials are easily understandable. I have learn WordPress development from Lynda and it must say it is quit easy tutorials that every person can easily understand it.

Please check Web Design Courses / Tips Video in Youtube. here you can find best web design idea.
    No Deposits, Call Us Today! 305 434 4698 , Hire Professional Website Developer / and affordable WordPress Designer

ya of course go to YouTube and watch the video of any tutorial about anything you want to learn

HTML and CSS is the Best course to Learn web Design and Development.

Web design | Graphic web Design

I have personally seen most of the lynda.com videos but they were not related to web designing, rather using softwares like photoshop, they have an amazing collection of professional videos you should give it a try first see the sample videos and if you like it then you can buy them as of treehouse it has good tutorials collection as well. But I have never used them personally.

Lynda.com is the best website for learning web Development for beginners.

Lynda is the best. The way they teach is very simple and easy to grasp for the beginners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast