Thread: Breaking Up Content vs. Having a Long Page of Content. Help Please?

Default Breaking Up Content vs. Having a Long Page of Content. Help Please?

First, I would like to apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section. I'm not quite sure where this would go.

I'm currently creating a page for my website and the page is going to be about 1500 - 2000 words. Despite me breaking up the content in paragraphs and relevant categories, I'm worried that this page might be too long and I might lose the attention of my visitors. I was thinking that it would be wise to break up my page sections into totally different pages.

HOWEVER, if I do this the content will be only 200-300 words long. I heard somewhere (I can't remember where exactly) that Google is very reluctant about indexing pages with less than 400 words.

So...I don't know what I should do about this. Any suggestions?

[Moved to Content Corner]

Perhaps you can break it up into 2-3 pages of 600 words or so. Don't let the info about Google scare you too much. I think they look at the bigger picture. Obviously some pages just don't need to be that long so I don't know if they are just not going to index a page because it's too short.

Now, if you have a site with a bunch of pages with 200 words and this appeared to be a pattern, that's one thing, but if you feel it's best to break up an article here or there, I wouldn't worry about the SEO aspect of it.

Just my 2 cents.

Okay. I did further research and the current trend now, at least from what I've gathered, is that Google is ranking pages that are filled with quality content, AND a reader is more likely to read a long page than to click the "next" button to access all the content. I think I might just keep my content for now and see what happens. Thanks for the advice, though!

Personally, very long articles make me click away, unless I reallllllly want to read on. About google, I have short news messages on my site, they always get indexed.

I ended up breaking it apart because the content felt unrelated. Thanks for the tip though!

I had an short essay which was running nearly 5000 words, so I turned it into ten sections and rewrote each part as a 10 part article to be published over a period of a few months.

If you're going to do something really long, think about offering it as a PDF white paper or something. Google Docs allows you upload a multitude of office documents to their free service so that is one option.

1,500 to 2,000 words isn't too long. But you can break them like this:

http://pointblankseo.com/link-building-strategies

The author made the content with clickable titles and a drop down navigation for every post.
    SSIS - High Quality Tools in the Philippines Tel. No.: (+632) 8267295 l Buenavista - House and Lot for Sale in Pampanga Tel No.: (632) 244-2550 l Zenutrients - Hair and Skin Care Products Philippines

If you want to clean up your page a bit you could always make your content collapable. Meaning they click an arrow or whatever to reveal what you have written. There are WordPress plug-ins that do this for you as the Java script to do this is a bit complicated.

You can break up the content in different pages, each containing 400-500 words.. this would also add more no. of pages to your website which is always beneficial for seo...
    No Deposits, Call Us Today! 305 434 4698 , Hire Professional Website Developer / and affordable WordPress Designer

yes sure you can break up .. that is good idea ..

what you should do is create new url for every breaked content related to keyword .. than add images and media also in breaked content so quality keeps maintain even on 200 to 300 keywords .. apart of that you can also add some more keywords and keep length of your keyword more powerfull ..

On my site we have some pages that are shorter at around 600 words and some that are certainly longer at around 1500 or more words to. At first I was also a little cautious about the longer pages, but they now bring in as many or even more vistors to the site then the other two thirds of pages of 600words
    Looking for Success?: www.OneLifeSuccess.net
    "Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life"
    ~Steve Jobs~

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    First, I would like to apologize if I'm posting in the wrong section. I'm not quite sure where this would go.

I'm currently creating a page for my website and the page is going to be about 1500 - 2000 words. Despite me breaking up the content in paragraphs and relevant categories, I'm worried that this page might be too long and I might lose the attention of my visitors. I was thinking that it would be wise to break up my page sections into totally different pages.

HOWEVER, if I do this the content will be only 200-300 words long. I heard somewhere (I can't remember where exactly) that Google is very reluctant about indexing pages with less than 400 words.

Hi Jay,

I think that it really depends on what you're trying to achieve. Breaking up the content would be perfect for getting more pageviews on your site. However, keeping the content longer could work well for lowering your bounce rate. I personally don't give much thought to Google. I go off of what my audience wants and deliver information to them the way that prefer it.

I run a traffic generation blog and in my experience, my audience seems to enjoy the longer posts as opposed to the shorter post and I always get way more comments and social shares on my longer posts.

I remember a while ago I thought that the long pieces of content might be too much for my readers to consume so I went in search of a way to break the content up; however, after some frustration as a result of trying to figure the best way to go about doing that, I gave up and just stuck with what I knew and it's worked out rather well for me.

A bit of general advice: I would suggest that you cater your content directly to your audience and what they seem to prefer rather than what you think Google wants. After all, you are creating your content for human begins to consume, not only for the Google bots. Your audience will thank you for it and Google will reward you anyway as a result of your audience's response.

Ti
    Last edited by tiroberts; 07-18-2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Need More Traffic To Your Blog Or Website? HIRE ME TO SEND IT!!
    My Latest Blog Post: How to Invest $0 Into Your Blog & Still Generate $2k+ Per Month