How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you make a logo? What software to use?

Default How do you make a logo? What software to use?

Hi everybody,

I'm looking into starting a small homemade cookie business. I already know exactly what I want my logo to look like, but I'm not sure how to get it from paper to the computer screen. I already have someone to draw it for me. The only thing I could think of would be to scan the image, but I'm sure the pros do it a different way. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

I used Adobe Photoshop for mine. Photoshop is very pricey, so if you're not looking at doing a lot of photo editing/designing, it's probably not worth it. There are many similar programs that are free. I found a list of several at http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pix...eephotoedw.htm. I've personally used GIMP and Paint.net many years ago, and didn't have a problem with either. Might be worth a try to download one and play around with it

I usually scan images and then build the logo around the image on screen using autoshapes and paths in Photoshop. Then I remove the original scanned image and am left with the logo.

You could always outsource this type of work to a designer who knows what they're doing, but if you expect to run your blog long term you're going to have to learn some basic graphics editing/creation skills so you might as well start learning now.

All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I usually scan images and then build the logo around the image on screen using autoshapes and paths in Photoshop. Then I remove the original scanned image and am left with the logo.

You could always outsource this type of work to a designer who knows what they're doing, but if you expect to run your blog long term you're going to have to learn some basic graphics editing/creation skills so you might as well start learning now.

All the best!
    Ok, so I can start with scanning the image. Thank you guys, this is a great help. I'm already very familiar with paint.net so I guess I can try that out first. I was under the impression that I had to use a specific logo maker software.

Any graphical editor would do. An alternate to Photoshop is the free software GIMP which you can download from http://www.gimp.org/

Neil
    Fast PLR :Quality PLR : Turn It Around In No Time
    Graphics Choice :Templates, Graphics, Minisites & More
    MRR Store :A Turnkey Online Business With Every Product
    GottaHaveSoftware :You Need It? We've Got It.

I wouldn't recommend using an artist if they don't know how to create the digital image. I'm not familiar with latest scanning technology but I don't think scanning your image is a good way to start. You want your logo to be high quality and digitally created.

I spent a bunch of money last year looking for good logo designers to design a logo for me and my clients who are looking for logos. There are many affordable ones that do poor work (I found 3-4 of them ). I've hooked up with some great designers that I now use for my clients. I'm convinced they offer one of the best values and highest quality for logo design based on the other designers I've tried.

It's all subjective when it comes to design so it's not always easy to get someone to create exactly what you want. You just have to look for a certain level of quality.

Good luck. Please share your logo when it's done.
    Last edited by WebEminence; 01-04-2013 at 10:52 AM.
    Read Your Website Statistics with AW Stats

I sort of agree that scanning may present a lower quality image and for a logo you want high res so you can use it for a variety of different things. I've also heard that GIMP is a very good cost friendly alternative to Photoshop. People here seem to love it.

Default Taking advantage of layers is a great tip!

Darren's suggestion has lots of potential!

For any of you who are not familiar yet with graphic programs, any of the good ones (I use Paint Shop Photo Pro) allow you to have what they call layers. Each one is separate so you can work on each without messing up the others. Also, you can turn them on and off as you work.

This means you can use your graphic program on a layer above the scanned image and virtually copy it with the shapes and fill you want, turning off the scanned image below to check you work when you want. You can zoom it up to a very large size and drag pieces around at will.

When done, as Darren says, you just remove the scanned image altogether. This has lots of potential for many uses besides logos. I think this is a great tip that I need to make greater use of.
    Good Success!

"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." —Maya Angelou

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Darren's suggestion has lots of potential!

For any of you who are not familiar yet with graphic programs, any of the good ones (I use Paint Shop Photo Pro) allow you to have what they call layers. Each one is separate so you can work on each without messing up the others. Also, you can turn them on and off as you work.

This means you can use your graphic program on a layer above the scanned image and virtually copy it with the shapes and fill you want, turning off the scanned image below to check you work when you want. You can zoom it up to a very large size and drag pieces around at will.

When done, as Darren says, you just remove the scanned image altogether. This has lots of potential for many uses besides logos. I think this is a great tip that I need to make greater use of.
    I used Adobe Photoshop for mine. Photoshop is very pricey, so if you're not looking at doing a lot of photo editing/designing, it's probably not worth it. There are many similar programs that are free.

I'll have to start with paint.net or maybe I'll download gimp and see how far I get with those options first. I don't want to use photoshop because of the price. After I get a logo in place, I can't think of any reason why I'll need to use it on a regular basis. I just need a logo for the website, and one that I can print on packages.

paint.net should suffice. It's a less bloated Photoshop that's free. Paths are the answer to a good logo.

Quote Originally Posted by West View Post
    I'll have to start with paint.net or maybe I'll download gimp and see how far I get with those options first. I don't want to use photoshop because of the price. After I get a logo in place, I can't think of any reason why I'll need to use it on a regular basis. I just need a logo for the website, and one that I can print on packages.
    The one tip I can give with regards to creating a logo - outside of recommending software - is to create a large, high-quality logo. When I created my logo for my blog I created one just large enough for my blog. Unfortunately, there were times when I needed to create larger versions, and found it a pain to create a quality logo that was enlarged.

Instead, start with a fairly large logo - possibly 1800px on one side. You can then use this logo as a primary copy that you can resize to make it smaller when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by TechieGuy View Post
    The one tip I can give with regards to creating a logo - outside of recommending software - is to create a large, high-quality logo. When I created my logo for my blog I created one just large enough for my blog. Unfortunately, there were times when I needed to create larger versions, and found it a pain to create a quality logo that was enlarged.

Instead, start with a fairly large logo - possibly 1800px on one side. You can then use this logo as a primary copy that you can resize to make it smaller when needed.
    Absolutely right. In fact, make it big enough for a t-shirt. You never know.

I use pixlr. It's on the cloud so no downloading to your computer. It has most of the basics of photoshop. There are some good YouTube tutorials on how to create a quality logo using Pixlr.

I agree about the large logo, you never know what you have to do with it. Also, use good graphics in your logo so a visitor can tell what your site is about by just looking at the logo.
    Last edited by Belle; 01-08-2013 at 12:31 AM.

you can use photoshop and also online free logo maker software also available ...
    and for graphics design software you can use for making logo..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast