How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Framework Royal Rumble! - Headway vs. Genesis vs. Thesis

Talking Framework Royal Rumble! - Headway vs. Genesis vs. Thesis

Hello!

I am noticing that several people are looking for websites more than other design services (ex. print design, logo design etc.). I want to learn WordPress web development. I am willing to take the time to learn it. I am more than willing to invest the time to do it right. I have looked into programs that will take you step-by-step to learn WordPress development. I have worked with WordPress for a few years now, but I don't feel as though that I know enough to built theme from scratch. I have looked into the the several frameworks. The ones that have interested me are Headway, Genesis and Thesis.

I guess I am looking for something that will allow me to focus more on designing than actually coding. That is one reason why I was drawn to Headway. It appears to have a good drag-and-drop feature. Anyone out there used Headway? Do you prefer that over Genesis and Thesis? I would love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance.

-Brandon

Hey Brandon!

I've heard a lot of good things about the Headway theme although I just got an email from someone last week who said v. 2.0 was better than 3.0. Nevertheless, it's on my list of themes to try. I've only used Genesis and Thesis and I like Genesis much better now that Thesis is on the 2.0 version.

Thanks Lisa!

I will be sure to look into Headway a little more. Did they happen to mention what they liked about Headway 3.0?

I honestly don't remember the specifics but it was something to the effect of 2.0 being more user friendly.

I read a great article by Nick the Geek the other day. When I started out a year ago I knew zilch about code. So this article was a breath of fresh air.

After reading the article I gained a new perspective on themes and web design. I discovered that development is changing and the tride and true methods of web design are slowly but surely evolving...for good reason.

If it means anything to you, I think the folks at StudioPress have a nice product. If you go that route I personally believe you should go ahead and snag all of them. That's what I did and I don't regret it a bit.

Not trying to get on a tangent, here, but that's my two cent.
    I do what I do because I like to do it.

Would I be able to use these themes for clients? Also, do the themes come with PSD files for the theme?

Quote Originally Posted by graphicblueprint View Post
    Would I be able to use these themes for clients? Also, do the themes come with PSD files for the theme?
    Yes. You can use them as much as you like. They're yours once you purchase them. Including the upcoming upgrades. Studio press has photoshop and png files as well. Can't say all have the same image features.Each theme is a little bit different. Note that you must purchase to get how to docs and forum support.
    Last edited by clay; 01-08-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    I do what I do because I like to do it.

Thanks! I will be sure to look into this.

Hi graphicblueprint ,

I don't really have experiences with other frameworks except for Genesis. As a non-developer person with only some basic WordPress coding skills, I'm finding Genesis quite easy to build on and customize.

At first I was only doing customization with CSS. And you can really go far with just that. But after I learned about "hooks", that opened new doors to even more complex customization. I feel that you can practically fashion a Genesis child theme anyway you like, once you get to know the framework better.