Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Put different ads on different pages on your sidebar

Default Put different ads on different pages on your sidebar

Hello,

I am using wordpress and have a blog with a static front page. Basically no matter where you go on my blog the sidebar looks exactly the same and has all of the links to different pages that I have put there.

What I am trying to figure out is how to put ads on the sidebars of different pages. I want different ads to be on different pages. I joined an affiliate program that is more specific to an article I am writing and I don't need their ads on my entire site. I just need them there for the article that is relevant to them. I also would like to do this for other posts as well as pages. Thank you for any help!

That's the one thing I don't like about WordPress compared to static sites. It's a little trickier but doable. You basically need to create another sidebar.php file and call it up. This site has some info http://wordpress.org/support/topic/h...for-some-pages

Quote Originally Posted by Seanguy75 View Post
    I joined an affiliate program that is more specific to an article I am writing and I don't need their ads on my entire site. I just need them there for the article that is relevant to them. I also would like to do this for other posts as well as pages. !
    That's my strategy as well. You want specific sidebars and that is possible.

I use Genesis and they have a plugin called Genesis Simple Sidebars. There are other plugins that are similar if you're not using Genesis, but that's an example of what you're looking for.

I'm going to find a similar post I created not too long ago and update this thread.

I can't remember the sidebar widget I used to use, but it was just as good as the one I use now.

Jordy's Sidebar Suggestion
    Last edited by clay; 12-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Thanks both of you for responding so quickly. I am using the thesis theme. Have you heard about anything that works for that?

Did you try the sidebars in the link I added? It's a good chance they will work. But yeah, I went with StudioPress and I know nothing of Thesis. Wish I could be a little more useful, Seanguy. I have to admit though, Thesis has some beautiful themes. Just checked out the Thesis home page.

Ahhh great tip, Clay! I completely forgot about Simple Sidebars!

Hey, I just wanted to get back to you here. This has been a great solution! I have took a bit of time this morning to figure out how to make this work and with a few bumps I have it up and going so far! Added my first unique sidebar and it looks great! I really appreciate you pointing this out to me! This is going to help me out quite a bit as I will have many different unique posts within my blog that will need different sidebar ads. As I am going to be mixing up adsense also with other forms of monetization this seriously helps. I appreciate you taking your time to point me in the right direction!

Good to hear, bruh. Keep kicking tail. It gets easier as it goes along. I'm about to crank out an ebook by the end of the month and I've been busy with the 9-5. Sorry bout the delay in response.

Have you gotten familiar with the PHP yet? That's the brain bender for me.

Take care, man-

I'm working on something like this right now for an ad rotator/click counter. What I plan to do is embed some JavaScript in the article that sets a variable to the type of ad I want to run for the content on that page. Then in the sidebar with a text widget, I'll add some more JavaScript to test to see how variable is set and run ads depending on the value of the variable. The code in both the article and the sidbar is rather trivial. The content JS sets a variable and the sidebar JS contains just an 'if' statement and a document.write statement depending on what the variable is set to.

-Lee