How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Niche Advise - How does this sound to you?

Default Niche Advise - How does this sound to you?

I've been thinking about blog topics for my own website.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for 10 years, and been traveling back and forth from Canada to the southern US for 11 years.

There are dozens of sites about travel, so that wouldn't make me stand out. The thing is, most of these sites deal with whats going on right now and nothing more. Meaning, current music, current events, etc. While my site would include those, my thought was to include more. Over the years, I've learned alot of fascinating stories about this area of the United States that most people aren't aware of.

From the old history, to the ghost stories and some of the drama, this could prove very interesting to people. And to talk about the experience of living here as a foreigner that moved to the area.

One of the things I've always loved the most about being in the hospitality industry is the ability to sell the area. Telling stories about the deep history and ghost/vampire/voodoo stories of the area, and making suggestions on where to eat and where to stay, things to do, giving tips on the best ways to get deals and explain how hotels and how the industry works. Unfortunately, In the last two jobs I've had here, I've been told not to do that because it takes so much time.

Do you think this would be a good idea for a website?
    Proxor LLC - We specialize in helping the hospitality industry and small businesses save money by providing needed services for less.

You have to stop for a minute and think about why you want to create that website on south us ?

If it's because you want to write, then fine, any topic you like will do.

If it's more about business then evaluate the business value of that topic.

Its about business. I want to be an affiliate to many of these travel sites.

One thing that I've noticed over the years is that people are absolutely fascinated when I tell these stories. I've had people actually ask if I would take them on tours through the city and area, but I can't due to damage done to my leg in a car accident in 2004. Even two hours standing/walking actually puts me in alot of pain. Unfortunately, I don't have my drivers license so that doesn't help either.

I have even had people leave gifts for me at the front desks of the hotels to say thank you for the suggestions I've made about where to go, what to do, and what to eat. I've had people rave about how helpful I have been to them, but it's always been over the phone due to my leg.

If I'm so good at this, my thought is to offer these things online. Places like Expedia, Orbitz, and the like would probably be willing to take part as affiliates since it would send business to them. Possibly even tour companies and the like.

But I also don't want to waste my time.
    Proxor LLC - We specialize in helping the hospitality industry and small businesses save money by providing needed services for less.

If you enjoy talking more than writing, you could then do videos and talking to the camera like if it was a person. Try to prepare in advance a few questions on a piece of paper that you put behind the camera, so that you can have some structure in your talking, like responding to a question.

That way your blog/site about travel will have a more unique approach. Once you have published a video you should embed it on your site along with a text describing what you're talking about, look at socialtriggers.com like the guy is doing, a little text and the core of the content of each post is in the video, you don't have to make a professional video like him, just the idea.

But still, are you sure that it is a good business decision, what travel product will you sell? Hotel booking with AGODA affiliation? Amazon books about the regions/stories? Things like that?

If you like what you do, then nearly anything can work for you since you're not a multinational company, even $2,000 per month would be enough to make you happy. But it will be a labor of love, lot of work and don't expect things to go viral, just slow and steady.

More like sparking interest for people to come to the area and hey if they click on this link here, it will take them to the place to book "this and that". That sort of thing. It would mean that I would affiliate with travel and tour companies, some of whom are big bookers in the area.

For example, many of the local tour companies give a bonus to the people that refer them. Just as an example, at the last hotel that I worked at, the front desk got $120 for one tour one week I was there. Usually, individual clerks can make anywhere from $10 - $300 a week (or more) as tips, just from the tour companies. And these tips are the type that are "off the books" (I realize that it wouldn't be off the books for me).

All of the major online web sites have affiliate programs, as well as some that you probably don't know anything about since they tend to be "behind the scenes" and you'd have to work in the industry to know they exist (though some people outside the industry might have a clue depending on their associations).

I'm not positive, but I'm willing to bet that local bars and clubs might have the same as well.

I could even refer books and the like from Amazon since they have an affiliate program.

So you're just going to be targeting the Southern US? I wonder if that is a bit too broad to start out with. Think about how people search for travel. They tend to search for info on specific cities I would presume. It sounds like you are trying to capitalize on searches like "Southern US travel" or more generic terms like that, but I wonder how often people search that way. Have you researched this?

The other thing to remember is since this is going to be a blog, really think hard about the structure of your site. Instead of just writing a bunch of posts, make sure you make use of static content to help guide people through the site. I've seen so many travel blogs with random articles and visitors can get lost in a sea of dated posts.

Not so much southern US as Louisiana. That's where I live, after all. More specifically, the New Orleans general area. I can't specifically target only New Orleans because that would leave alot out since the plantations are mostly outside of the city (with the exception of one small one not far from my house).
    Last edited by moiraesfate; 12-04-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Does anyone else have anything to say about the idea? I'd very much appreciate your thoughts on this.