How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Thread: Can I use the same Domain Name on two or 3 different Hosts?

Default Can I use the same Domain Name on two or 3 different Hosts?

I have a Domain name and a Host. I want to evaluate a different Host for my business. Can I use the same Domain name to evaluate other Hosts?

Thanks

No. You can only have the DNS of a registered domain name pointed to one host.
    Fast PLR :Quality PLR : Turn It Around In No Time
    Graphics Choice :Templates, Graphics, Minisites & More
    MRR Store :A Turnkey Online Business With Every Product
    GottaHaveSoftware :You Need It? We've Got It.

no i don't think so because the DNS can only point to one registered domain

You could sign up using the same domain name, however your site would only be accessible on the second host via IP. (unless you are setting up round-robin dns)
    Dedicated Server, VPS, and Cloud Servers
    PingPipe.com

Contrary to some of the responses in here, yes you can - there's 2 ways to do it that I know of:
    1) is load balancing (you basically have one main site that detects the user and sends them off to one of the hosts usually using a subdomain (e.g., example.com takes users to www1.example.com or www2.example.com which go to different hosts). It's tricky to set up and requires some knowledge of programming or dns management.

2) another option is when setting up your domain you can add multiple nameservers, which could include your different hosts (ns1.example.org ns2.someotherhost.com ns3.example.org ns4.someotherhost.com)

Not sure how it fully works, but sometimes your nameservers will resolve to the first host and sometimes it'll resolve to the second host.

You could also have what's called a CDN or a content distribution network.
    If your site is getting a lot of traffic, you can have, for example, images served on one server and the text could be served from another server so your site loads quicker.

Anyways, getting back to your original question, I'm not sure why you would want to do that anyway.

I want to evaluate a different Host for my business.
    What do you mean by that?
    My favorite automated twitter tool. Aff link. PM me for a screenshare demo if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy View Post
    If your site is getting a lot of traffic, you can have, for example, images served on one server and the text could be served from another server so your site loads quicker.

Anyways, getting back to your original question, I'm not sure why you would want to do that anyway.

He means he wants to evaluate the performance of a different host or hosts to see who provides the best service (compared to cost)
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by floridaguy View Post

He means he wants to evaluate the performance of a different host or hosts to see who provides the best service (compared to cost)
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.

If you're just doing this to test different hosting companies, I wouldn't do it with your primary business domain. Go to Namecheap, or one of the other low cost domain sellers, and buy a few domains you don't really care about to set up on each host.

I don't think you can do this.
    Last edited by Mr.John82; 06-15-2013 at 12:38 PM.
    eForumPosting.com
    Forum Posting Service with Quality and Afford Pricing
    Get quality content on your forum and make it look busy. We provide Unique and High Quality Forum Posting Service.

You can do this, but you'll need a special DNS server setup - you can setup load balancing so that your domain goes to both of your servers.

You'll of course need to be sure that you have the same data on both servers - if you're just running a static HTML site, that's easy, just upload your site to both.

But if you're running something dynamic, like a PHP server, then it gets more complicated (as the MySQL database will need to have proper replication).

If you know what you're doing and you meet either of the conditions above, I highly recommend dnsmadeeasy - they make it easy to setup load balancing for your domain across multiple servers.

If all you're doing is some testing, you could just setup a subdomain - say test.yourdomain.com, and have that point to your new server. That way you can evaluate your new service using that domain.