Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Favicon for Genesis framework

Default Favicon for Genesis framework

I've seen a lot of sites that use Genesis framework leaving the default favicon there, which is something you should use to your benefit and use a custom favicon! It makes your site stand out.

I don't like plugins nor playing with PHP code, so the easiest way to do it actually replace the original favicon in your theme files. You can do this by using FTP. I use Filezilla for this and here is how to use FTP http://www.2createawebsite.com/build/ftp.html

The original favicon in genesis is a .ico file and the size is 16x16 pixels.

You will find it in yourblog/wp-content/themes/genesis/images and simply replace that file with your favicon.ico 16x16 icon.

If you are using a child theme then the location will be yourblog/wp-content/themes/CHILD-THEME-NAME/images

This way you don't have to mess with plugins or code.

You will probably need to clear all caches on the blog and browser to see it.

Great share, Bran! I was on a site the other day and it was fairly popular and I was kind of surprised to see that G in the favicon slot. Goes to show a lot of people don't know how to change this.

Thank you so much, I was wondering if this would be a good enough tutorial for this part of the Forum. Yup, I see a lot of blogs with the famous G and that is about the first thing I wanted to change when I installed it, lol.

Still having a hard time with this one. Any suggestions?

I've created the favicon as a PNG. Does it have to be exactly 16X16px? My logo had to get knocked down to 14X14px.

It has to be 16x16. It also may take a day or two for it to show up. Try clearing your browser cache.

There are a bunch of online favicon.ico generators online that will convert any image size and format into an "ico" image you can use. Just do a Google search

Not sure how you update that image in Genesis. With Headway you simply plug-in the favicon image location and that's it.
    I'm a web desinger that can help you create a beautiful website.
    I''m also on TWITTER where I share helpful links and ideas.

There is a plugin but it would be just as easy to use FTP.

Go to themes, go into folder of the theme you are using, go into images folder and the favicon is in there. Just replace it.

Sorry for typos, sent from iPad

Thanks for this. I couldn't get mine to work, but I see it's because I didn't put it in the child theme's image folder!

Wow. I finally go it to work.

It feels a little strange replying to such an old conversation, but I had to. I tooled around with the favicon on and off for months. The sad thing is I can't remember the generator I used.

But thank you everyone who helped me with this.

Update:

* Create Favicon here - make it 16px X 16px
    * Delete your Genesis favicon (if you're using a StudioPress theme... if so, you'll delete the Black G ico file.
    * FTP your new Favicon you generated using the link above into your WordPress files. Place your favicon ico file in your theme's images folder.
    * Return to your browser and refresh.
    * Turn around time to see favicon appear has been instant for me.
    Last edited by clay; 10-04-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Wanted to refine it