Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: Would You Register a Domain With Hyphens in 2012?

Default Would You Register a Domain With Hyphens in 2012?

I know hyphens in the domain used to bring seo benefits years ago but today they are really no more than just a pain in the you-know-what when it comes to typing and remembering the name. However I came up with a name that I love. The non-hyphenated name is taken but the hyphenated name is not. I really love the name but am concerned about hyphens. So I was wondering. Would you ever use hyphens in your domain name today?

Quote Originally Posted by jeffG View Post
    I know hyphens in the domain used to bring seo benefits years ago but today they are really no more than just a pain in the you-know-what when it comes to typing and remembering the name. However I came up with a name that I love. The non-hyphenated name is taken but the hyphenated name is not. I really love the name but am concerned about hyphens. So I was wondering. Would you ever use hyphens in your domain name today?
    Absolutely! I had the same issue. I had a niche that was good but the "non-hyphenated" domain was taken. So I purchased the one with the dashes. Dashes or not, there are so many other SEO factors than just the domain. Besides, you still your keywords in your domain correct? I'd say go for it. I did and I'm starting to get a lot of activity on my site.
    Kevin Camon ~ Atlanta, Ga.
    Turkey Brine Recipes ~ The Best Brine Recipes for your Holiday Turkey!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Natural Disaster List ~ Get The Latest! Be In The Know! Be Prepared!

Hi Jeff,

Matt Cutts, the Google spokesman spoke about this in a video.

I Quote:
    One or two might be considered OK, 4, might be too much. End Quote.

As Kevin said, and I agree with, the site name is only a small part of the total SEO package. In Kevin's example turkey-brine-recipes, he might have found bestturkeybrine, or something similar.

His content is the main SEO draw card for his site, and his article and video titles will be what pull in a lot of traffic. The site name is just a bonus.

You can make small changes to a site name and still keep it in the big 3 (com, net, org). Say the words out loud and see if an associated add-on word pops up.

Content is King.

Hope it helps,
    Steve

I agree sometimes it just as good to have a hyphen. Look at it this way when you search the net or looking for a domian name how many are taken. Then how many are for sale for prices most people pay for a used car or a months worth of groceries. Soon it will be like telephone numbers there won't be any left and they will have to find a way to recycle them or have every other letter hyphened or come up with a new dot someting.
    I will never make money on my sites if I continue to procrastinate

How about ‘it depends’ answer. Your targeted audience is what should make the determination for you.

If your primary traffic is organic and the hyphen is simple great.

If you have to tell people your name such as, “My Domain hyphen Name” or worst spell it M Y D O M A I N (Hyphen, you know the thing the at looks like a minus sign) N A M E.” It is not a very good idea.
    Like Bill at Facebook and Twitter.

and now Bill's Blog.