Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: New Site Critique

Default New Site Critique

Hello,

My name is Kevin Camon. I've been a member of WB for quite some now but took a long hiatus away from affiliate marketing. Well, i'm back with determination to make this work. So, this is my first almost completed niche site and I would greatly appreciate any critiques, suggestions etc. The one thing that I seem to be struggling with is backlinks.
    Is there an easy way or method of getting backlinks successfully?

Please see link in my signature.

Thanks

Kevin
    Last edited by KevinCamon; 02-29-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    Kevin Camon ~ Atlanta, Ga.
    Turkey Brine Recipes ~ The Best Brine Recipes for your Holiday Turkey!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The Natural Disaster List ~ Get The Latest! Be In The Know! Be Prepared!

I see you use a (~Wikipedia~) entry under your Brine post. If some of the post content is from Wikipedia you should make the link hot. Wiki is a good link.

As for quality backlinks, I would suggest you go to receipt sites and enter your sites info in comments or even submit a receipt of your own. That would be a grade A backlink, and will produce more if your submitted info in copied to other sites.

Another way would be hunting sites or forums, they are always interested in a new way to cook turkeys and or brine wild game. The wild game aspect, you could expand your site information and recipes to cover other forms of brine pre-soaks and cooking methods.

But for a main (and high quality backlink) try the popular searchable recipes sites. Those sites get thousands of hits a day.

Your site looks good, just spread the word and you will get the traffic.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by esmconcepts View Post
    As for quality backlinks, I would suggest you go to receipt sites and enter your sites info in comments or even submit a receipt of your own. That would be a grade A backlink, and will produce more if your submitted info in copied to other sites.
    Steve,

Thanks for your response and critique on my site. I'm still a bit new with SEO terms so I need a little clarification on what you mean about the "reciept sites" quoted above.

Also, great idea with expanding my site with other cooking methods. I never thought of that. It wont directly be about the main topic of my site, but it will tie in together somehow.

Thanks again

I meant "recipe sites", bad spell checker = ME.

I was talking about sites like:
    http://allrecipes.com/
    http://www.food.com/
    http://www.epicurious.com/

And so on. You can setup free accounts to be able to post your recipe's and brine info. Then you can add links back to your site. You can also place comments on similar sites and get backlinks from them. This is where I thought hunting and fishing sites might provide a good backlink opportunity for your websites main topic and niche market.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCamon View Post
    Steve,

Also, great idea with expanding my site with other cooking methods. I never thought of that. It wont directly be about the main topic of my site, but it will tie in together somehow.
    I missed this part of your reply. I would setup separate categories to cover something like, fish, venison, fowl, ECT.

Your main draw card for Turkeys as a keyword could still be used, just make sure when you write a article about brine for deer roast and cooking recipes that it is keyword specific. The search engines will figure it out and the word turkey will not effect the search results.

I know of a lot of hunters who have family members that like their fish or venison meat to taste like something else. I don't but a brine can hide the so called wild taste. I think it will sell, and your Amazon links will still connect with other cooking methods.

Steve
    Last edited by esmconcepts; 02-29-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Steve,

What a mouthful!!! I knew there was a reason why I came back to WB !!! Beside's Lisa being such an awesome Affiliate Marketer, she has a forum with people that genuinely know what their talking about. That is very good wholesome advice and it's what I have been looking for. I've posted on a few other forums and I just couldn't get the feedback that I needed like what you gave me.

So with that, a BIG THANK YOU and a SHOUT OUT goes to you and this forum.

I'll be in touch and keep you posted.

Hey Kevin,

Good to see you back! Isn't Steve awesome? Always great to have quality members willing to contribute.

I noticed you had some videos from other sites, but have you ever thought of doing your own channel with cooking recipes? That way you can build another traffic stream back to your site. Don't forget, Google loves ranking its own content so you can also draw traffic by having your videos ranked in Google.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Hey Kevin,

Good to see you back! Isn't Steve awesome? Always great to have quality members willing to contribute.

I noticed you had some videos from other sites, but have you ever thought of doing your own channel with cooking recipes? That way you can build another traffic stream back to your site. Don't forget, Google loves ranking its own content so you can also draw traffic by having your videos ranked in Google.
    Yes, Steve is very knowledgable. Thanks again Steve.

As far as the videos Lisa, yes I've pondered the thought a few times but now my thoughts are "I'll be crazy NOT to". So yes, those videos are coming. Can only cook one BIG meal a day :-)

Now besides linking to your own videos in Youtube, is there another way to get your videos ranked?

Quote Originally Posted by DrewryMedia View Post
    glad you're here to stay, Kevin. We need people like you who are determined to succeed in affiliate marketing. What kind of affiliate programs are you promoting? :-)
    Drewry,

I'm very determined and I want to gain as much as I can from the other users here on WB that are willing to contribute. This thing works if you just work it. And that's the bottom line.

Right now, the only AP that I am promoting are the basic ones like Amazon affiliates, Google Adsense and a few others. I want to start getting into doing something with Clickbank real soon, I just need to figure out how to do it.

Also, I want to create a number of niche sites to expand my streams of income. My goal is to start a new site every 2 months. I started my first site on Feb 1st and i'm about 90% complete. Then I discovered that you are really never complete. There's always something you can do to make your site better. Nevertheless, I will keep going.

Thanks for the warm welcome

No not yet, I see your links so I will as soon as I get home. They don't allow us to use YOUTUBE here at work. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by KevinCamon View Post
    Now besides linking to your own videos in Youtube, is there another way to get your videos ranked?
    The #1 thing that causes YouTube videos to get ranked well is the number of likes, favorites and shares. So it has to start there. Embedding them in pages doesn't really help unless people continue to rate your video well while embedded -- which is possible.

The great thing about YouTube is that your videos can get ranked much easier than content because there's so much less competition out there. So you titles and descriptions have way more impact than meta tags on content. Gotta luv that!

Yes, my motivation to quit the traditional dreadful 9 - 5 is all but down. It's easy to waste 2 or 3 years thinking about being your own boss and not acting on it. I'm sure that Lisa went through this stage at one point. But she was a determined soul and wouldn't let the obstacles stop her. And i'm sure that she is glad she did what she did.

So in saying that, Any advice from Lisa or any others on here that has had some form of online success I will take it to heart. I will be setting my my youtube channel this weekend.

Thanks for the good advice.