How to Customize a WordPress Theme

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Forums For Backlinks

Default Using Forums For Backlinks

So, my site is finally coming around. I feel really confident about the information that my site has to offer. Now that I'm ready, one of the main ways to spread the word is by joining forums.

I was wondering if anyone had insight to finding forums that fall into specific niches? Also, what is the best approach to creating a trail on these forums? I pride myself in being genuine. I don't want to blatantly advertise on my post.

Lastly, when there are "no follows" on the site, are still other ways to create a backlink?

Thank you all for any advice on this subject.

Just Google the subject of your site plus forum, e.g. +"hamster juggling" +forum

That should find some to get you going.

Best approach? Just be a genuine member of their community - give good advice, ask genuine questions, contribute and build a good helpful reputation long before adding any links.

Also read the rules carefully at every forum before posting, especially regarding commercial messages or links.
    Mark Haigh
    õ Say Hello To Me On Facebook & Google+

Agree with Mark. I believe search engines are starting to devalue forum links when it comes to counting this as a "quality backlink." They probably still help moderately, but I think people who get the most out of forums are active members who genuinely help others. People are more likely to click the site in the signature and visit.

That often becomes more valuable than any potential backlink. I don't think anyone really knows how valuable forum backlinks are these days except the search engines themselves. But one thing we do know is that value sells. I know I am much more likely to visit a person's site if they consistently post helpful information and build up a solid forum reputation. I think that's how you get the best bang for your buck in a forum these days.

I would put money on the fact that people who get the most signature clicks here are the ones who actively contribute useful information as opposed to the ones who come and drop a bunch of useless "great, thanks!" posts just to display their signature. Backlinks are important, but I don't think anything trumps quality and a solid reputation.

Thanks for the feedback. I feel the same way about sharing knowledge and information in a forum. Building a solid reputation is important to me, because in my opinion networking online holds as much weight as offline. And I want to develop a great relationship both online and offline.

Now my goal is to find forums that fit into way niche. The most common forums that I come across mainly target webmasters.

Join forums not because you want to promote your website or for backlinks purposes... forums is not the very best place for that, unless you go with advertising forums. Generally, forums are for interacting with different people, sharing with ideas and giving valuable responses on threads.
    coming soon!

I have found that sometimes links from other forums can almost hurt your sites page rank. If you look deeply into the the actual statistics you will probably find that while yes, your traffic may spike after posting to a forum that is relevant to your niche, but what about all of the other factors. Usually you will find that there is a drop in pages per visit and duration on site with a huge spike in the bounce rate.

I have found that the best traffic generated by forum posts comes when someone else posts a link back to my site. Be as helpful and genuine as possible in your dealings with other forums and your credibility will grow along with your traffic.
    Scott, K2ZS
    My Amateur Radio Page about antenna restrictions and indoor amateur radio antennas
    TGCDesign Web Solutions - specializing in CodeIgniter and ExpressionEngine development
    Home automation ideas for todays smart home

Do you guys know how I can check how many sites needed to be added in order to get from page rank2 to 3?

My site is PR2, but I really do not know how many miles I have for 3

yes i agree with MARK.. he is right....

Forums are not only meant for backlinks.This is the way where we can share our ideas& views.Queries are also posted so that you are able to get best suggestions from all.I have learnt a lot using forums.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa View Post
    Agree with Mark. I believe search engines are starting to devalue forum links when it comes to counting this as a "quality backlink." They probably still help moderately, but I think people who get the most out of forums are active members who genuinely help others. People are more likely to click the site in the signature and visit.

That often becomes more valuable than any potential backlink. I don't think anyone really knows how valuable forum backlinks are these days except the search engines themselves. But one thing we do know is that value sells. I know I am much more likely to visit a person's site if they consistently post helpful information and build up a solid forum reputation. I think that's how you get the best bang for your buck in a forum these days.

I would put money on the fact that people who get the most signature clicks here are the ones who actively contribute useful information as opposed to the ones who come and drop a bunch of useless "great, thanks!" posts just to display their signature. Backlinks are important, but I don't think anything trumps quality and a solid reputation.
    Yes, I agree it's about TRUST at the end of the day too.
    Better to have a few quality posts instead of a bunch of garbage ones.
    Lisa, do you think you could actually get stats on clicks from signatures?

It would be interesting to see some data on # of signature clicks vs. the # reputation points of the user.
    Thoughts?

To All,

Forums where developed to provide a social gathering place for individuals to discuss a related topic. On this forum, the main topic would be (How to create a website) and the associated processes and marketing info that goes with it.

As it has been mentioned many times in this thread and others, poor quality post, used only as a means to get backlinks, is detrimental to the ranking of the forum and its genuine members.

Anyone who uses the search engines to get answers to their questions have likely come across answers that where developed in forums. These quality answers where found and indexed by Google and others because they offered quality. Not because they offered a bunch of backlinks.

As Lisa stated:
    I believe search engines are starting to devalue forum links when it comes to counting this as a "quality backlink.
    If the number of thread post only provide a repeat of the first few positive answer's, over and over again. Then the overall post and thread value of the forum become diluted. The overall ranking of the forum depreciates. Think before you post, are you going to offer value to the topic?

A low quality forum will not draw in new members; there is no useful info to keep them or persuade them to signup. Without fresh members asking reasonable questions concerning the main topic's of the forum, there will be a lack of members involved in giving quality answers back.

So if you think a short blurb for an answer is going to provide you a benefit as a backlink, think again. You are just eating away at the hard earned foundation of an excellent forum and its popularity that brought you here in the first place;

Quality!

Just my take on the subject, and I mean every dam word of it. (Sorry my Queen, for the D word!)

Steve
    Last edited by esmconcepts; 03-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.

forum posting still works great for backlinks. I personally have websites i have done nothing but build backlinks from my forum profiles and sigs that have attained top rankings.

the only downside would be the more links on a page means that each link is devalues a bit as the link juice gets spread between more links.

But you can also get powerful links in forums that could be worth hundreds. If someone writes an amazing thread that ranks top in google for popular searches and gets good PG rank, if you participate on that thread and add some content when you have a link in your sig - then you now have attained a potent & pretty valuable link.

It's still one of the best and easiest ways to build links while participating and sharing info. This being said the reason people are getting turned off from it is because of the "spam" stigma from such programs like xrumer which attacks online forums with comment spam.

Be genuine, share good content, and assist others when you can.
    Last edited by xMachineC0r3x; 03-15-2012 at 04:02 AM.

Yes, forum posting is a good way of racking up backlinks. Itís also a good way of creating content. That is, if you just participate for a while, answering some questions on a particular subject, youíll have the makings of a good long post before long. As long as you rewrite it quite a bit it will be unique. You can then post it to your blog for further SEO benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by drefficiency View Post
    Yes, I agree it's about TRUST at the end of the day too.
    Better to have a few quality posts instead of a bunch of garbage ones.
    Lisa, do you think you could actually get stats on clicks from signatures?

It would be interesting to see some data on # of signature clicks vs. the # reputation points of the user.
    Thoughts?
    I totally agree with this, Since Forums are knowledge developing center which aids through interaction between users.. Helping newbies with expertise available. This really delivers value to the world wide web. Most importantly, Trust as said by drefficiency.

I agree that TRUST is a major factor in any successful business venture, whether online or in a brick and mortar setting. When people see or hear from a person regularly in a forum, a podcast, or video, they begin to feel like they know that person. Regular participation in a forum creates its own community of people with whom you will identify. You may never physically shake hands with any of these online aquaintances, yet you feel you trust them sufficiently to do business with them. At that point, you feel you could go to any of the websites mentioned in the forum and safely conduct business. Getting over the major obstacle of enough trust to make that first purchase is paramount. Forums can certainly accomplish this far better than any random backlink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast