Crave: A modern WordPress theme with appetizing aesthetic

Thread: 728x90 vs 336x280 Adsense Unit - Which Perform Better For You?

Default 728x90 vs 336x280 Adsense Unit - Which Perform Better For You?

If you have Adsense on your site, which of the above two works better for you, for the first unit on your web page?

Referring to the first ad unit on my pages, I originally used 728x90. Later I switched to 336x280 when I read that that is the best performing unit.

After Google rolled out the new text format for 728x90 (the one with three rows of text rather than 3-4 separate units), I find that it performs even better than the 336x280.

The reason that the 728x90 is performing better on my pages compared to the 336x280, I believe, is that the readers have gotten used to having the big rectangle staring at them the moment they open a new page. The 728x90 seems to fit more seamlessly into the text.

I have also begun to wrap the 160x600 on the right side of the page. They can't match the 728x90 in terms of earnings, though.

Most of the clicks come from the top part of the page, so the last ad unit at the bottom is just to collect the crumbs.

How is it for your website?

720x90 performs better than 336x280, specially the new format of 720x90....I think, the 120x600 is better than 160x600 one

I've also done some similar changes, and the new 728x90 performs very well. It seems that top-to-bottom links is way better than the old side-by-side. One site has more than doubled its CTR after I made this change.

Tim, are you consistently using text links only, or have you tried using image/rich media as well to get more competing ads as G recommends?

Despite setting my ad units to show text links only, I have seen image ads appearing on my sites nonetheless. Not only that, I have also seen text ads with borders appearing, even though my ad units are set to appear without borders. Maybe the advertisers can override my settings?

I have even gotten an email from Adsense telling me the percentage of text vs image ads I have on my site. However, as my earnings have been continuing to increase, I am quite comfortable (for now) to have text ads being the main ads on my site.

The 336x280 and 300x250 have almost disappeared from my sites. It was a bold move, I must say, when I moved from 336x280 to 728x90, but I'm glad the results haven't disappointed me. Any changes takes a lot of work to implement, especially if I am doing it across all my websites. I have to spend a few hours just to do the changes on every site. For that reason, I am usually reluctant to fiddle with things, preferring to spend my time adding more pages.

Quote Originally Posted by tim-the-traveler View Post
    Despite setting my ad units to show text links only, I have seen image ads appearing on my sites nonetheless. Not only that, I have also seen text ads with borders appearing, even though my ad units are set to appear without borders. Maybe the advertisers can override my settings?
    Maybe an error on Adsense's part, or maybe a case of Google testing new ad versions as they've been known to do?

It is always a bold move to start testing new ad units, results may just as well get worse and not better, you just don't know. I usually use A/B testing if I want to measure the effectiveness of new ad units. If you haven't done so already, you might want to try it out. What you could do is make one ad unit for images only, and one for text only, and do A/B testing using the following code, for say one week for one site:
    Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
        var random_number = Math.random();
        if (random_number < .5){
            //your first ad unit code goes here 
        } else { 
            //your second ad unit code goes here 
        } 
    </script> 
    <script type="text/javascript"     src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script>
    Create channels to track the two units. Of course this could also be done for text ads only, testing different link colors etc. If you accept the risk of losing money during the period of testing, you just might get a pleasant result and potentially increase revenue on all sites. If it's one thing I've learned from Google, it is that testing is everything. What I think looks good, or my friends or family for that matter, isn't necessarily the one that works the best. The above code is okay'ed by Google btw, I got it from them a few years back.

Of course this wouldn't be 100% accurate, as having both image and text ads enabled would have them compete with each for the spot and potentially create event better results, but I suppose it would provide an indication at least.

Thanks so much for your immediate reply, Viking!

I will run the test and let's see, two weeks from now, what sort of results I have to show!

Certainly not on all the sites. That will be too time consuming for me, and also, if image ads are less good, may affect my CTR and earnings for 50% of the time. Will try on one of my mature sites and see what comes back.

you can do it simplier with
    PHP Code:
    if (rand(1,2)==1) {
    code 1
    } else {
    code 2

That would do a simple 50/50 test

or if you want to test more you could do:
    PHP Code:
    $mycodes=Array("code 1","code 2","code 3","code 4",...);
    shuffle($mycodes);
    echo 
    $mycodes[0]; 
    That would test X number of variations in split.
    Please don't click and register right now because the thing is broken.

Want traffic? Advertise on my sites today: She Told Me & Best Reviewer : 250,000+ UV / Month

shanon is right.